Are any of you doing a MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afk1994

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on here was doing an MD/PhD program. I'm a second year pre-med and was considering doing a PhD as well. I haven't had any research experience yet and wanted to know when and why you wanted to get a PhD. How different is the research aspect of your degree from the practice aspect and why you preferred research?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, wasted degree. You can do as much research as you want as an MD, without waiting until approaching 40 when you become an attending

IMO, wasted degree. You can do as much research as you want as an MD, without waiting until approaching 40 when you become an attending

35 actually :p

OP: The google is your friend:

http://www.mdphds.org/

https://www.aamc.org/students/research/mdphd/

Also, regarding your research experience, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=539268

At the very least before asking these kinds of questions, you should get some lab experience. Research experience looks good on an MD application as well if you decide not to pursue MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a whole forum for those of us doing/with both degrees. Generally the point is to be a PI (in charge) of a lab doing medical research while also seeing relevant patients. Probably not something worth considering until you have tried research and decided you like it.

Research is very different from clinical practice. It has the possibility to help a lot of people all at once and you are much more in control of your own time. But realistically you spend as much of your time writing up papers and proposals and selling your research at conference as actually getting to do research.

I have worked with PIs in labs who do not have PhD degrees. I fail to see why the phd is necessary

I have worked with PIs in labs who do not have PhD degrees. I fail to see why the phd is necessary

Agreed. The main advantage to MD/PhD is no medical school debt.

A lot of your MD only to mostly research faculty trained in a time before extreme medical school loans. Still, there are still plenty of young MDs out there pursuing researce because they didn't have too much debt, had family to pay off their debt, hate clinical medicine and would rather live with the debt and bad research salary, whatever the case may be...

There are some other minor things you can claim for why MD/PhD over MD. Things like integrated training in a major academic center, starting your career emphasizing and thinking about the integration of MD and PhD and application of both. I think the MD/PhD pathway is reasonable if that's how you think about your future life as an undergrad. But certainly, a PhD is not required to be a researcher down the line, and there are opportunities throughout medical training if you do decide to obtain more research experience.

Agreed. The main advantage to MD/PhD is no medical school debt.

A lot of your MD only to mostly research faculty trained in a time before extreme medical school loans. Still, there are still plenty of young MDs out there pursuing researce because they didn't have too much debt, had family to pay off their debt, hate clinical medicine and would rather live with the debt and bad research salary, whatever the case may be...

There are some other minor things you can claim for why MD/PhD over MD. Things like integrated training in a major academic center, starting your career emphasizing and thinking about the integration of MD and PhD and application of both. I think the MD/PhD pathway is reasonable if that's how you think about your future life as an undergrad. But certainly, a PhD is not required to be a researcher down the line, and there are opportunities throughout medical training if you do decide to obtain more research experience.

Plus, think about how cool it is to have all those letters after your name. Also, I'm pretty sure you can make everyone call you "Doctor Doctor Juan" if you have two doctorates.

Plus, think about how cool it is to have all those letters after your name. Also, I'm pretty sure you can make everyone call you "Doctor Doctor Juan" if you have two doctorates.

Why would I want anyone to call me Doctor Doctor Juan? :confused:

Thought about MD/PhD for a hot second. Thank god I didn't get accepted.

I happen to think the MD/PhD is 100% worth it. True, you can do research with only an MD, but you will have to get your research training in sometime either during a PhD as a student with protected time/funding or in your later years as part of a fellowship or something. Many great researchers are MD-only, but I believe that group of exceptional individuals were unique to an era that has passed where medicine and hospitals were not trying to squeeze clinicians for every ounce of their time to generate income.

hospitals were not trying to squeeze clinicians for every ounce of their time to generate income.

This pressure is no different for MD/PhDs than it is for MDs. Also, the pressure flows both ways. MD/PhDs don't exactly like training forever for greatly reduced salary either.

Hey, get an MBA too while you're at it :laugh:

that's true because i am overcome with awe and envy when i see nurses with Jane Doe RN, APRN, BSc, CWOCN, Ph.D., FAAN on their nametag