Applying with intention to defer for military deployment...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gshocked

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question for anyone with experience in the subject who can shed some light.

I plan to matriculate in the Fall of 2017. However, I have a military deployment starting in the Spring of 2016 that will last through the AMCAS window. My connectivity will be limited, and I don't want to bank on having the free time to work up an AMCAS application during that deployment. Because of this, I am applying this cycle (as if I would matriculate in the fall of 2016).

My question is, do I disclose the fact upfront that I'll be asking for a deferment, or do I wait for an acceptance and then ask?

I plan on only applying to schools that the MSAR lists as granting deferments; and I know that even if a school grants deferments, they aren't a given.

Members don't see this ad.

Following.

Side note: You could dodge the deployment for medical school easily though.

Following.

Side note: You could dodge the deployment for medical school easily though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you absolutely certain you are deploying? 6, 9, 12 months? Since we don't know your academic background, my one concern would be any interviews that might pop up during that time.

Seeing you are deploying next year, are you truly going to have the free time to go to interviews in the fall/winter? Not every school interviews on the weekends.

BLACKMD - Acknowledge that I could go to medical school instead of deploying; however, my last deployment was very developmental, and I would like to get another one in before school. These are a large part of the reason I delayed medical school for active service.

wxman393 - I wouldn't deploy until after this interview cycle is over. I will have the ability to take any interview I receive - my command is relatively lenient on granting passes/leave.

gonnif - What you said makes sense. Wait until I have an acceptance, and then ask for a deferment at that point. No need in offering up reasons for them not to offer a seat.