Applying with bare minimum biology courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juoksentelisinkohan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in the upcoming cycle, aiming for T20 schools, but I will only have two biology courses completed (genetics and microbiology, both with lab). I have AP credit for general biology and took biochemistry (which is listed in the Biology department), but my advisor said that biochem only counts as a chemistry although it was taught very much like a biology course. I also took an interdisciplinary ethnobotany course with lab, but it wasn't really a traditional biology course.

My stats are good (4.0/524) and I have taken many upper level chemistry classes as a math major, so I don't think it'll look like I'm avoiding difficult courses. However, could my lack of upper level biology courses be a red flag or taken to mean that I'm not interested?

Looking ahead, there is a chance that my spring semester grades will not arrive in time for early AMCAS submission, and I'm in microbiology right now. Would it be horrible to submit with only 5 semesters of grades and only one biology with lab with grades?

Members don't see this ad.

you are fine. Many true post-baccs (those with no real science undergrad coursework) take the bare minimum - 2 semesters basic bio, 2 chem, 2 physics, 1 org chem and 1 biochem. It can be challenging for the first couple weeks of med school when many of your classmates have already had more physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, etc, but I find that it all evens out pretty quickly. And based on your GPA and MCAT, you learn pretty quickly!!!

Dude, you don't even have to be a science major to get into med school