Are chicks creeped out by pathologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've suddenly found myself in higher demand with the ladies since starting med school. My problem is that I've recently become interested in pathology. I like the idea of having regular hours and not having to deal with patients. However, I'm worried that being a pathologist will salt my game. I like the eclectic personalities that seem to gravitate to pathology, but I'm worried about being stereotyped as a wacky nerdy type from some other planet with no social skills. Would I generate more interest by going into something else? Would being a sugeon make me seem like more of a "man"? Would being a psychiatrist make me seem more sensitive? Would being a pediatrician make me seem more family oriented? Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

If you couldn't score chicks before med school, I'm sure that you won't be able to when you are in med school or beyond. Just do something you will be miserable doing in order to seem more (insert dumb adjective here) to women. I bet you haven't even gotten laid yet. Are you still in high school?

go plastics...you seem to be sell-out enough.
or better yet, colorectal surgeon...great dinner table conversation material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've suddenly found myself in higher demand with the ladies since starting med school.... Would being a pediatrician make me seem more family oriented?

These women aren't aren't interested in family they are interested in your $.

Actually I agree with Darkside... Go back to health/gym class

I've suddenly found myself in higher demand with the ladies since starting med school. My problem is that I've recently become interested in pathology. I like the idea of having regular hours and not having to deal with patients. However, I'm worried that being a pathologist will salt my game. I like the eclectic personalities that seem to gravitate to pathology, but I'm worried about being stereotyped as a wacky nerdy type from some other planet with no social skills. Would I generate more interest by going into something else? Would being a sugeon make me seem like more of a "man"? Would being a psychiatrist make me seem more sensitive? Would being a pediatrician make me seem more family oriented? Please advise.

I'm willing to bet you are going to freak women out no matter what you do.

By the way, this is pretty lame and I'm willing to bet no one finds this very funny. If this kind of "cleverness" is how you plan to pick up women, good luck to you my friend.

i recommend ob-gyn. seeing as you'll never see a woman naked in your personal life, you may as well go into a field where you can't help seeing naked women. enjoy the beauty of a naked woman as she spits a human being out of her... and oh yeah, watch out for the poo.

Certainly a dumb post, but the stereotypes he listed are perpetuated everyday by other physicians. As a medical student I remember a family medicine attending physician saying all pathologists do all day is sit in a dark room and call people in a creepy voice and say, " I think it's cancer." What a loser. Then there's the surgery chief resident who said of our Family Medicine hospital service, "You could get better healthcare from random people in the local grocery store parking lot."

i recommend ob-gyn. seeing as you'll never see a woman naked in your personal life, you may as well go into a field where you can't help seeing naked women.
Have mercy, mlw03. Think of the girlfriends/wives/mums-to-be everywhere and the sort of doctors they'd prefer ;)

Being a female, I will reply because I know what women talk about(locker room talk). Yes, unfortuntely that is the stereotype of guys in path. It actually isn't true. There are very few path folks that fit into that category, but somehow they got the rep of the unabomber type math/engineer person. Don't pick a specialty based on the ladies. The type of lady you want to hook up with won't care (I would be wary of the ladies that are only interested in plastic surgeons etc--money--you would be useless if you ever became disabled). Yes this is the stereotype of pathologists--sorry folks if that is dissapointing to hear. This really is only the stereotype among physicians--no one else thinks this.

Yes this is the stereotype of pathologists--sorry folks if that is dissapointing to hear. This really is only the stereotype among physicians--no one else thinks this.

That's because the general population has no clue what a pathologist does...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As a medical student I remember a family medicine attending physician saying all pathologists do all day is sit in a dark room and call people in a creepy voice and say, " I think it's cancer." What a loser.

No kidding what a loser. He thinks it is cancer? Damn it man, you have to know before you use the creepy voice.

And seriously, what does it say about you if your job is the most interesting thing about you?

It says you are really boring... or your job is like Rocket scientist,Rock Star, Billionaire

bransonspaceshipone.jpg

and you are only sort of boring...

Have mercy, mlw03. Think of the girlfriends/wives/mums-to-be everywhere and the sort of doctors they'd prefer ;)

well said deschutes :laugh: - i sure as hell wouldn't want my female friends or my eventual wife to have that kind of ob-gyn. the OP, if he's not just yanking our chains, doesn't belong in medicine at all, and you're right that no one deserves to be treated by such a putz.

That's because the general population has no clue what a pathologist does...:laugh:

and i much prefer it this way...seriously, it keeps the douche-bags out of the profession.

secondarily, if no one knows what you do, then they won't try to do it too...hence, none of the "turf-wars" these other specialties deal with. even if the potential for this does not currently exist, i wouldn't want to puch our luck.

i much enjoy the prospect of doing a job most people, including physicians, don't even understand and therefore cannot even attempt to do themselves. unlike radiology, we don't have to deal w non-rads know-it-alls in tumor boards thinking they know how to do our job just as well.

i actually smile a devilish smile when i tell people that i will be going into path and they make some comment about dead people.

as it turns out, their ignorance is going to be our gain.

we have enough troubles w pod labs...we don't need the rest of medicine hip to what we do should they try to further exploit our services.

as for the op:

are you serious? if your identity in medicine is all you having going for you, then i would hope you have some self-sustaining mechanisms in place to deal with the inevitable dry spells you will come across.

oh, and what you can't attract, you can probably pay for.

Yes this is the stereotype of pathologists--sorry folks if that is dissapointing to hear.

As far as I can tell, no one has argued that this isn't a stereotype that we commonly here about. We are all chiding this (questionable) FIRST YEAR med student (who, BTW, hasn't done a single clinical rotation yet) about picking a field based on what other people (women, in this particular case) supposedly think about the people in said specialty. I'm merely offering up that if he has to worry about what will impress chicks, that, in fact, he has probably never done more with a girl than sheepishly glance at one from across a room and then return his attention to his D&D. I recommend that he get through puberty before he starts making plans for a specialty. I do agree with the rest of your post though.

Being a female, I will reply because I know what women talk about(locker room talk). Yes, unfortuntely that is the stereotype of guys in path.

I must be strange (and all of my friends as well), because never have I sat around and discussed the sterotypes of guys in different medical fields. Maybe it's because I'm not in medical school to get the MRS degree. ;)

And lord, please don't send the OP to OB/GYN. :laugh:

I didn't say they were talking about the stereotypes for dating. I just have heard a quite a few times about not going into path (which I am interested in) because they have no social skills etc. Now I am someone married to someone in physics so they haven't seen eccentric. Everyone keeps pointing to this one guy in path--really awkward and mean guy in path. He isn't pleasant to be around, but he is just one of the many individuals in path. It is like people do not notice anyone else.

I must be strange (and all of my friends as well), because never have I sat around and discussed the sterotypes of guys in different medical fields. Maybe it's because I'm not in medical school to get the MRS degree. ;)

Having been on here for wow, nearly 3 years now, I think it's interesting to watch the regulars get more intolerant of lame-ass-ness as they "mature" through their training, which IMNSHO is a wonderful thing. Zing!

Having been on here for wow, nearly 3 years now, I think it's interesting to watch the regulars get more intolerant of lame-ass-ness as they "mature" through their training, which IMNSHO is a wonderful thing. Zing!

Well, I think most people on this forum recognize that trolls are just simply pathetic. Only rare trolls will be somewhat interesting, the majority do stuff like attempt to use stereotypes or controversial topics to get others to respond. Trolls would be best served hanging out in the pre-allo forum where there is more immaturity in general (not to mention more people around which increases the chance that someone will respond to you in the way you want).

I can really think of very little that is more pathetic than someone taking the time to post on an internet message board a troll post like this. As I said, especially when the post is not even clever or remotely original. Of course, there aren't a ton of options to troll pathology forums, either you take your shot at the personality stereotypes or you go all out and attempt a necrophilia post.

Oh geez! For some reason I had been assuming you were a guy!:p Whoops! Sorry! :oops: :oops:

just go into dermatopathology...as soon as the women hear "derm" the rest of the word becomes pointless. :rolleyes:

or...here's a thought :idea: go into family med. you can say that you do derm procedures, take care of children, psych patients, etc.

if you come to the path field, we will make sure to "salt your game." :thumbup:

Oh geez! For some reason I had been assuming you were a guy!:p Whoops! Sorry! :oops: :oops:

so sean2tall doesn't feel alone on this one, i'll admit i also thought tiki was male. it seems to me that most of the regulars that post here are male (or perhaps i'm wrong about a lot of other posters too?), so that's my default assumption with posters until they say something to make me think otherwise. not that i could care less one way or the other about whether the people i enjoy discussing stuff with here on sdn are dudes or chicas. :hardy:

Nope, I'm a short little polish girl. :laugh:

And I for one, think Path guys are great. :D

Well, I'm going to pathology, I am a nerdy type and proud of it! I am dating a great woman now, who is nerdy herself and totally accepting of who I am.

By the way, here is a great article about nerds vs. jocks:
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

"Nobody will really be free until nerd persecution ends"
Gilbert, "Revenge of the Nerds"

Hmm...this thread shows all of the signs of dpl/pathmonster's handiwork....

By the way, here is a great article about nerds vs. jocks:
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

"Nobody will really be free until nerd persecution ends"
Gilbert, "Revenge of the Nerds"
I'm with ya in spirit. Thing is, all too often people confuse nerds, and geeks.

Geeks invented the Matrix.
Nerds don't get the Matrix.

And I am told that floating out on Wired.com is an article about the reasons why geeks make better lovers.

I do believ that the OP is the first troll I've ever seen in the Path forum!:laugh:

Nope, I'm a short little polish girl. :laugh:

And I for one, think Path guys are great. :D

Ive dated a short little polish girl before. I think you need to find your target audience for women potentially interested in path. So far, Ive found:
Most Asian women like docs in general, so you are good
Most Eastern European women likewise are into docs and many are very science oriented, so pathology is again a good thing
Women who parents are pathologists, dont forget this group, solid gold.

Some combos are speciality AND religion specific. ie there is a select target audience for the Jewish male pathologist vs. the Catholic one(which would include women of Poland, Southern Germany, Portugal, Ukraine, Czech Repub and Spain, oddly not Italy or France for some reason).

VERY generally speaking, New World Hispanic women (ie Mexico, Brazil etc) arent too interested in pathologists, no idea why but likely cultural.
Also, many American white women with limited science backgrounds arent into pathologists, I think it comes from having to explain what we do to their girlfriends over and over again.

Are you going to land a Brazilian model when competing against an orthpod? Probably not, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

Do I dare even bring it up? It should propbably be its own new thread but... Why won't most men date woman docs in general, let alone pathologists- I am under the general assumption that men docs, no matter what specialty, do not have a problem-

Do I dare even bring it up? It should propbably be its own new thread but... Why won't most men date woman docs in general, let alone pathologists- I am under the general assumption that men docs, no matter what specialty, do not have a problem-

Have a problem what? Finishing their sentences? Using question marks to denote their questions?
What? For the love of god WHAT?:smuggrin:

"most" guys are intimidated by smart women. Female pathologists? double trouble... :idea:

Have a problem what? Finishing their sentences? Using question marks to denote their questions?
What? For the love of god WHAT?:smuggrin:

"most" guys are intimidated by smart women. Female pathologists? double trouble... :idea:

I dont think pathologists should date each other purely for job concerns, psych issues aside for a moment.

I dont think men are actually intimidated by smart women, in fact I think rarely does intelligence intimidate ANYONE in social situations. It has far more to do with how you hold yourself and how you project your self-image to your fellow human beings. So-called smart people often come across as condecending and belittling, so I hate seeing the word "intimidation". Should be replaced with "Bee-otch"..most men are annoyed by bee-otches

I hate seeing the word intimidation because I dont most people use it properly. Feminists love to use it because they feel if they are intimidating and not simply being a pain in the butt, that somehow grants them power. No. Im sorry no.

By natural selection, physical intimidation is a far far bigger issue. Big men intimidate by nature's design.

Okay:
curie.gif

vs.

300MoviePic.jpg

TRANSITIVE VERB:
in·tim·i·dat·ed , in·tim·i·dat·ing , in·tim·i·dates
To make timid; fill with fear.
To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.

Thanks- I had a bet with one of my fellow residents about the response I would get- He owes me $5-

you should be careful about bragging about being right all the time.. you need to be more defferential, carry yourself more like a 'woman' and don't call men on their bull****.. because when you do that you are a bee-och.

oh and btw..

will you go out with me Thursday night?

I dont think men are actually intimidated by smart women, in fact I think rarely does intelligence intimidate ANYONE in social situations. It has far more to do with how you hold yourself and how you project your self-image to your fellow human beings. So-called smart people often come across as condecending and belittling...

Ignoring the word intimidation I would disagree that "average" guy is not put off by intelligent women. (not doctors or other educated types, average)

I hate seeing the word intimidation because I don't most people use it properly. Feminists love to use it because they feel if they are intimidating and not simply being a pain in the butt, that somehow grants them power.

I see your point about the word intimidation. (but def #1 to be made timid, still would be correct, but the implication is force)
I revise my original statement as follows: Average guys are daunted by intelligent women.

Thanks- I had a bet with one of my fellow residents about the response I would get- He owes me $5-

What was your bet? You would get berated for your lack of punctuation? Periods, Question marks, not hyphens.

i'll be glad to share my thoughts on this interesting question (the female docs part only - don't know enough women in path to have an educated opinion on that part). and screw starting a fresh thread - let's take over the troll's stupid question with an interesting discussion.

the simple answer is that most men are idiots - but in fairness, so are most women. however i don't know if i agree with your statement about most men not wanting to date docs. many of my female classmates that i'm good friends with have husbands or boyfriends in jobs ranging from architect, law student, fireman, and cop. and they're all cool guys. their common thread is not being bothered by a woman who's going to have to work a lot of hours, at least early in her career. note that i didn't say bothered by strong women. i don't think all female docs are "strong women" or feminists. there's a range of personalities among female docs, same as all women in general aside from the fact that they're presumably much brighter.

among the men that don't want to date female docs - it's probably a mix of a lot of things. fear of the stereotypical bitchy female, fear she'll be working 90 hours a week, traditional values that involve the woman staying at home while the man works - that type of stuff. there may also be men that are simply looking for a hookup and may assume a female doc may not be into a booty call. again, stupid assumption. my female classmates range from prudish to whorish, just like women outside of medicine.

now me personally, as a future doc i would prefer not to end up with another doctor just because of the logistics. two physician families of course can work, but i do think that it's tough when both parents are working that many hours. also, i don't wanna come home and talk shop all night and it's a natural tendency when people in the same profession get together to do that.

What was your bet? You would get berated for your lack of punctuation? Periods, Question marks, not hyphens.

While I am sure that you think that most things are about you, my response wasn't. I was referring to the post about how it must be my personality that is the problem. Sorry about my typing, I wasn't aware I was being graded.

And as to my own personal experience... I do know women docs that are married to great men but they were married or at least dating before they became doctors.

. my female classmates range from prudish to whorish, just like women outside of medicine.

Actually, I think most women in medicine/all professional women in general lean towards towards the loose end of the spectrum due to natural selection pressure. Women that dont work as much have more time to physically beautify themselves, work on social skills and otherwise attract male attention. To counter this advantage, professional women tend to play it fast and loose. To one up this counter, non professional women engage in more risky sex behaivor with more guys and so on. Its interesting to see this sexual arms race played out from a guy perspective. Then you throw the whole divorce psychology where millions of women in their 20s are looking for a father figure and you have a real show. Fancinating really. IMO, guys are having a better time in the Western world than anytime prior in recorded history. Low expectations and loose women everywhere. Coupled with almost no risk of massive WWII style battle and subsequent death, its a great time to be a guy.

I don't think its true that most men won't date women doctors. I'm sure there are some out there that don't like it (I almost married one) but most guys I've dated are fine with it.

I think it has more to do with personality than actual career. Women in medicine tend to be a little more ambitious and aggressive than the average female. (Not all females, but some...) So I'm sure that turns off some guys.

Women in medicine tend to be a little more ambitious and aggressive than the average female. (Not all females, but some...) So I'm sure that turns off some guys.

strippers are really aggressive and I havent seen a single guy turned off by it...

I think its something else more along the lines of hearing "You lazy bastad, get off your butt and get a real job like me, something that pays more than 10 bucks an hour...idiot."-actual conversation overheard during residency.

My point is that if a big section of people be you a man or woman are turned off by you, then there is a big problem usually with YOU not them. Lose weight, be nice, act curteous, be respectful of everyone's career choice. That bit of advice will carry you a long way.

While I am sure that you think that most things are about you, my response wasn't. I was referring to the post about how it must be my personality that is the problem.

I didn't assume anything. I wanted to know what you bet. And unless you bet that one guy would his usual dismissive self than I am not sure how you won.
:smuggrin:

And you lack of punctuation? No you aren't being graded, but you put the effort into hitting -, just hit . instead. I know I know ? is shift /, a whole extra key press.:laugh:

strippers are really aggressive and I havent seen a single guy turned off by it...

I think its something else more along the lines of hearing "You lazy bastad, get off your butt and get a real job like me, something that pays more than 10 bucks an hour...idiot."-actual conversation overheard during residency.

My point is that if a big section of people be you a man or woman are turned off by you, then there is a big problem usually with YOU not them. Lose weight, be nice, act curteous, be respectful of everyone's career choice. That bit of advice will carry you a long way.

By aggressive, I actually meant bitchy, but I was trying to be nice to my fellow females. :laugh:

And I totally agree with you. If Jessica Alba was a doctor, do you think guys wouldn't be hitting on her?