Applying to Med School without non-science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintbucketgreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a traditional applicant applying this cycle (June 2018--my 4th year at a university) and I am a little stressed out because I don't have a letter of rec from a non-science professor. The majority of my courses just happened to be science courses since this was my main area of interest. I did take a couple of anthropology courses during my sophomore year but I did not interact with those professors, and so will they be able to write me a quality letter. I'm not sure if I should try and enroll in a medical anthropology course being offered (which I would actually be interested in) and try to get to know the professor. So far I have LOR's from 1 science professor, 1 PI, 1 MD physician I shadowed, and 1 from a Child Life volunteer supervisor from my hospital volunteering (non-clinical volunteering).

Would it be worth it to try and take this medical anthropology course? Would having a non-science LOR make a big difference in my application?

Also, do AAMCAS and DO schools absolutely require the non-science letter, or is it just recommended to have one? ( I know some schools have their own requirements, and I was not able to find specific requirements anywhere on the AMCAS website)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the schools you're applying to. Some school require faculty letters, and both science and/or non-sci would work. However, some schools states that they require (usually one) non-sci faculty letter. I would contact the school to see if they will waive the requirement for you.

Source: At one point I lacked a non-sci letter as well. Always thought I would end up with more non-sci letter than sci.

*this coming cycle, this cycle hasn't ended yet

This depends on the school. Some make it an outright requirement to have a non science letter from faculty who have taught you some dont. For some schools a letter from a volunteering supervisor would count as a "non science" letter if they dont make it a requirement that your letters need to be from someone who has directly taught you in the classroom setting. Research schools you are interested in. Quite a few dont actually have the nonscience faculty requirement.

Do you have any "half science" classes? Like you, I mainly took science classes so was struggling to get a non science letter from someone who had taught me. I ended up getting one through a psych class that was 50% psych and 50% bio. I asked if my writer could emphasize the less science parts of his class and I used his letter as a non science. I have gotten interviews and acceptances from schools that require a "non science" letter so i think it went ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school have a premed Committee that is putting together a composite letter for you? In that case, ask them now and whatever they say is what you should do. If you are applying without a Committee, I would try to take a class that would enable you to develop a relationship with a professor - or reach out to professors who may not have known you well during your time in class but would be willing to get to know you better now. I applied with a Committee packet and had no real non-science letter. I had a letter from a thesis advisor who taught a few engineering classes, but the letter wasn’t an issue since my Committee didn’t require it.

If you aren’t aware, your committee’s letter rules trump individual school policies. (Yay!)

Also, no idea why my phone insists on capitalizing Committee. But I’m too lazy to fix each one...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everyone above and don't have much to add. If anything, I would say try to get another science letter of rec as some of the schools I applied to required 2 of those.

Also posting to say that I applied without a non-science letter this cycle to 30-something schools and I felt it didn't really hinder my school list. I applied to almost everywhere that I wanted to apply, received several interviews, and have been accepted. So even if you're missing this one piece, just make a smart school list and you'll be fine! If you can get that non-science letter then that's great, but if not, no need to fret! :)

If you aren’t aware, your committee’s letter rules trump individual school policies. (Yay!)

Wow, is that actually true? I had no idea.
If it is, then yeah definitely talk to your committee first and see what they say. If not, then consider taking a course you'll know you'll have questions about? I had a tough time with getting science letters tbh because I never really had questions about the material, and so I didn't get to know my science professors as well. Medical anthro wouldn't be bad either.

Does your school have a premed Committee that is putting together a composite letter for you? In that case, ask them now and whatever they say is what you should do. If you are applying without a Committee, I would try to take a class that would enable you to develop a relationship with a professor - or reach out to professors who may not have known you well during your time in class but would be willing to get to know you better now. I applied with a Committee packet and had no real non-science letter. I had a letter from a thesis advisor who taught a few engineering classes, but the letter wasn’t an issue since my Committee didn’t require it.

Also, no idea why my phone insists on capitalizing Committee. But I’m too lazy to fix each one...

My school's committee required two science and one non-science to even get an interview.

But yes, get the committee letter if it is available to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 2 science and a "non science" but the latter was from someone who was a mentor and I didnt take his class. I emailed the schools that had specific LOR requirements and every one gave me a waiver. Do try to get the committee letter if your school has one. Schools prefer that. The schools want letters from people who can vouch for your work ethic, academic ability, etc.

I didn't have non-science letter and I've been doing well as well. My committee didn't require them, and schools seem content with my committee.

I had no non-science letter and got many DO interviews.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

My school's committee required two science and one non-science to even get an interview.

But yes, get the committee letter if it is available to you.

I imagine many, if not most, do. Ours thankfully did not, but I think my thesis advisors letter would have counted in a pinch.

I did this, all my letters came from PhDs in the bio department (and only one of them had taught me in classes, others were a PI and an employer). So it can be done, because a lot of schools are relaxed and either "recommend" a nonscience letter or don't specify at all where letters should come from.

That said, there are also still schools that do require nonscience letter and/or multiple letters from professors that taught you in classes. I probably killed my chances from the start at a number of places by using the letters I did.

Edit: I should add that our prehealth office has us send them the letters, and they staple it all together and send it into AMCAS as a "letter packet" with a prehealth cover letter they add in front. If your school does something similar then you might dodge the nonscience requirements at certain places - some schools want either a committee packet or individual letters following their requirements.

Last edited:
Okay that makes me feel a lot better! I actually am enrolled in a half psych half bio course as of now so I may try with that professor! thanks everyone for your help :)

This might be really shocking but I actually am not familiar with committees :/ What are they and how would I get involved with one generally?
Edit-- just researched it and found that UCI no longer has a committee

2 science and 1 non-science essentially covers all your bases and makes you eligible for any medical school in terms of LOR requirements. Not meeting this means you need to waste time looking up each school's letter requirement. Have fun!

Edit-- just researched it and found that UCI no longer has a committee
Yeah, UCs and their lack of committees make us put in a bit more effort! If our stats our similar, I'd be happy to share my school list with you (although some of the schools I applied to required two science letters).

Yeah, UCs and their lack of committees make us put in a bit more effort! If our stats our similar, I'd be happy to share my school list with you (although some of the schools I applied to required two science letters).

You are right I looked up a few schools and they want two science letters so I’ll be working on that second letter in the meantime. By school list do you mean your interviews, acceptances, etc? Or just a list of what schools don’t need a non science LOR?

You are right I looked up a few schools and they want two science letters so I’ll be working on that second letter in the meantime. By school list do you mean your interviews, acceptances, etc? Or just a list of what schools don’t need a non science LOR?
I meant just the list I applied with if we have similar stats!

I meant just the list I applied with if we have similar stats!
Would it be possible to share your school list that doesnt require non science LOR? I was only able to get 3 science and 1 PI LOR.