Are away rotarions necessary for neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeroPR

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the question I’ve posted. I applied to very few neurology programs for away rotations cause I was told aways are just for those programs you’re sure you want to go to. Since I didn’t have a specific program I wanted to go, I applied to like 5-6 programs only, based on their location. Unfortunately, I didn’t recieve any response from this programs even after following up with them.

Now with ERAS just around the corner Im kinda anxious thinking what if Its actually a must to do aways in order to match into neuro. Any thoughts?

just for some background:
USMD student, 3.9 GPA, step 1 237, step 2 252, lots of volunteer and work experiences, very little research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the question I’ve posted. I applied to very few neurology programs for away rotations cause I was told aways are just for those programs you’re sure you want to go to. Since I didn’t have a specific program I wanted to go, I applied to like 5-6 programs only, based on their location. Unfortunately, I didn’t recieve any response from this programs even after following up with them.

Now with ERAS just around the corner Im kinda anxious thinking what if Its actually a must to do aways in order to match into neuro. Any thoughts?

just for some background:
USMD student, 3.9 GPA, step 1 237, step 2 ???(havent received the score yet), lots of volunteer and work experiences, very little research experience.
I'm applying neurology too. In general, neuro tends not to be a specialty where you need to do an away rotation. The exceptions are if your stats and overall application are below average or if you're gunning for one program in particular. While your stats are not eye-popping, they are definitely solid and somewhat above average. Taking all that into consideration, you are fine. Just make sure you have a couple solid letters from attendings at your home program

Ps I did not do an away rotation in accordance with feedback from advisors and mentors

In neurology, you should do an away rotation at a program if you already know you're going to rank that program very highly. For example, if you want to stay in a region and you'd really like to match at the top program in that region, you can consider doing an away there.

Otherwise, it's unnecessary. Outside of the top 20 or so programs, neurology is not that competitive.

We get many away rotators at my program. An away rotator who is personable and performs well will get a boost. Neurology is an unusual field in that expectations can vary widely across programs and you should establish expectations day one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro resident here. I did 2, could’ve gotten away with 1, know many people who didn’t even do 1. Basically as long as you get good neuro letters it isn’t essential unless you’re trying to go to crazy competitive places and need a big name LOR.

Also, your stats are great for the majority of neuro programs, especially in the middle of the country, outside the top tier places.

Honestly though I enjoyed my aways to see how the service works at a particular place. Especially with interviews likely virtual again this year you’re only gonna wanna see how your “top” places operate on a day to day basis

Update: recieved an offer last night lol. Its in the late Novemeber - mid December period. Should I go for it or is it too late?

Update: recieved an offer last night lol. Its in the late Novemeber - mid December period. Should I go for it or is it too late?
Is it at a place you would rank in your top 5? Top 3?

If so, I would take it. Even if you get interviewed prior then you can talk about how you have a rotation coming up. Then if you impress there it’ll help you a lot. And if you don’t get interviewed prior then they could do one when you’re there if they like you. It shows a lot to spend a whole month somewhere