Appropriate Way to Answer the Diversity Prompt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TG1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Community,

I have a couple of topics that I can use to address the diversity essay, but I'm not sure if it'll be considered appropriate or "unique/cool":

1) I could write about receiving informal flight lessons from a neighbor with his ultralight aircraft. ( Briefly talked about this in the hobbies section of the Amcas.)

and/or

2) I worked as a food vendor/prep cook at different festivals across the country; Bonnaroo, Rothbury, and various other events. I witnessed quiet a few things and sometimes we were up 36 hours straight to cater the attendees.

Lastly, if a prompt specifically mentions; "unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in my background, such as the quality early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences."

Can I then talk about being raised by my grandparents back home after my mother left when I was four and how I coped with this?

Sorry for the long post, but I really have no one else to ask these questions and I really want to compose a quality essay without redundancies.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
TG.

Members don't see this ad.

Only if you actually know how to fly such a craft now.

1) I could write about receiving informal flight lessons from a neighbor with his ultralight aircraft. ( Briefly talked about this in the hobbies section of the Amcas.)

and/or

Yes.
2) I worked as a food vendor/prep cook at different festivals across the country; Bonnaroo, Rothbury, and various other events. I witnessed quiet a few things and sometimes we were up 36 hours straight to cater the attendees.

No. Save this for the setbacks and resilience prompts.

Can I then talk about being raised by my grandparents back home after my mother left when I was four and how I coped with this?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @Goro. IMO #2 is the best topic. In addition to writing about the details of the events, I would also write about the cultural differences that you observed in the different parts of country and any personal growths that you experienced in the process.

Reactions: 1 user