• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Applying to os program

Tracaton

Sep 14, 2015
    I would like to know if i have a. chance in getting into a os residency. I have been working as a dentist for 12 years. I have decided to go back and do OS. What are my chances of getting in. What can i do to improve my chances?

About the Ads

agent2362

10+ Year Member
    Army
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. Attending Physician
      I would recommond taking a practice NBME at the NBME website. They can be purchased for $50-60. This version of the test is a score out of 800. you can find a conversion table for comparative scores to the NBME CBSE (2digit score out of 100- this is test version we take) and the USMLE step 1 (3 digit score out of 300 - med students take this test), since they are essentially the same test, just different lengths. The NBMEs are 184-200Qs long and the STep 1 is currently 308Qs (I believe). You should be shooting for a 65-70+ score on your NBME to be competitive. Use Pathoma (go over multiple times), FirstAid for the USMLE Step 1 and UWorld qbank. If you want to start with an easier q bank, use UMSLERx for a little but UWorld is the ultimate tool. Expect Qbank averages below 50% when you start and maybe 60-70% toward the end. At your stage in the game, if I were you, I would plan to study at least 4-5 months solid in the evenings with a dedicated 2-3 week portion before the test.

I am in the same position as you (except I'm only about 2-3 yrs out). Depending on your grades from school and also even more likely since you have been so far removed from dental school, you will likely have to do a 1 year internship, as I predict that I will have to do.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.