Applying to Pharmacy School This Fall-Chicago Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lol14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm just seeking some advice for what my chances are getting into Pharmacy school. I currently attend a 4 year university in Chicago and I am looking to apply to UIC as an early decision applicant. I know that UIC is one of the best in the city, and I am just getting more and more nervous as to if I will actually get in when it comes to applying. A little about me, I am a biology major and I am very involved in things other than school work. I am a licensed pharmacy technician at a retail pharmacy with multiple customer service awards and also a supplemental instruction leader for math courses (Supplemental instruction is is me helping students pass difficult math classes such as trig and precalc using group tutoring and collaborative learning techniques). I also just received notice that I will be not only continue to be a supplemental instruction leader next semester, but I will also be a team leader/mentor for the program at my university. I am also working on becoming a lead technician if the pharmacy I work for has the budget. Starting this summer, I am also volunteering at a community health clinic as a pharmacy technician. What I am nervous about is my grades. This year I had a lot of family stuff come up causing a lot of distraction in my personal and academic life. Because of this I have four C+'s and one C on my transcript, everything else is A's and B's. I guess I am just wondering if I still have a chance to be admitted into UIC as an early decision applicant? I am taking the PCAT in July, and I will have all of the prereqs finished by the end of spring semester. My advisor said that Pharmacy Schools are actually having difficulty filling up their spots for an incoming class and said that everything should be okay, but I am just discouraged by those grades I earned this past year. I am just needing some honest advice as to what my chances are. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My current GPA is 3.33. I'm not sure what it was last year, but it was a little higher than that. I am taking my physics class during summer session and I'm expecting to do well in that class, so I am hoping it will go up a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to PharmCAS, the average GPA of 2016 applicants was 3.4 and to be competitive the PCAT was 76%. Pharmacy schools in general are having trouble filling their spots, but UIC in particular? Maybe not. If StartClass is to be believed, UIC accepts 12.7% of all applicants which is pretty selective. I feel confident you can get an interview with your background and GPA. Getting in? Decent. Likely, it will have to be your PCAT that balances your lower GPA. If early doesn't work out, you could boost your grades by taking classes in the fall and applying regular. Of course, a well-written essay that is genuine and memorable as well as strong LORs will push you into stronger territory. In fact, someone of your background had better have strong LORs.

Thank you so much for the advice. My LORs are coming from a pharmacy supervisor in corporate from CVS and my Microbiology professor. Would you recommend choosing another one or do you think that is sufficient? If yes, I could have the Pharmacy Manager I work under and/or my supervisor for supplemental instruction write it. My personal statement is coming along as well, one of my writing professors and my friend who is one of the top editors in the school paper will be reading it over when I am done with it. If it adds anything, I usually do not get nervous for interviews and if offered an interview I know I would be able to provide a lot of personal and situational answers that pertain to my experience as a leader and a pharmacy technician. I have also been studying for the PCAT for a couple months now and have been using the Kaplan PCAT book as my main study source. Thank you so much again for the feedback :)

It would help to have a third LOR to illuminate more of your character and actions. It would be best to avoid overlapping information so choose the reference that overlaps least with the CVS supervisor and the professor.

As for interview day, UIC does multiple mini interviews (MMI) and has a writing assessment. MMI is a different interview format and it behooves you to look it up. It is quite different from the standard interview. The writing assessment is also something to practice.

Perfect, I definitely think that my supervisor for supplemental instruction would be the person to ask then.

I will definitely look up that interview process and practice those situations.

Another question I have is if I do not get accepted as an early decision applicant, would my chances be better if I applied during regular decision?

If you're rejected during ED, you cannot reapply as regular. If you are deferred as ED, you automatically go into the regular applicant pool. As for if ED will improve your chances for pharmacy school and/or this school in general I cannot say. Try reading last year's UIC class thread for your research.

Thanks again! This has really helped!