Appropriate Writing Samples for Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducle7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was one thread started about sending research manuscripts for in press publications vs. abstracts, this is sort of related. What if you don't have any publications, but may have a poster. Is a poster handout, maybe along with the original poster proposal (typically 1-2 pages) an appropriate writing sample, or should it be an actual paper? My problem is that I've been out of school for a couple of years, so I feel that my writing has improved beyond my honors thesis, and my recent poster may better reflect my abilities.

Members don't see this ad.

There was one thread started about sending research manuscripts for in press publications vs. abstracts, this is sort of related. What if you don't have any publications, but may have a poster. Is a poster handout, maybe along with the original poster proposal (typically 1-2 pages) an appropriate writing sample, or should it be an actual paper? My problem is that I've been out of school for a couple of years, so I feel that my writing has improved beyond my honors thesis, and my recent poster may better reflect my abilities.

As long as it meets a page length minimum I think you might be smart to submit the poster proposal. It would be better if you had the completed poster to submit as it gives a complete picture of what you are doing. This is one time where it's possible that less is more.

Mark

I have a smilar question to this, except I'm wondering if I should submit a self-designed study that I did in undergrad - an unpublished one. I graduated in 2000, just for some context, and the study I did is not related to my current research interests.

I would decide based more on the quality of the writing than the subject matter (as long as it pertained to psych). Was this paper drafted/revised and graded by a faculty member? If so, it might be a good choice.