• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Applying to med school while in SMP or wait until after SMP?

D

deleted770098

I was planning on applying to medical schools (MD and DO) this upcoming cycle (2018-2019) with cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 508. I'm a career changer (history major, worked in accounting for a few years, started undergraduate post-bacc 3 years ago). I've gathered all my LORs, which I think are pretty strong, have 1100 hours of scribe experience, and have chemistry research on my resume. I'm also going to get a committee letter from Loyola's pre-health advisory committee.

However, I recently got into Loyola's MAMS program which starts in the fall, and I intend on enrolling. My question is, should I have an active application to med school while I am in MAMS, or should I wait until I'm done with the program?

My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?

About the Ads

Magus5454

MS3 C/O 2022
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    1. Medical Student
      My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?
      To explain further why this is a bad idea. If you do poorly, you wreck your chances. Both on the SMP/MCAT. Apply this year, find @Goro 's awesome list of schools that reward reinvention, nail your interviews, get into med school.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.