Approx % breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullset

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the people who've taken MCAT once or more: What percentage of the PS section is physics, and what percentage of the BS section is biology? I'm curious to know because I'm better in Bio than O chem, and am better at Gen chem than physics. All responses are greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if recently they're trending more toward the subjects that i don't like.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well for the BS, there is almost always more Bio than Orgo. I think the gnereal consensus is somewhere around 70% Bio 30% Orgo. The PS is more of a toss up, as on many of my practice tests, it varies. Sometimes its more Physics, sometimes its more Gen Chem.

So the AAMC practice tests were actual MCAT in its entirety in the past? Or do they pick and choose "retired" questions from a lot of previous versions?

For all the people who've taken MCAT once or more: What percentage of the PS section is physics, and what percentage of the BS section is biology? I'm curious to know because I'm better in Bio than O chem, and am better at Gen chem than physics. All responses are greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if recently they're trending more toward the subjects that i don't like.

Dude. Just know everything. This is why I see why kids claim to average 37 and hit 32. I doubt very few kids have a solid understanding of every topic. On my test there was nothing on optics, electrostatics, kinematics, etc. However, all it takes is one passage on a topic you stink at or are not very comfortable to drop your score. Get EK and TBR for PS if you need help. EK will cover everything you need to know. The only trend is that they have 22 administrations which means overall EVERYTHING gets tested. It's up to you if you want to be roulette......

With regards to O-chem, see there is no trend. Some tests last year had one passage and some others had 3 passages, a couple May ones did and July 17 09 did as well. So, again, it's up to you. I know kids were angry that the 03/27/10 had tough O-chem. I was ready because I wasn't going to play the roulette game. If you want a 37+ put in the time. If you are ok with 30-34 then playing roulette isn't as disadvantageous. The only trend that I saw on my test is that they like to emphasize 2 or 3 topics. This means you likely won't get just one acid base passage, you'll get at least two. On my test we had 2 chemistry passages that were similar in the concepts they tested. If you were weak, that would be 11 or 12 questions that you're SOL on. Just study man and EK will cover your bases.

Exactly like PhilIvey said. Try to know everything. They can literally test you on anything they want. It's best to know everything and not worry about "oh are they gonna give me this many passages on this or that." You can only think about it. Yes I would try getting better at your weaknesses. It could show up. The MCAT is pretty random.