Are courtesy interviews real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got an II from Touro-NY even though my stats are much lower than their averages. GPA is a little lower but MCAT is way, way less. My parents are not donors to the school, I do not have an LOR from someone from Touro, I am not an in-state resident, and I'm not a URM. I've read on SDN that this school interviews well into April. My question is, even though this is probably for a waitlist spot, is it even worth going for the interview? Why did they even invite me?

I just want to be clear, I am happy I got the II. My issue is whether they have any intention of even considering me, even if I do well in the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently got an II from Touro-NY even though my stats are much lower than their averages. GPA is a little lower but MCAT is way, way less. My parents are not donors to the school, I do not have an LOR from someone from Touro, I am not an in-state resident, and I'm not a URM. I've read on SDN that this school interviews well into April. My question is, even though this is probably for a waitlist spot, is it even worth going for the interview? Why did they even invite me?

Yes this exist, but if you have no ties to the school whatsoever, that's not how it works. Just go on your interview like it's the real thing (obviously).

Courtesy interview = I live in the area, know some faculty pretty well, they score me an interview, I get rejected.

Reactions: 2 users

I personally haven't read much into Touro - NY, but I would assume you were invited to interview because something in your application stood out to them; embrace it! You have been deemed "possibly worthy of medical school, pending interview."

If you would attend Touro - NY for medical school: nail the interview, get accepted, then go become a B.A. physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes this exist, but if you have no ties to the school whatsoever, that's not how it works. Just go on your interview like it's the real thing (obviously).

Courtesy interview = I live in the area, know some faculty pretty well, they score me an interview, I get rejected.
I personally haven't read much into Touro - NY, courtesy interviews for that matter, but I would assume you were invited to interview because something in your application stood out to them; embrace it! You have been deemed "possibly worthy of medical school, pending interview."

If you would attend Touro - NY for medical school: nail the interview, get accepted, then go become a B.A. physician.

I live within driving distance from this school, so that may be a "tie to the school." So you guys still think I have a real shot at this school then? I feel like they just want to make themselves feel better about charging 200$ for the secondary.

I live within driving distance from this school, so that may be a "tie to the school." So you guys still think I have a real shot at this school then? I feel like they just want to make themselves feel better about charging 200$ for the secondary.

You might as well go for it. It's pretty late in the cycle in my opinion, but you should still try your hardest.

You might as well go for it. It's pretty late in the cycle in my opinion, but you should still try your hardest.
According to some SDN posts about the school, they started interviewing in October so I really hope this is not just a courtesy interview.

I just want to be clear, I am happy I got the II. My issue is whether they have any intention of even considering me, even if I do well in the interview.

I feel ya on this sentiment. I got an interview to NYCOM NY but my stats are well below the averages for their matriculants. I live 5-10 min away from the school though so I really think it's just some sort of courtesy thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apps are down nationwide to DO schools. They may be getting desperate, or you're not as bad a candidate as you think you are.

Courtesy interviews are given at the behest of important sponsors, like potential donors, Faculty, alumni, or even current students.

You can always ask the Admission dean once you get there what s/he saw in you.

Apps are down nationwide to DO schools. They may be getting desperate, or you're not as bad a candidate as you think you are.

Courtesy interviews are given at the behest of important sponsors, like potential donors, Faculty, alumni, or even current students.

You can always ask the Admission dean once you get there what s/he saw in you.

Any idea why apps are down nationwide this year?

They wouldn't give you an II if they had no intention in considering you. At this point in the cycle, assume that you are in their "2nd or 3rd tier" group of students. If this is a top choice for you, I would definitely go. If you do well on the interview and maybe with some luck with the WL, you might get off of it and be accepted further down the road. Trying to look too much into it is impossible since no one here is a psychic lol. You are probably interviewing for a WL spot, but a WL spot is much better than nothing at all.

Any idea why apps are down nationwide this year?

The economy is good. Well better than how it was when I was in college.

Business is a good option when the enconomy is good. People go into recession proof careers when it is bad

Do courtesy interviews ever actually work?
Or is it always courtesy interview -> waitlist -> rejection?

I wouldn't think DO schools do them lol.

Perhaps it was going uphill until 2016. It's kind of getting a "settle-down" I assume :)

I think that the new course requirements that the MCAT indirectly forces upon you along with the elongated test itself made a good number of premed students look into other health professions or totally different professions. Entering college students especially if non-science majors are realizing through their older peers that they most likely will have to take a gap year or more so the career looks less appealing. Plus the political chaos revolving around the health care system heavily affecting doctors, may just be enough to deter folks away from medicine.

At the 4 yr where I did part of my post bac, a lot of the stronger students in the sciences are doing pre-dental and getting in with not too much hassle. At the CC where I also attended, many folks taking the pre-reqs (second career folks interestingly enough) are going for PA/PT.