Applying to Rads, need advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Essentially nothing you can do to boost your chances. Maybe a research project that you can talk about on an interview.

The score drop is what it is. Sucks it happened. But it did. Prepare a statement if anyone asks about it. But I doubt they will.

Apply where you want to go. Maybe you’ll get that super awesome place in NYC. Maybe you’ll get a community program in NYC. Maybe you’ll get nothing in NYC and match elsewhere like Rochester or Syracuse. No one knows this info. It’s all
stupidly random. You’re more or less an average candidate. But you’re apparently going to apply very broadly so no reason that you won’t match based on the info you’ve provided.

TYs are more of a black box than the advanced programs. Should apply to prelims too.

This is the seventh time in two days you’ve posted about this. I know it’s a stressful time. But someone with your app applying to that many programs and not matching is borderline unprecedented.
 
Last edited:
Essentially nothing you can do to boost your chances. Maybe a research project that you can talk about on an interview.

The score drop is what it is. Sucks it happened. But it did. Prepare a statement if anyone asks about it. But I doubt they will.

Apply where you want to go. Maybe you’ll get that super awesome place in NYC. Maybe you’ll get a community program in NYC. Maybe you’ll get nothing in NYC and match elsewhere like Rochester or Syracuse. No one knows this info. It’s all
stupidly random. You’re more or less an average candidate. But you’re apparently going to apply very broadly so no reason that you won’t match based on the info you’ve provided.

TYs are more of a black box than the advanced programs. Should apply to prelims too.

This is the seventh time in two days you’ve posted about this. I know it’s a stressful time. But someone with your app applying to that many programs and not matching is borderline unprecedented.

I appreciate your honesty.
It takes 7th time to have someone really reply back to me, so I was a little desperate. I was very concerned that the drop of step2 will closes lots of doors. And it bothers me when I think I can't practice near my family. Yet, I thank you for your reply.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Essentially nothing you can do to boost your chances. Maybe a research project that you can talk about on an interview.

The score drop is what it is. Sucks it happened. But it did. Prepare a statement if anyone asks about it. But I doubt they will.

Apply where you want to go. Maybe you’ll get that super awesome place in NYC. Maybe you’ll get a community program in NYC. Maybe you’ll get nothing in NYC and match elsewhere like Rochester or Syracuse. No one knows this info. It’s all
stupidly random. You’re more or less an average candidate. But you’re apparently going to apply very broadly so no reason that you won’t match based on the info you’ve provided.

TYs are more of a black box than the advanced programs. Should apply to prelims too.

This is the seventh time in two days you’ve posted about this. I know it’s a stressful time. But someone with your app applying to that many programs and not matching is borderline unprecedented.

Also, I thought I posted at the MD forum...desperate makes mistakes...
 
Hi all,

I’m a 4th year from low-tier med school. I’m planning to apply for DR this year. My brief summary of app as follows:

I’m a US army veteran. Did bunch of volunteers during med school. 4H (surg&IM) and 2HP during Clerkships. Published couple case reports and submitted two radiology paper to RSNA that still under review (I’m the 1st and 2nd authors). Four strong letters from gen surgery, IM, two from radiologists. I got 247 on step1 but got 241 on step2.

I want to do DR residency at New York, preferably New York City where my family lives. Can you guys let me know if I have any chances match into a competitive DR residency at NY? Or anywhere? (I’m really concern of my drop in step2 score)


I know it’s a little bit late but is there anything I can do to boost my application a lit bit more? Or increases my chances?


I’m thinking to apply 80-100 programs

What’s my odds of getting into TY programs?

Any guidance/advices are appreciated, thank you so much.
OP listen to @Ho0v-man, he knows what he's talking about
 
I'm not sure anyone here can give you the answer that you want, which is that your drop will not prevent you from getting a competitive spot in NYC. Who can say where you'll end up? This whole process is a ****show.

Personally, I think you have a pretty decent app. I don't think the drop on step 2 is as big of a deal as you are making it out to be, but you may have to explain it if it comes up. If you don't match a competitive NYC spot, it probably has more to do with other things (like being a DO with average to good board scores) more than it does with just that one score. I also don't think you need to apply to 100 programs, but I'm in the same boat as you, so take my advice for what it is.
 
I'm not sure anyone here can give you the answer that you want, which is that your drop will not prevent you from getting a competitive spot in NYC. Who can say where you'll end up? This whole process is a ****show.

Personally, I think you have a pretty decent app. I don't think the drop on step 2 is as big of a deal as you are making it out to be, but you may have to explain it if it comes up. If you don't match a competitive NYC spot, it probably has more to do with other things (like being a DO with average to good board scores) more than it does with just that one score. I also don't think you need to apply to 100 programs, but I'm in the same boat as you, so take my advice for what it is.

I appreciate your input mate, I think I didn't make it clear that I'm in MD school, plus I posted in the wrong forum...
 
Dude, you are gonna be fine. Chill.

I would worry far more about how you present yourself on interviews than applying to so many programs. It is way more important for rads to have a good interview.
 
Doesn’t Rads have like a 90%+ match rate for first choice specialty? Unless OP straight up failed step 1, it shouldn’t be a “daunting” task for USMD/DO.. it’s not as competitive as people are making it out to be. Just look at the 2020 charting outcomes.
 
Doesn’t Rads have like a 90%+ match rate for first choice specialty? Unless OP straight up failed step 1, it shouldn’t be a “daunting” task for USMD/DO.. it’s not as competitive as people are making it out to be. Just look at the 2020 charting outcomes.
That person will have no trouble matching. They wanted to know about matching competitive programs in NYC which is much different.
 
Doesn’t Rads have like a 90%+ match rate for first choice specialty? Unless OP straight up failed step 1, it shouldn’t be a “daunting” task for USMD/DO.. it’s not as competitive as people are making it out to be. Just look at the 2020 charting outcomes.
Idk bout charting and all that stuff but is rads still possible with a 216 step 1?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. There’s a lot of spots and the average is skewed upwards by the superstars and the people who match it as a surgical sub backup.
ahh tru, I hope you're right. I just finally took a look at the charting and it seems like a pretty good chance as an MD with that score, but as a DO it seems like 50/50. Guess step 2 will determine my fate fml
 
ahh tru, I hope you're right. I just finally took a look at the charting and it seems like a pretty good chance as an MD with that score, but as a DO it seems like 50/50. Guess step 2 will determine my fate fml
Know a DO who matched a really good community program with a 197 step 1. Only went to number 4 on his ROL. It’s possible. But he was white-knuckling all through 4th year lol.
 
Yes. There’s a lot of spots and the average is skewed upwards by the superstars and the people who match it as a surgical sub backup.
Is that why I see these high averages on charting outcomes yet only 14 didn't match in 2020?

Trying to research potential back up specialties lol.
 
Is that why I see these high averages on charting outcomes yet only 14 didn't match in 2020?

Trying to research potential back up specialties lol.
Yeah the higher stat programs are pretty big. I think like the top 20 have enough slots for ~1/3 of all the USMDs that apply. But there’s a lot of community programs/“low-tier” university programs. That are totally fair game with scores >220 step1. And the majority of them are pretty good too!

edit: the 197 story is an outlier tbh.