Applying to University of Texas Pharmacy College!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonno1288

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in the process of applying to UT pharmacy college and I had a few questions. If anyone is also applying to UT could they be so kind as to help me out? Thanks a lot!

1st - On the work/volunteer info portion of the on-line application, would it be better to send a resume instead of filling out the text boxes? I know people who did that but I've also heard that if you don't have that much info, writing a resume can actually hurt you more than help you.

2nd - Under Work experience, it says to list pharmacy/health care related work experience relevant to your application. Last summer I worked in a CVS pharmacy, but it was in the front office as a photo lab technician. I believe that I learned a lot about retail though, and I made sure to interact a lot with the pharmacists and techs.

Well, that's the questions I have for now. This is the 1st time I'll be applying to pharmacy college and I'll only be applying to UT. Unfortunately UH and Texas Tech both require a pharmacists recommendation. To make a long story short, I don't have a pharmacists recommendation.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible for you to go back to that CVS even just to shadow for a bit so you could get a recomendation from one of their pharmacists? It seems like it would be fairly easy since you already know them.

Well, I was going to ask the pharmacist who worked there when I was there but unfortunately she moved out of state. As for the other pharmacists, well I feel uncomfortable getting a recommendation from a pharmacist who I barely know. What would you guys do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jonno1288 said:
Well, I was going to ask the pharmacist who worked there when I was there but unfortunately she moved out of state. As for the other pharmacists, well I feel uncomfortable getting a recommendation from a pharmacist who I barely know. What would you guys do in my situation?

I'm also applying to UT COP (first time) and this will be the only school that I will be applying. :D
I would put the CVS retail experience, and maybe ask the tech to write a recommendation (?). Or you could see if the pharmacist that left has a forwarding address; maybe you could get in touch with him/her. Have you tried maybe volunteering at a pharmacy, possibly at a pharmacy affiliated with a hospice in your area. This is what I did, and because the pharmacy at the hospice was not as busy as a retail pharmacy or regular hospital pharmacy would be, I have been able to get a lot of personalized attention and training from the pharmacist. I know that it's getting close to the deadline, but you could explain your situation to the pharmacist.
Hope this helps with some ideas, and good luck!
:) Giz

Thanks for the advice! Actually, I did do some hospital volunteering at St. David's Medical Center. You're right about a hospital pharmacy being less busy. Most of the time the pharmacists just sat around chatting! As for the retail experience, I went ahead and put it down. A little extra job experience never hurts. Good luck to you too!

In my opinion without a Pharmacist letter your chances may drop. I mean look at the profession you want to go into. It only makes sense to have a pharmacist write a letter. I would strongly recommend getting a pharmacists letter. If you don't be sure to explain yourself well in the written statement. If you have any other questions PM me.

Jason

What's up Jason aka DocRx? Ready for another semester of this? :thumbdown:

Back to the question. I strongly recommend having a Pharmacist's Recommendation but only if they know you well enough to write a good one. A letter from someone who barely knows you will look bad, if not worser, than to not have one at all.

Good luck to everyone applying this year! :thumbup:

I'm interested in applying to UT Austin for Fall 2006. What have you heard about the school? I've seen some negative reviews in the SND Interview section, so I was just curious...

hey guys! I was just wondering if those that are applying to UT COP have finished their personal statement and if so if they could help me out some...I'm just stuck and its the last essay that I have to write but I just don' tknow how to answer all the questions. If anyone has their essay that they wouldn't mind reading please PM it to me! Thanks!

I'm looking at UT requirements right now and it shows that a resume is required to complete the application. You have to mail it in to them along with the certification page and the application fee. So I'm thinking you should do both--put the volunteer stuff in the box and include it on your resume. Check out www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/instruct.html.

... To my texas people, does anyone have an interview date with the texas schools... especially UT & UH... i've seen a few for Jan. 27th for UH.. but any others... and if so, when did u turn in ur application?... pllllllleeeeeeeassssssseee reply