Appointments during rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the general mantra for doctor/dentist/whatever-needs-to-get-taken-care-of appointments during clinical rotations is to put them off until you have a free day or week. But what about appointments you need to fit in during a certain time, what's the protocol for that?

For example, I'm getting an umbilical hernia repaired the week before I start rotations and am going to need to follow up 3 weeks after, but the appointment will likely mean I'd only be gone for an hour. Do I just approach my attending/resident about a situation like this or is this something that needs to be handled with scheduling?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the general mantra for doctor/dentist/whatever-needs-to-get-taken-care-of appointments during clinical rotations is to put them off until you have a free day or week. But what about appointments you need to fit in during a certain time, what's the protocol for that?

For example, I'm getting an umbilical hernia repaired the week before I start rotations and am going to need to follow up 3 weeks after, but the appointment will likely mean I'd only be gone for an hour. Do I just approach my attending/resident about a situation like this or is this something that needs to be handled with scheduling?

Yeah, something like that. Honest to God every M3 in the hospital could disappear and no one would notice. Just day before mention it to your resident and teammates, and try to have stuff taken care of as much as possible prior to leaving.

This has been discussed before. See this thread, and ignore how pissy everybody got during the discussion.

To paraphrase:

Appointments won't cause true "absences," but rather an hour or two away from the action. You should schedule the appointments for the mid-to-late afternoon. Then, mention in the simplest way possible to your resident (or attending if there isn't a resident) that you have a doctor's appointment for blood work. If they say no, then go to your clerkship director.

What residents and staff don't like are students who schedule these appointments for 8am, or somehow disappear for 5 hours for such an appointment, because it shows poor insight, and possibly some lazy or manipulative intent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've used this strategy with modest success:

- no more than one doctor/self care/personal appointment per rotation - unless you switch residents, then you may be able to sneak in a second

- tell everyone who cares as soon as you have the date set and you know who should be told. On some rotations, you will need to tell the attending. On others, attendings don't care, just tell residents.

- tell them again one week before the appointment, remind them they have been told before

- tell them again the day before the appointment

Am I OCD about this? Yes, yes, a little.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I figured as much but just wanted to make sure.

If you have non-mandatory lectures that you don't mind skipping, make the appointment at that time, or on a post-call day. Definitely don't make an appointment in the morning, because that's when everyone usually sees their patients and rounds.