Applying without ORGO 2 as a non trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nibhighfootballrules

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience applying to schools without ORGO 2? My post bac program did not offer orgo 2 but rather a 4 credit orgo lecture with a 1 credit lab. I completed two semesters of biochem also. For the majority of schools I am applying to this is not an issue however the texas schools all require 8 course hours. Do you think it is possible to apply to these schools still as an exception/ would I be able to take orgo 2 after applying if necessary. any advice is much appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No that’s why they are called requirements. Yes you can take it while/after applying. Just need it done before you matriculate.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any experience applying to schools without ORGO 2? My post bac program did not offer orgo 2 but rather a 4 credit orgo lecture with a 1 credit lab. I completed two semesters of biochem also. For the majority of schools I am applying to this is not an issue however the texas schools all require 8 course hours. Do you think it is possible to apply to these schools still as an exception/ would I be able to take orgo 2 after applying if necessary. any advice is much appreciated. thanks
Call all the schools you are planning to apply to and ask them.

Apply when you have the best possible app. Do not cut corners.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Ochem 2 is a weed-out course. Applying without it is like applying without one of your MCAT sections being scored. Unless everything else about your application screams "this individual would have beyond a shadow of a doubt gotten an A in Ochem II," then wait until you have taken it.

Rhetorical question: aside from it being required at almost every school, thus assuming its required where you're applying, why would they make an exception for you when they have 6-8k people applying for like 50-250 seats, and every other person has the requirements met?

That aside, there are only 1-2 programs I know of off hand that dont require it. Applying to only 1-2 schools is pointless as with a normal, complete app, chances are already small. Also, just because it's not required doesnt mean that no on has them. The majority, if not all who go to this(these) schools have it because they most likely applied elsewhere as well that required it.

TLDR: No, don't apply with out it because you'd be limited yourself and setting yourself up for failure.

Did you take the MCAT yet? It's helpful for that anyway. Don't hurt yourself in 2 weeks with the same things.

Rhetorical question: aside from it being required at almost every school, thus assuming its required where you're applying, why would they make an exception for you when they have 6-8k people applying for like 50-250 seats, and every other person has the requirements met?

That aside, there are only 1-2 programs I know of off hand that dont require it. Applying to only 1-2 schools is pointless as with a normal, complete app, chances are already small. Also, just because it's not required doesnt mean that no on has them. The majority, if not all who go to this(these) schools have it because they most likely applied elsewhere as well that required it.

TLDR: No, don't apply with out it because you'd be limited yourself and setting yourself up for failure.

Did you take the MCAT yet? It's helpful for that anyway. Don't hurt yourself in 2 weeks with the same things.

My apologies for using the word "exception" in no way do I think I would be given preferential treatment. By exception I meant considering the fact most schools are trending towards only requiring 1 semester of orgo with the second being replaced by biochem (contrary to your point this is the overall trend in many programs) maybe it were possible that they would allow only one semester of orgo if they planned on changing that in the near future. I understand that is a question for admissions offices though.

Real reason for original post is perception by adcoms. The orgo I took replaces 1&2 according to the university, it combines the content from both courses thus making it more course hours than regular orgo 1 but less than 1 and 2. The university I completed my post bacc at has this course for pre meds because they understand the trend in prereqs for professional schools and the new compacted course I am assuming leaves out some of the extraneous info.

Having already taken my mcat and received a 521 I did not feel it impacted me at all, but as a career changer who left the finance industry following business school my lack of "upper level" science courses is a concern seeing as time and money were a factor I only took 2 semesters biochem ad cell bio on top of my pre requisites, thus why I was asking if not having orgo 2 would be a red flag.

Sorry for the confusion, I appreciate all the advice.

My apologies for using the word "exception" in no way do I think I would be given preferential treatment. By exception I meant considering the fact most schools are trending towards only requiring 1 semester of orgo with the second being replaced by biochem (contrary to your point this is the overall trend in many programs) maybe it were possible that they would allow only one semester of orgo if they planned on changing that in the near future. I understand that is a question for admissions offices though.

Real reason for original post is perception by adcoms. The orgo I took replaces 1&2 according to the university, it combines the content from both courses thus making it more course hours than regular orgo 1 but less than 1 and 2. The university I completed my post bacc at has this course for pre meds because they understand the trend in prereqs for professional schools and the new compacted course I am assuming leaves out some of the extraneous info.

Having already taken my mcat and received a 521 I did not feel it impacted me at all, but as a career changer who left the finance industry following business school my lack of "upper level" science courses is a concern seeing as time and money were a factor I only took 2 semesters biochem ad cell bio on top of my pre requisites, thus why I was asking if not having orgo 2 would be a red flag.

Sorry for the confusion, I appreciate all the advice.

How many hours difference are we talking? I would say that in an ideal world, an adcom member would thoroughly peruse every individual application and come to the realization that the course you took was a combined 1+2, but the reality is, they probably will not. However, as a non-trad with a good MCAT, it might not be that detrimental. I would probably consider it if your overall GPA is above a 3.85. The lack of upper-division science classes may be more of a problem because the MCAT doesn't test the depth of knowledge, it tests breadth (plus test-taking strategy). There is a lot of content in medical school that thankfully I learned in undergrad during upper-division classes, and I would say that is probably applicable to all medical curricula because the content is in first aid.

Still not a deal-breaker, but, all things being equal, if you have the time, I would crank out a semester and rock Ochem 2 and at least 1 or 2 upper-division classes. Ochem 2 won't help you too much in med school, but something like human physiology or neuropsychopharm will help immensely when you get to med school.

Thanks for the advice. As a non trad with a weak (3.0) undergrad non science gpa the lack of upper level courses might be my Achilles heel but with money and timing it worked out like that, hoping the 3.97 in prereqs can help my app from being screened out. Will definitely look to taking some upper level courses this summer after applying if feasible. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied as a non-trad without Orgo 2. My postbac program didn't require it; I took one semester of orgo then biochem, but I did take the equivalent of two semesters of orgo lab. It wasn't a problem at all. My pre-med counselor and I verified that it met the requirements (as most schools have a loophole for any curriculum deemed "equivalent"). I got accepted into four school, two of which are in Texas and one of which is a T20. So I wouldn't worry too much about it! It's one tiny part of a vast application.

I applied as a non-trad without Orgo 2. My postbac program didn't require it; I took one semester of orgo then biochem, but I did take the equivalent of two semesters of orgo lab. It wasn't a problem at all. My pre-med counselor and I verified that it met the requirements (as most schools have a loophole for any curriculum deemed "equivalent"). I got accepted into four school, two of which are in Texas and one of which is a T20. So I wouldn't worry too much about it! It's one tiny part of a vast application.

Thanks for the response. Do you mind me asking what your undergraduate degree was in/ any advice on how you chose your school list as a non trad?

Thanks for the response. Do you mind me asking what your undergraduate degree was in/ any advice on how you chose your school list as a non trad?

My degrees were in the humanities, totally unrelated to anything medical or scientific (barring some sociology and cultural anthropology). As for choosing schools, I chose schools mainly due to location. My partner can really only find his particular type of work in large cities and we had pretty strong location preferences, so that limited my choices a lot. I also applied to all of the Texas schools located in/around large cities because I'm in-state for Texas and state schools are your best backups. So I just let location narrow down my list for the most part. Other than that, I focused on schools where I could easily follow my interests (social determinants of health, population-based health, women's healthcare) and excluded any hyper competitive schools that I didn't have any particular interest in (I want to go into primary care, so why waste time and money applying to Harvard when I don't really want to go to Harvard?).

My best advice for making a list is to be honest with yourself. Apply to schools who match your interests and your scores and you'll be fine; don't focus too much on ranking or where you "should" try to go. Focus on your particular needs and strengths. Our best strength as non-traditional students is that we know ourselves better than people coming straight out of undergrad.

My degrees were in the humanities, totally unrelated to anything medical or scientific (barring some sociology and cultural anthropology). As for choosing schools, I chose schools mainly due to location. My partner can really only find his particular type of work in large cities and we had pretty strong location preferences, so that limited my choices a lot. I also applied to all of the Texas schools located in/around large cities because I'm in-state for Texas and state schools are your best backups. So I just let location narrow down my list for the most part. Other than that, I focused on schools where I could easily follow my interests (social determinants of health, population-based health, women's healthcare) and excluded any hyper competitive schools that I didn't have any particular interest in (I want to go into primary care, so why waste time and money applying to Harvard when I don't really want to go to Harvard?).

My best advice for making a list is to be honest with yourself. Apply to schools who match your interests and your scores and you'll be fine; don't focus too much on ranking or where you "should" try to go. Focus on your particular needs and strengths. Our best strength as non-traditional students is that we know ourselves better than people coming straight out of undergrad.

I appreciate the honest advice. Since leaving my job in finance 2.5 years ago the application process has always been the last thing on my mind. I knew from the beginning I had a long road ahead of me so I just focused on each step without ever concerning myself with what school I would want to attend. It was kind of a surreal moment when I finally met with my post bacc advisor last week and she asked what my dream school was. In my mind any school that would let me pursue medicine is a dream school. Its so easy to get obsessed with the numbers and for someone in my position with a low business gpa a solid mcat and post bacc gpa there is no "perfect" fit stats wise. This was exactly what I needed to hear, its not about finding the school where the numbers make sense its about finding the school that will provide me with the best opportunity to pursue the medical path I am interested in. Thank you very much for your insight.

Orgo 2 is becoming kind of outdated, at least in every Florida medical school and many other schools. Schools now value biochemistry and will usually accept a semester of biochemistry in place of Orgo 2, but of course, you need to look at your specific school's requirements.