Are Cali DPMs compensated to assist in non-pod surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GymMan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to look it up but saw that in many cases, no they aren't compensated. The MD asking the DPM to assist him may pay him but I'm not sure they are covered by any insurance apart from the MD's himself, who then "passes the buck out of the
MD's own pocket" to his "friend the DPM" that assisted him in surgery.

Every other member of an ortho surg team gets compensated, from what I saw/see. Since Cali was 1st to allow this 1st assist rule in ortho surgeries, I don't have alot of states to compare to.

Anyone know for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to look it up but saw that in many cases, no they aren't compensated. The MD asking the DPM to assist him may pay him but I'm not sure they are covered by any insurance apart from the MD's himself, who then "passes the buck out of the
MD's own pocket" to his "friend the DPM" that assisted him in surgery.

Every other member of an ortho surg team gets compensated, from what I saw/see. Since Cali was 1st to allow this 1st assist rule in ortho surgeries, I don't have alot of states to compare to.

Anyone know for sure?

First its not just ortho surgeries. pods can assist in any surgery (neuro,cardio,etc).

Pods can charge 10-13% of the Surgeon's fee as first assist. Apart from cali. i think NJ and some other states allow Pods to assist during any type of surgery.

Search in archives. i have posted info about this a year back. good luck!