Applying to NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axe07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm planning on applying to DO school. NYCOM is my number 1 choice..I have about a 3.1 science and 3.3 overall. What's a good MCAT score to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

uppper 20's at least...and it would be good if you are from the Northeast

nycom's my top pick as well, just working on my post-bacc coursework

Members don't see this ad :)
axe07 said:
Hey everyone. I'm planning on applying to DO school. NYCOM is my number 1 choice..I have about a 3.1 science and 3.3 overall. What's a good MCAT score to get in?
NYCOM's my first choice as well. I would say above a 25. I'm aiming for 30+ like everyone else. :thumbup:

if you guys don't mind sharing... why is NYCOM your first choice?

Location, and NYCOMEC for the most part.

May I ask, How much are people paying for an apt?

Well I live in NYC and I can tell you a studio will be at least $800-$900. Out by the school it may be cheaper.

bkpa2med said:
Well I live in NYC and I can tell you a studio will be at least $800-$900. Out by the school it may be cheaper.
Doesn't appear so :( You can save money by getting some roommates though.

PlasticMan said:
Doesn't appear so :( You can save money by getting some roommates though.

Haha. Notice the plurality. It's true. Very pricey for a single, but if you get a 2 bedroom apt and get a roommate, it won't be as bad.

bigfatk said:
location [i want a ny school]
lectures are streamed

bkpa2med said:
and 800-900 is a good deal

bigfatk said:

match list, rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All-

I will be a first year this upcoming year, and, having already done my apartment search and moving, I can tell you that you can find a one bedroom for $750-$850 through Craigslist. It takes diligence, but it can be done. You will get a nicer apartment if you live with a roommate, but you can live on your own and not break the piggy bank!

I'd say a perfect score would seal the deal and if you don't, then you better find another profession! :D

Good luck! :luck:

NYCOM is also my number one choice because I'm from/live (during summer) on Long Island and want to continue living here. It's a great little bubble! :rolleyes: It would also save on the rent since I would probably live with family.

I have similar stats to the O.P. but plan on getting a perfect score on the MCATs :laugh:

is NYCOMEC really prestigious or...what's so good about it?

WOW! I've never heard of a NYC 1 bedroom apartment for only $850. What is a the square footage of such an apartment? How much would a 2 bedroom be? What kind of areas are we talking about? If it is really as doable as everyone says it is I may look into applying to schools in NYC!

Bluemirage said:
WOW! I've never heard of a NYC 1 bedroom apartment for only $850. What is a the square footage of such an apartment? How much would a 2 bedroom be? What kind of areas are we talking about? If it is really as doable as everyone says it is I may look into applying to schools in NYC!
850 isnt nyc 1 bedroom. maybe a long island apt if you can find one for that price. queens and brooklyn are cheaper than manhattan but even those prices are high as is long island real estate. in long island you have more houses which can be rented but not as many "apt's".

sime0n said:
is NYCOMEC really prestigious or...what's so good about it?

you get more exposure than you would at other schools - penetrating trauma, etc.

Where in NYC are you living and getting a studio for $800-$900? I'll tell you, if you want to live in Manhattan, it will usually run you at least $1200 for a studio, and most of those are crappy. Most decent studios I've seen are betwee $1500-$2000.

rgerwin said:
Where in NYC are you living and getting a studio for $800-$900? I'll tell you, if you want to live in Manhattan, it will usually run you at least $1200 for a studio, and most of those are crappy. Most decent studios I've seen are betwee $1500-$2000.
This all depends where in Manhattan you are living. For instance, places in Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood are still technically "Manhattan" but are much cheaper. My gf lives in Inwood, which actually has some pretty decent neighborhoods with some decent buildings.

Good point. I had a friend in Wash Heights that had a 2 bdrm for $1500. It was filled with roaches, but then so are many pricey digs in other areas.

rgerwin said:
Good point. I had a friend in Wash Heights that had a 2 bdrm for $1500. It was filled with roaches, but then so are many pricey digs in other areas.

yea whats up with that? I hear this alot about apartment buildings in NY...are they seriously all infested with roaches?

CuttinEmUp said:
yea whats up with that? I hear this alot about apartment buildings in NY...are they seriously all infested with roaches?

i work in a hospital in manhattan and i see roaches quite often (at least for a hospital) and these are not just your little every day roaches. with the legs and everything they are probably the size of a small mouse. :barf:

Mine wasn't, but it was recently renovated. Here are some tips in upping your chances of a roach-free home:

1. Do NOT ever live above a food establishment.
2. Choose newer buildings over older ones.
3. When you inspect an apartment check under sinks for roach traps b/c no landlord or real estate agent is going to admit it to you.
4. Never leave food out. Try to seal food in plastic bags/tupperware.

bigfatk said:
i work in a hospital in manhattan and i see roaches quite often (at least for a hospital) and these are not just your little every day roaches. with the legs and everything they are probably the size of a small mouse. :barf:

bigfatk said:

dude ... that is one of the sickest things ive heard!

I dont know why..not alot of things get under my skin, but roaches disgust me.

Im applying to NYCOM too, man..i hope i get rejected. :eek:

CuttinEmUp said:
It's not just the buildings...I see them running around on the sidewalk sometimes! :eek:

PlasticMan said:
It's not just the buildings...I see them running around on the sidewalk sometimes! :eek:

maybe thats the special ingredient that makes NY pizza so "special"

:barf:

Dude, I used to see roahces that huge in Boston at MGH. Infact, one was on a computer. I almost touched it. And, there were mice in the blood bank.