1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

April or May 15th

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by hotRNA, Apr 13, 2004.

1. hotRNA

hotRNA Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know this has been asked before (forgive me Neuronix). But what is the difference between the April 15th date for med schools and the May 15th date for applicants?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

schools that officially start early have the earlier deadline. these include but are not limited to: cornell, baylor.

4. cal_mudphud

cal_mudphud New Member

UCLA also has an April 15th deadline

5. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No problem. So the deal is that some schools just feel entitled to set their dates to April 15th, even if they don't start early (Baylor for example). Some that do actually have a good reason to ask early are ridiculously late with everything (*cough* UChicago *cough*), and then don't give you enough time to decide. Whatever, what they want is for you to narrow it down to one acceptance by this time. If you were waiting for second looks elsewhere, they might let you slide past the date. Baylor for example gave me until May 1st.

If you come off a waitlist somewhere else, feel free to go there. You are supposed to have 2 weeks to decide from the time you are offered a waitlist spot if you come off the waitlist somewhere else, even if you are only holding one acceptance at the time. The truth is you aren't completely locked in until you start a program. Nevertheless, the programs certainly would like you to think you are locked in earlier as it makes it easier for them. My roommate for example jumped out of UVa in the beginning of June to come here. UVa's first year class last year had one less student than usual. Oh well, one more they can take this year!

So, does this answer your question?