applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gamma Girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of programs that were on ERAS last year are not this year?? Is there a reason for that? Besides making applying more difficult does it make spots harder to get?

Also, I know you can do pgy-1 in anything, but does anyone have opinions on what is the best thing to do? ie, transitional vs. medicine??

Thanks!! I am just feeling overwhelmed applying and don't know anyone else that has applied!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

Im applying this year too. Glad to see this forum for my many questions! I didn't notice this about programs not going through ERAS. Which ones are you thinking of? I only know of MCW and Duke. Im just getting started with this stuff but the ones that I have contacted seemed to be going through eras.

How many programs are you applying to? Im thinking 20-25 which seems like a huge number but better to have too many interviews than not enough, I guess.

Also, do you know anything about step 2 and radonc? Do you think that it woudl be a negative not to have scores before interviews?

Thanks!
Ann

Oh - and as for the prelim year. I guess Im going to go for the transitional year - both because it gives more flexibility to take hem/onc, path, radiology, etc and because it should be a little easier!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would reccomend you apply to as many programs as you can. Its highly competitive and I've seen top applicants sink way down their list. I also reccomend any research you can get down prior to application. Clinical or bench.

U Penn and TJU look like they are new to being non-eras. Also, are you referring to MCV in virginia?? If so, check to see if they have spots next year before applying...it looks like they don't have anything available based on frieda information.

Not sure about step 2, I am taking it now because I really don't want to have to worry about taking a big test later....I call this senioritis!!

Thanks for the info...I have tons of research but am still worried anyway!! So I will also be applying to about 20 programs.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person stressing out about these non-eras applications. My apartment has been kind of messy lately with all these piles of folders and a type-writer on my coffee table. Hey, but they don't seem to charge an application fee. woo hoo... So one thing I've noticed with these applications is that some programs don't ask for an essay - just recommendation letters. I suppose they'd rather be hearing things from people they know, huh? It would seem to me that people from med schools with big name rad onc attendings might be at an advantage. Grr... OK, back to the type-writer.

Last year, of the programs that I looked at (mostly southeast),
Emory, Duke, and Vandy were all non-ERAS. Don't know what
it looks like this year. MCV was not taking applicants, nor was
UNC. I personally did not apply to any non-ERAS schools, mostly
because I didn't want to pester my letter writers. I probably
took a big roll of the dice, because I only ended up applying to
eight schools. But, it worked out. My understanding is that a
good number of the programs in rad onc already know who
they want (and know the applicant wants them), so they don't
bother with ERAS. It is a very tight knit field and it is very
helpful to do rotations at places with folks who pull some
weight. Even if you don't match at their program, they will talk
to other program directors and get you in the door there.
As to prelim year, I'm currently doing medicine. I felt like I would
learn more there than I would in a transitional program and
certainly more than in a surgery prelim (can you say scutmonkey).
Also, I figured on continuing medicine and falling back on
Heme/Onc if I didn't match. So far, it isn't too bad, but I am
certainly looking forward to 07/01/03.

Thanks for your posts spyder. It is good to know that it isn't unusual to not hear from programs until november. That should save me some panicking.
It seems like it is a little better this year than last in terms of how many programs are taking people and how many. Not much to do now but wait and hope!

Thanks again,
Ann

yo spyder,
i just wanted to second the thanks for your encouraging posts. i too was (still am, but to a lesser extent) about the whole radonc match process.

best of luck with the rest of your internship! please stick around in case we have any questions. peace.

sincerely,
digi.

I think Spyder makes a good point.

IN rad on the field is very tight. Doing a stellar rotation at a spot where there is someone who can right a good letter on your behalf, and even make phone calls, can get you in. Even if its not the program you rotate at.

Some people may opt to rotate at a place that is not as powerful in the hopes that they will take you as a known quantity. I think you have to measure your overall profile and determine what will be best for you. Do more than one rotation and and can get both things accomplished.