applying to PGY2 bypassing PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmali99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any pharmacist here who applied to PGY2 without going through PGY1,
if Yes, what did you submit for the requirements and how difficult to gather all you need for the Phorcas application process, also how frequently done and approved.

Thank you for the clarifications,

Members don't see this ad.

You must complete an ASHP accredited PGY1 to do an accredited PGY2.

Potentially you could go straight into an unaccredited PGY2, but I don’t know that many of them anymore. Of note, no one actually cares if your residency was accredited, unless you’re trying to do an accredited PGY2.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing! I had no idea!

Bypassing a PGY1 is permissible if you have at least three years experience in pharmacy, in addition to a whole slew of other requirements. (https://www.ashp.org/-/media/assets...s/docs/pgy1-residency-exemption-criteria.ashx)

as to how difficult that process is, I have no idea. I can't imagine it's terribly common, so there may not be many here who can speak to it.

Now this at least makes sense to me: 3 years of related work in the pharmacy ( that some have managed to bypass and opt out of a PGY1 to begin with).

I’d be very curious as well if anyone has done this recently. I thought this was a thing of the past and everyone has to do a PGY1 these days. Truthfully, I’d be somewhat worried doing a PGY2-of-anything without undergoing the first graduate year.

My mind has been blown...

yeah I genuinely didn't know it was a thing, I just googled it. Whether or not pgy2 programs will consider such a candidate is a whole other thing. I feel like a lot of foundation is laid in PGY1 that isn't just clinical knowledge, but a lot of other projects, presentations, and extraneous responsibilities. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now this at least makes sense to me: 3 years of related work in the pharmacy ( that some have managed to bypass and opt out of a PGY1 to begin with).

I’d be very curious as well if anyone has done this recently. I thought this was a thing of the past and everyone has to do a PGY1 these days. Truthfully, I’d be somewhat worried doing a PGY2-of-anything without undergoing the first graduate year.

My mind has been blown...

Not necessarily. I work as an intern in a hospital right now. We have quite a few pharmacists that didn’t do a PGY1 and were trained on the job. One is even the Oncology supervisor. Any one of them can go straight to a PGY2 and be successful

Not necessarily. I work as an intern in a hospital right now. We have quite a few pharmacists that didn’t do a PGY1 and were trained on the job. One is even the Oncology supervisor. Any one of them can go straight to a PGY2 and be successful

For my own clarification: you’re saying the oncology supervisor went straight to PGY2 or that he/she solely was trained on the job?

For my own clarification: you’re saying the oncology supervisor went straight to PGY2 or that he/she solely was trained on the job?

No never did a PGY2. She was trained as a clinical pharmacist right out of school(staff pharmacist first), then went on to train in the chemo infusion center, then recently got the supervisor pharmacist position there. Very smart and could definitely go straight to a PGY2 without doing PGY1. There are several pharmacists like that at my hospital without PGY1 in clinical roles. I think bypassing a PGY1 would definitely apply to them. I actually met one pharmacist that worked here for 4 years as a pharmacist, then applied to the PGY1 and got it. Though I’m not sure why: 4 years pharmacist hospital experience vs. PGY1? She actually said it was unfair because she had a big advantage over the other residents and it was really easy.

No never did a PGY2. She was trained as a clinical pharmacist right out of school(staff pharmacist first), then went on to train in the chemo infusion center, then recently got the supervisor pharmacist position there. Very smart and could definitely go straight to a PGY2 without doing PGY1. There are several pharmacists like that at my hospital without PGY1 in clinical roles. I think bypassing a PGY1 would definitely apply to them. I actually met one pharmacist that worked here for 4 years as a pharmacist, then applied to the PGY1 and got it. Though I’m not sure why: 4 years pharmacist hospital experience vs. PGY1? She actually said it was unfair because she had a big advantage over the other residents and it was really easy.

I genuinely don't understand why someone would go back to do a residency after working as a pharmacist for several years. The pay cut alone :wideyed:

I genuinely don't understand why someone would go back to do a residency after working as a pharmacist for several years. The pay cut alone :wideyed:

Yeah I agree, she actually did it after I started pharmacy school, so since I only worked on my breaks, I never got a chance to ask her why. It was odd to me too. She’s finishing up this year. I’m thinking she’s trying to leave and go somewhere else which is asking for a residency. I haven’t really looked at the job market, but I would think across the country, actual hospital experience as a pharmacist trumps a PGY1 on a resume, doesn’t it?

Why would the oncology supervisor want to do a PGY2 in oncology?

Why would the oncology supervisor want to do a PGY2 in oncology?

Well she could do a PGY2 in Critcal Care. She’s trained in that too. I was just saying what her current position is. The only reason I can think of someone already hospital trained wanting to do a PGY1 or 2 is that maybe they want to go somewhere else and they can market themselves better? I don’t know. We also had an overnight RPh staff pharmacist trained on the job that decided to go back and get his PharmD. after 10 years..I asked if he wanted to be a clinical pharmacist on the floor..no..are you getting a raise by getting the PharmD..no...he just wanted to have it. I don’t understand that either.