Applying to more than one professional program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know someone that is filling out an application for both AACOMAS and CASPA (which is the application service for PA programs) and they asked me if I thought it was a good idea. Now since AACOMAS and CASPA are essentially the SAME exact application from what she's told me (hosted on similar websites, owned by the same organization, all the transcript entry and stuff is the same) isn't it a bad idea to apply to both?

I just have a feeling that somehow, if you apply to both of these programs and they find out about the other one you applied to, they'll see you as not fully committed to their profession and disregard your application. In my opinion the professional application love-triangle is a huge risk. I also believe that if you're not fully committed to being a DO, and if you wouldn't mind being a PA, then you probably wouldn't last in medical school anyway. But I wanted to get some input on people that might be more informed. What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't be an issue outside of trying to apply to DO and PA at the same college.

I agree...I don't believe adcoms can check other professional program applications, regardless of the site they are hosted on.

And yeah, the fully committed thing...well, that's your friend, so I'll let you handle that but I agree! It sounds like she's very unsure of her career path

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I know someone that is filling out an application for both AACOMAS and CASPA (which is the application service for PA programs) and they asked me if I thought it was a good idea. Now since AACOMAS and CASPA are essentially the SAME exact application from what she's told me (hosted on similar websites, owned by the same organization, all the transcript entry and stuff is the same) isn't it a bad idea to apply to both?

I just have a feeling that somehow, if you apply to both of these programs and they find out about the other one you applied to, they'll see you as not fully committed to their profession and disregard your application. In my opinion the professional application love-triangle is a huge risk. I also believe that if you're not fully committed to being a DO, and if you wouldn't mind being a PA, then you probably wouldn't last in medical school anyway. But I wanted to get some input on people that might be more informed. What say you?

What they're risking is having a basic science professor who happens to be ADcom for both the PA and DO program interview them, and then wonder...do they want to be a PA or a physician. The chances of it, though slim, are something that can be avoided.

It isn't a problem. I applied to both DO and PA and was accepted to both and even had interviews in both programs at the same school. It's bloody expensive though, better to choose one and go all out.