Are Asian Indians at a disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't say anything about me supporting that some parents control what their kids do. Someone should probably learn how to read :rolleyes:

I only said that I can understand them doing that. Does that make me a supporter? I said that it is definitely okay for parents to GUIDE (learn the word, please) their kids. And if their guidance leads them to pursue a career in what their parents wanted, that doesn't mean that their kids were forced into it.

Yup. Change your argument entirely by using my distinction between guiding and controlling. Well done. At least you finally understood the difference.

Plus, traditionalists aren't those who guide, but those who control.

Members don't see this ad.

You are right plue00. Sorry I didn't carefully read what you said earlier . I'm still going to say something stupid about you changing the meaning of what I said, but whatever lol. Let me go google guide and control and say a bunch of opinions lolz.

Plus, traditionalists aren't those who guide, but those who control.

Pretty bold statement, brah. Got dat proof?

Members don't see this ad :)
Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

lol in on 10 page thread

To all the racist pricks that say URMs need to step it up need to step it down. Get your Ivy league pubs up, MCAT up, GPA up, NIH research up, committee letter up, and come see me in the application process. You *****s keep saying URMs aren't qualified to be doctors or that they have lower stats and they shouldn't get in but they pass the USMLE and become doctors. Don't be mad that you didn't get in when some kid whose mom makes 15,000k a year and didn't take a single AP class in HS outscores you in every metric. You people act like medical schools are flowing with URMs. Honestly, do you really think URMs are taking your seats? No, its other Asians and Whites. Think what you want, while you're focused on what my grades are I'll be flying directly to Harvard. Peace.

To all the racist pricks that say URMs need to step it up need to step it down. Get your Ivy league pubs up, MCAT up, GPA up, NIH research up, committee letter up, and come see me in the application process. You *****s keep saying URMs aren't qualified to be doctors or that they have lower stats and they shouldn't get in but they pass the USMLE and become doctors. Don't be mad that you didn't get in when some kid whose mom makes 15,000k a year and didn't take a single AP class in HS outscores you in every metric. You people act like medical schools are flowing with URMs. Honestly, do you really think URMs are taking your seats? No, its other Asians and Whites. Think what you want, while you're focused on what my grades are I'll be flying directly to Harvard. Peace.

wow....

:thumbup:

It is nice and refreshing to discuss new ideas and concepts, but when people blatantly makes false arguments by constructing bogus threads and misinterpreting their data presented simply for malice...tsk tsk.

zwitterion34, come at me. :smuggrin:

Last edited:

I'm quoting this to slam every ignorant premed when I see one

http://www.amsny.org/initiatives/diversity-medicine/post-baccalaureate-program
most of the urms I know got in through this program. and they arent the poor kids living in terrible neighborhoods with a single mom holding down three jobs.
enjoy harvard, where your peers will outclass you in more ways than one

Haven't followed the URM /ORM flame war, but in answer to the OP's question, I refer to Table 19 given by the AAMC. They show that the average Asian matriculant has a 3.71 cGPA/ 3.66 sGPA and 32.5 MCAT. So if you're Asian, your chances of acceptance with a 3.5/30 are much lower.

Not all successful URMs are from poor families or single parent homes and that's what makes people mad. It's not about economics, it's made to be solely about race by the process. The data cited above make it clear that AA admissions disproportionately benefit wealthier URMs. You can certainly argue that the policies are still worthwhile despite this disconnect, but understand that this is the reason why people get heated...not racism.

I want poor black kids to get special consideration, but I want the same consideration to be afforded to poor Chinese kids and poor whites and, yes, even Asian Indians. But they often lose out to wealthy minorities.

Definitely agree, and hopefully this will become reality down the line. The fact of the matter is that we're compensating for foundational failures near the end of the process, and it's hurting everybody in some way.

Private universities can't fix functional errors that accur during childhood and adolescents. That is the entire point of AA. Life is unfair. Being born into a middle class family, having caring parents, having a stable household, ect are all things we can't control and they have a stronger effect than AA. We all have advantages and disadvantages. In the end, if you don't get into medical schools it isn't because of AA. It is because of your own volition.

This is a serious question.. but since I am half asian and half white, am I at an even bigger disadvantage than if I was full asian or full caucasian? Am I taking up two checkmarks when adcoms go through their demographics list? If so... ****. I think that I have a really well-rounded application and a really high (~3.9 gpa) but a 32 MCAT... which is a little low for being in the asian category. Is that MCAT going to hold me back because of my background?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a serious question.. but since I am half asian and half white, am I at an even bigger disadvantage than if I was full asian or full caucasian? Am I taking up two checkmarks when adcoms go through their demographics list? If so... ****. I think that I have a really well-rounded application and a really high (~3.9 gpa) but a 32 MCAT... which is a little low for being in the asian category. Is that MCAT going to hold me back because of my background?

Just click white and everything will be all right.

damnnnn I hope I can make 15,000 k a year.

To be honest I see no problem with using race as a factor to judge admission to medical school. Some posters above have mentioned that we should only be judged on things we can control, but that is murky at best. Consider the following.
Medical schools value intelligence. Why? They assume a more intelligent individual will be able to better retain all the information necessary to treat patients, make quicker and accurate diagnoses, etc. They use (IMO) the MCAT as a measure of this trait. I was able to score very well on the exam with a below average amount of effort, while many of my peers (who I feel would make excellent physicians) studied their asses off and ended up about average. We can control the amount of effort we put into studying for the MCAT, but we can't control the intelligence level we were born with, and sadly that does seem to play a large role in the score we can achieve on the MCAT.
Similarly, medical schools value diversity. Why? The assume (with statistical backing) that physicians from underrepresented communities are X% (don't have the stats sorry) more likely to go back and serve that community. You can shadow at any family medicine clinic or free clinic in an under served part of town and see this for yourself.
With health disparities worsening like no other and numbers of applicants (GPA/MCAT) rising each year, of course adcoms will be willing to lower "standards," simply because URM's can bring something to the table that I, an Indian-American applicant, will never be able to. Is this wrong? No. I was born with higher than average intelligence. Adcoms want the trait I have. Nothing I or anyone else can do about that. Many friends of mine were born black. Exact same story.

So basically minorities were born with less intelligence, hence, you have no problem with adcoms placing less weight on the MCAT and more weight on the color of their skin? While you, "an Indian-American born with higher than average intelligence" is what adcoms also want? Oh.

I'm sorry, but what the ****? You think the other people in this thread sound like entitled dbags? Reread what you just wrote.

*Im an Indian girl whose parents gave guidance/wisdom/insight to, and I ended up in the same profession as my Dad. Never did he once make it seem like this was the end-all/be-all and I would be disowned if I didn't get letters after my name.

@ firstborn's comment

My jaw just literally dropped off of my face, fell onto the ground and is currently running away from me.

:scared:

Slammed! :highfive: Man I love this thread.

And why is that? I can say the same about you. :naughty:

What is this, a group flame? -_- not interested. And it is NOT the same about me, considering that I fall under this category and very much share the sentiments of the OP and much of the other corroborating posters. Aerus, your and, on a slightly lesser degree, Agent B's, post is belligerent and condescending. Agent B, I looked up your posts,and while I admire your respect and the pedestal you put residents and attending SDNers here on, your true face shows by the snide "aha I am better than you" attitude you give towards your peers. Hopefully, this is not entirely true to your character and I have only seen a snapshot of this blindly idolizing behavior.
;)

What is this, a group flame? -_- not interested. And it is NOT the same about me, considering that I fall under this category and very much share the sentiments of the OP and much of the other corroborating posters. Aerus, your and, on a slightly lesser degree, Agent B's, post is belligerent and condescending. Agent B, I looked up your posts,and while I admire your respect and the pedestal you put residents and attending SDNers here on, your true face shows by the snide "aha I am better than you" attitude you give towards your peers. Hopefully, this is not entirely true to your character and I have only seen a snapshot of this blindly idolizing behavior.
;)

I know what you mean, and I guess it's due to the infamous nature of preallo. It's my natural response to numerous redundant premed questions asked nonstop without bothering to use the search function (which is part of the email they receive after registering in SDN). For premeds in this case, it's better to be blunt with them. Then there are other premeds who think they know everything regarding the med school application process and present incorrect information. Usually I ignore them, but sometimes I tend to intervene and slam them. Finally, there's a set of premeds who whine about the difficulties of physics, orgo, calculus etc., so I simply respond bluntly to their complaints.

Because a vast majority of premeds falls in the above categories, I tend to have the reputation of arrogance. A small fraction of premeds who don't fall in the above category are those who I have no problem conversing casually. Yet, as you also mentioned, I strongly respect med students, residents and attendings, mainly because they are mature, experienced in this entire process and very knowledgeable.

I'm sorry, but what the ****? You think the other people in this thread sound like entitled dbags? Reread what you just wrote.

*Im an Indian girl whose parents gave guidance/wisdom/insight to, and I ended up in the same profession as my Dad. Never did he once make it seem like this was the end-all/be-all and I would be disowned if I didn't get letters after my name.

_design.png

;)

Fall under "this category"? What category is this exactly? Being Indian? I think it's very well clear that this "disadvantage" applies to all Asian groups, not just Indian people. That's what my post was saying. Period. Nothing more.

So why are you attacking other people exactly? I still don't see the point in your random crude remark.

;)

accusation of condescencion while being condescending lol
if you don't put residents and attendings on a pedestal, you're gonna have a bad time. hell, even the nurses from a community college program are above you on the medical totem pole

Fall under "this category"? What category is this exactly? Being Indian? I think it's very well clear that this "disadvantage" applies to all Asian groups, not just Indian people. That's what my post was saying. Period. Nothing more.

So why are you attacking other people exactly? I still don't see the point in your random crude remark.

You are too gentle on yourself. Generalizing an entire race with the word "angst" is not exaclty what you called yourself as... whatever you said up there ^. Also, I don't believe that I need to elaborate on what I meant by 'this category', I think you and I both know, very clearly, what I meant by that. Stop trying to go ad hominem.

accusation of condescencion while being condescending lol
if you don't put residents and attendings on a pedestal, you're gonna have a bad time. hell, even the nurses from a community college program are above you on the medical totem pole

It would be great if you actually understood the point of my post. I did not say it was wrong to put residents and attendings on a pedestal, for the purposes of the disucssion. I said that it was off-putting to see such 180 degree turns on behavior depending on who you are talking to. I am more for the 'treat everyone with due respect as per their position' than the 'omg residents and attendings are demigods, but you premed, sir, are **** and idgaf about what you say'. Please stay out of the discussion if you don't even take time to read and UNDERSTAND my post. :thumbdown:

It would be great if you actually understood the point of my post. I did not say it was wrong to put residents and attendings on a pedestal, for the purposes of the disucssion. I said that it was off-putting to see such 180 degree turns on behavior depending on who you are talking to. I am more for the 'treat everyone with due respect as per their position' than the 'omg residents and attendings are demigods, but you premed, sir, are **** and idgaf about what you say'. Please stay out of the discussion if you don't even take time to read and UNDERSTAND my post. :thumbdown:

Which you already understood why I act that way from my previous post. It varies from person to person, but it's safe to say that many other SDNers share the same sentiment as I do.

You are too gentle on yourself. Generalizing an entire race with the word "angst" is not exaclty what you called yourself as... whatever you said up there ^. Also, I don't believe that I need to elaborate on what I meant by 'this category', I think you and I both know, very clearly, what I meant by that. Stop trying to go ad hominem.

you talk like a premed and your ****'s all ******ed

premeds don't even have a spot on the medical hierarchy. no one cares about what you say

premeds don't even have a spot on the medical hierarchy. no one cares about what you say

Dude seriously. Why are you overreacting to what a premed says? I get annoyed as well, which is why I usually ignore them (and if I get provoked, I tend to slam them. Premeds like OPanchor view me as an arrogant suck-up for acting this way.)

Dude seriously. Why are you overreacting to what a premed says? I get annoyed as well, which is why I usually ignore them (and if I get provoked, I tend to slam them. Premeds like OPanchor view me as an arrogant suck-up for acting this way.)

The labeling! the usage of "Premed" by you guys is like we're n****** in the south precivil war era. It's annoying to say the least, in OUR shoes. It's kind of disappointing that the people premeds are supposed to look up to are like this.

Actually, with all due respect agent b, I appreciate your insight on your point of view. Of course, I have seen my fair share of crazy premeds on sdn, but I am one that keeps the flaming to myself, as you can see the correlation of my join date to number of posts. I think it is okay to point out that a pre medical student is being neurotic,etc, but I really put my foot down when it goes too far. Eg: the post you quoted above. I understand that you get frustrated and want to tell those people off, possibly including myself, and by all means, continue to do so, just expect some backlash.and if persuading yourself that we're just angsty kids that just like to label you as arrogant for convenience's sake, instead of feeling equally irritated as you are, this time by pompous posters, by all means do so.

Wow, yehhhboiii. The insight of a medical student, everyone. To be honest, yehhhboiii, your posts' tone are no different than the raging ones I occasionally come across while browsing other pre-allo threads from pre-meds.

Last edited:
may it be a constant reminder for you as you decide whether or not to press submit reply

Like you said, I am using it as a constant reminder. However, unlike what you said, it's a constant reminder for how I should NOT act even if I get into medical school.

The labeling! the usage of "Premed" by you guys is like we're n****** in the south precivil war era. It's annoying to say the least, in OUR shoes. It's kind of disappointing that the people premeds are supposed to look up to are like this.

Actually, with all due respect agent b, I appreciate your insight on your point of view. Of course, I have seen my fair share of crazy premeds on sdn, but I am one that keeps the flaming to myself, as you can see the correlation of my join date to number of posts. I think it is okay to point out that a pre medical student is being neurotic,etc, but I really put my foot down when it goes too far. Eg: the post you quoted above. I understand that you get frustrated and want to tell those people off, possibly including myself, and by all means, continue to do so, just expect some backlash.and if persuading yourself that we're just angsty kids that just like to label you as arrogant for convenience's sake, instead of feeling equally irritated as you are, this time by pompous posters, by all means do so.

Well that escalated quickly.

I understood what you're getting at, but that's by far the worst comparison I've ever seen. I abide by the medical hierarchy as a form of climbing up the ladder based on growing experience and intellect. Slavery in the Antebellum Era was a forced social stratification. Two entirely different things, but that's not the main point.

I don't flame, just often use biting sarcasm to get my point across (or often bluntly condemn those who attack others irrationally). For the most part, most premeds get the message and stop responding or apologize etc., but few premeds decide to counterattack and consequently hijack this thread into a flame war. It's unfortunate that preallo is notorious for having this innate capability in producing dozens of redundant threads because they're lazy to use the search function, create volatile, flaming threads (MD vs. DO, Caribbean, URMs etc.), or hijack a harmless thread into a flame thread for their own entertainment. Every other forum acts in a much more professional way (yes, including hSDN and pre-osteo). Preallo doesn't, and hence is the only subforum with more than 5 mods (note I include WAMC and school-specific threads as part of preallo category).

Reactions: 1 user
It isn't about skin color. It is about representing different life experiences and viewpoints. TPTB put a high premium on diversity and there is the observation that medical schools, medical school faculty and medical school student enrollment should be representative of the state (if enrollment is limited to in-state) or the country.

It isn't that long ago that state medical schools in the deep south did not admit blacks and the medical societies of those states would not admit black physicians as members ergo those physicians could not join the AMA.

See: . Seeing Patients: Unconscious Bias in Health Care by Augustus A. White III, MD, and David Chanoff. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass., 2011,
The Good Doctors: The Medical Committee for Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice in Health Care by John Dittmer Bloomsbury Press, 2009.

Of course it isn't about skin color. The asian background, viewpoint and life experiences are clearly inferior to the african american and hispanic one.

Of course it isn't about skin color. The asian background, viewpoint and life experiences are clearly inferior to the african american and hispanic one.

There is no shortage of Asian background, viewpoint and life experience being represented at medical schools in the US. None at all. Particularly considering the proportion of Asians in the US population. Not so for Latinos and African Americans.

Did I say "Every single Asian on the planet feels angst"? No. I said "Asiatic Angst" which means angst felt by, not just Indian premeds, but Asian premeds in general. I must repeat myself: Indians aren't the only people who are disadvantaged by AA; all Asians who apply are.

You should really brush up on your reading comprehension. It's a very useful life skill. ;)

I only asked what category you meant because your "Fall Under This Category" point:

And it is NOT the same about me, considering that I fall under this category and very much share the sentiments of the OP and much of the other corroborating posters

makes no sense at all and is completely irrelevant to what you're trying to argue for.

So I repeat:

I can say the same about you. :naughty:

Did I say "Every single Asian on the planet feels angst"? No. I said "Asiatic Angst" which means angst felt by, not just Indian premeds, but Asian premeds in general. I must repeat myself: Indians aren't the only people who are disadvantaged by AA; all Asians who apply are.

You should really brush up on your reading comprehension. It's a very useful life skill. ;)

I only asked what category you meant because your "Fall Under This Category" point:

makes no sense at all and is completely irrelevant to what you're trying to argue for.

So I repeat:

1)I'm not Indian, I'm some other form of Asian that you don't need to know. your assumption that I'm Indian is annoying and 2) you keep using your generalization as your defense.I already know, thank you very much, that you were trying to generalize this "angst" verb to describe a "common"Asian experience, the issue I have is the fact that you're even creating such a label. So, to return your insufferable streak of stubbornness,I think what YOU have to say contributed nothing to the discussion at all and, I repeat, what I initially posted in this thread is very relevant to me as Iam concerned about this phenomenon. Hopefully that can get through your head;)

1)I'm not Indian, I'm some other form of Asian that you don't need to know. your assumption that I'm Indian is annoying and 2) you keep using your generalization as your defense.I already know, thank you very much, that you were trying to generalize this "angst" verb to describe a "common"Asian experience, the issue I have is the fact that you're even creating such a label. So, to return your insufferable streak of stubbornness,I think what YOU have to say contributed nothing to the discussion at all and, I repeat, what I initially posted in this thread is very relevant to me as Iam concerned about this phenomenon. Hopefully that can get through your head;)

Where did I say that YOU were Indian? I was regurgitating my point so that you understand that this is ALL I am saying. Again, READING COMPREHENSION.

I am NOT creating a label and I don't see how my post attempts to create one. I suggest you reread the entire thread. People, not just Indians but Asians in general, were discussing how they feel "disadvantaged" when applying. That is all that I am trying to say. Anymore and you're making a horribly ill-founded assumption.

How is the fact that you fall under this category relevant? Does the fact that you fall under this category excuse you from saying the same thing? All your posts have been based off of absolutely nothing, so I think you're the one who is not contributing anything.

I know someone who got into Harvard undergrad with a 1800 SAT because he was Black. Didn't really have any exceptional ECs besides the standard cookie cutter stuff.

On the other hand my better qualified Asian friends with 2300 SATs and with exception ECs and with great people skills got rejected.

Affirmative action ftw

There is no shortage of Asian background, viewpoint and life experience being represented at medical schools in the US. None at all. Particularly considering the proportion of Asians in the US population. Not so for Latinos and African Americans.[

One thing I'm curious about is how you can define yourself to be Latino or AA?

If you're only 1/2 are you still URM? How about if you're 1/4? Or 1/8th?

Where did I say that YOU were Indian? I was regurgitating my point so that you understand that this is ALL I am saying. Again, READING COMPREHENSION.

I am NOT creating a label and I don't see how my post attempts to create one. I suggest you reread the entire thread. People, not just Indians but Asians in general, were discussing how they feel "disadvantaged" when applying. That is all that I am trying to say. Anymore and you're making a horribly ill-founded assumption.

How is the fact that you fall under this category relevant? Does the fact that you fall under this category excuse you from saying the same thing?

Really? You're going to play lawyer and try to bring out every single technicality that you can find instead of getting the whole picture? I'd say you stop the 'i'm better at reading comprehension' bs and just focus on the topic... but two can play this game.
1) Did I not clearly state in my previous post: "You are too gentle on yourself. Generalizing an entire race with the word "angst" is not exactly....." We have already established, for the upteenth time, that we all know what bullcrap you are saying. Yet, you continue saying the same bs as if no one understands you. If you want to continue repeating yourself and pretending to continue 'discussing' this, fine. Exercise those fingers.
2) You say "People, not just Indians but Asians in general, were discussing how they feel "disadvantaged" when applying." I totally agree. However, FOR THE LAST TIME, that is not what you said in your initial post, which included "asian angst", and, FOR THE LAST TIME, contributed nothing to the thread except to flame.
I was mainly confused as to why you kept repeating yourself despite the fact that I understood you, and thought you kept emphasizing it because you thought I was Indian. Now that I know you're repeating yourself just because you're crazy, I admit that there was a jump in the logic. :sleep:

Really? You're going to play lawyer and try to bring out every single technicality that you can find instead of getting the whole picture? I'd say you stop the 'i'm better at reading comprehension' bs and just focus on the topic... but two can play this game.
1) Did I not clearly state in my previous post: "You are too gentle on yourself. Generalizing an entire race with the word "angst" is not exactly....." We have already established, for the upteenth time, that we all know what bullcrap you are saying. Yet, you continue saying the same bs as if no one understands you. If you want to continue repeating yourself and pretending to continue 'discussing' this, fine. Exercise those fingers.
2) You say "People, not just Indians but Asians in general, were discussing how they feel "disadvantaged" when applying." I totally agree. However, FOR THE LAST TIME, that is not what you said in your initial post, which included "asian angst", and, FOR THE LAST TIME, contributed nothing to the thread except to flame.
I was mainly confused as to why you kept repeating yourself despite the fact that I understood you, and thought you kept emphasizing it because you thought I was Indian. Now that I know you're repeating yourself just because you're crazy, I admit that there was a jump in the logic. :sleep:

Nope, I'm not trying to get technical at all. It's just when you throw false accusations at me, I have no choice. If you stop it with the ignorant assumptions, then we can move on to a true discussion.

I do not flame. When I said that, I meant it. Look in the thread. Nothing I said is false. Nothing I said was a generalization. It was only an observation. Stop trying to start arguments and flame wars by trying to falsely analyzing what I am saying. READING COMPREHENSION is very easy. I'm not saying that either of ours is superior; I'm just saying that you're not using your own ability to read.

Do I need to repeat myself again? As you said, I've already said it for the upteenth time. ;) I only repeat it because you keep misreading it as a "flame" or a "generalization" when it is clearly not.

I'm only asking what category you fall under because you gave the impression that since you belong to the "Asian" group, your own argument does not apply to you. What if I said that I was also Asian and that I face these very issues that you face? Would that change what you said at all?

Nope, I'm not trying to get technical at all. It's just when you throw false accusations at me, I have no choice. If you stop it with the ignorant assumptions, then we can move on to a true discussion.

I do not flame. When I said that, I meant it. Look in the thread. Nothing I said is false. Nothing I said was a generalization. It was only an observation. Stop trying to start arguments and flame wars by trying to falsely analyzing what I am saying. READING COMPREHENSION is very easy. I'm not saying that either of ours is superior; I'm just saying that you're not using your own ability to read.

Do I need to repeat myself again? As you said, I've already said it for the upteenth time. ;) I only repeat it because you keep misreading it as a "flame" or a "generalization" when it is clearly not.

I'm only asking what category you fall under because you gave the impression that since you belong to the "Asian" group, your own argument does not apply to you. What if I said that I was also Asian and that I face these very issues that you face? Would that change what you said at all?

How does my own argument not apply to myself? I believe you're misreading what I'M saying here. It's not that it does not apply to me at all - it's VERY relevant and applies to me greatly (coughreadingcomprehensioncough). If you were asian and face these very same issues, I would suggest you not to use
More like Asiatic Angst in general.
to potentially offend people. So no, it would not change what I said at all. This has blown out of proportion and I'm going to stop this hijacked thread. Assuming you follow your trend and want to get back with the last shot, go right on ahead :p