Are DO schools actually part of a cult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

islanddreams

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took tours at a few DO schools (won't mention any names) and was surprised to see pictures of A.T. Still everywhere. It was almost ominous, the way his beady eyes would look down at me as I walked around the OMM labs. The interview questions seem to be based around this guys "philosophy" which you must adhere to unless you want to be excluded. The schools force you to partake in weekly, bi-weekly or even tri-weekly rituals of OMM and general A.T. Still wank. What gives?! Why isn't anyone calling them out for their cult-like tendencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trolling. Their other post is about going to the islands to avoid DO prejudice from patients and others.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But what happens when it crosses the line?

Lame.

Business must be down on the islands.

Reactions: 2 users
I light a candle every night for At Still showing us the true ways of holism. I thought it was normal? Anyway, we are having a party with Kool aid later. You might want to come :)

Reactions: 11 users
Line is always in the eye of the beholder. Since AT Still is, in many ways, the "flag ship" school of the entire osteopathic profession, I am not sure there is a line for them to cross

So when do you think the AT Still masturbatory sessions will lose their vigor?

I light a candle every night for At Still showing us the true ways of holism. I thought it was normal? Anyway, we are having a party with Kool aid later. You might want to come :)

Kool aid is gross

The schools force you to partake in weekly, bi-weekly or even tri-weekly rituals of OMM and general A.T. Still wank. What gives?!

OMM happens to be the point of DO schools, bro. When you finally start classes at DeVry university, are you going to post another thread like, "omg who is this Frank Netter guy and why are they making us buy his books with funny pictures in them?! Such cult"

OMM happens to be the point of DO schools, bro. When you finally start classes at DeVry university, are you going to post another thread like, "omg who is this Frank Netter guy and why are they making us buy his books with funny pictures in them?! Such cult"

vol.1.1641.jpg

Are you trying to fight?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, yes, yes. Osteopathic medicine is most definitely a cult.* But hey, some of us are willing to join a cult in exchange for a decent residency. Others go to the islands and dream.

*Just kidding. DOs aren't cult members. Except maybe the ones who teach OMM.

Reactions: 1 users
0/10

Better luck next time

Reactions: 4 users
*Just kidding. DOs aren't cult members. Except maybe the ones who teach OMM.

I heard more advanced OMM practitioners can actually reach into your chest and pull out your beating heart. It gives those sacrificial rituals devoted to Still an extra Indiana Jones flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I took tours at a few DO schools (won't mention any names) and was surprised to see pictures of A.T. Still everywhere. It was almost ominous, the way his beady eyes would look down at me as I walked around the OMM labs. The interview questions seem to be based around this guys "philosophy" which you must adhere to unless you want to be excluded. The schools force you to partake in weekly, bi-weekly or even tri-weekly rituals of OMM and general A.T. Still wank. What gives?! Why isn't anyone calling them out for their cult-like tendencies?

Hush Hush! You have said too much.

Just FYI, it is part of the DO cult ways to call anyone who speaks out about the ways of the DO schools a troll. Just like it is to call troll on anyone who doesn't conform to MD=DO. Keep your head down, do your OMM, state your osteopathic philosophies and you will get out ok.

this trolling post is really lacking the creativity and subtlety necessary to troll effectively. I emphasize the need for subtlety. you gotta use subtext to make your trolling efforts truly shine. for instance, try with something like this: "As a DO, will I be able to make as much money as an MD?" That should start a flaming the likes of which you've never seen before. flames that burn with the heat of a thousand suns.

Another classic but subtle trolling technique you should incorporate into your trolling attempts to make them less obvious: use phrases and terms that are obviously wrong and not applicable. These can go along the lines of: "Are there any differences between DOs and chiropractors, because they look like they're the exact same thing", and "Is there any way I can change my DO to an MD after I graduate?". that right there will start a trench war that makes World War I look like a drunken fist fight. another favorite for trolls who decide to go with the mislabeling route, they will use the term osteopath when describing DOs. "As an Osteopath, is it true that I won't be able to get a job in the US or practice in Kazakhstan?"

I can see you are still a trolling infant, with the smell of breastmilk still fresh on your lips, but with these tools I think you can one day be the biggest and best troll of all. in the meantime, i will give this subpar attempt a 1/10.

Remember, subtlety and subtext!

Reactions: 7 users

There is no cult per say, but there is a cult like following among many faculty in various DO schools with regards to AT Still and other DOs. There are two schools named after AT Still.

There is no cult per say, but there is a cult like following among many faculty in various DO schools with regards to AT Still and other DOs. There are two schools named after AT Still.
I've always wondered what students at ATSU's other programs (dentistry, PA, PT, etc.) know about/think of AT Still.... it must be weird to have their school named after someone who has nothing to do with their program.

I've always wondered what students at ATSU's other programs (dentistry, PA, PT, etc.) know about/think of AT Still.... it must be weird to have their school named after someone who has nothing to do with their program.

Samuel Hahnemann coined the term Allopathy in the 19th Century. The interesting thing about him was that he was a practitioner of homeopathic medicine. When AT Still developed his philosophy, Medicine was not based on the kind of scientific principles that it has been guided upon since the 20th Century.

Also for you information, John Morgan built the first medical school in the US, the Medical College of Pennsylvania, which is now part of U of Penn.

We will accept you, OP. One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble gooble-gobble.

Samuel Hahnemann coined the term Allopathy in the 19th Century. The interesting thing about him was that he was a practitioner of homeopathic medicine. When AT Still developed his philosophy, Medicine was not based on the kind of scientific principles that it has been guided upon since the 20th Century.

Also for you information, John Morgan built the first medical school in the US, the Medical College of Pennsylvania, which is now part of U of Penn.

The MD school that is now owned by Drexel was at one point called Hahnemann (yes named after the same founder of homeopathy) and their affiliated hospital is still Hahnemann University Hospital.

Funnily enough, allopathy was coined by Hahnemann as a derogatory term for traditional medicine (i.e. medicine) when he established homeopathy, but eventually the term was appropriated by MDs and the AMA, so no one thinks of it like that anymore.

Homeopathy is interesting... with ideas like drug dynamism and the law of infintessimals...

The MD school that is now owned by Drexel was at one point called Hahnemann (yes named after the same founder of homeopathy) and their affiliated hospital is still Hahnemann University Hospital.

Funnily enough, allopathy was coined by Hahnemann as a derogatory term for traditional medicine (i.e. medicine) when he established homeopathy, but eventually the term was appropriated by MDs and the AMA, so no one thinks of it like that anymore.

Homeopathy is interesting... with ideas like drug dynamism and the law of infintessimals...

Well it was in the 19th Century, and traditional medicine was nothing like today. It was in the early 20th Century when medicine was shifted to evidence based practice.

Interesting or hilarious?

Take your pick.

Well it was in the 19th Century, and traditional medicine was nothing like today. It was in the early 20th Century when medicine was shifted to evidence based practice.

Evidence based scientific practice began long before the 20th century, we just didn't regulate or develop it in medicine until the 20th century. Advances like aseptic techniques and better understanding of the cause of disease changed things quite a bit. Heroic medicine wasn't all that great...

I have no problem with the process taken by others in the past in hopes of finding a way to help people (based on the limited knowledge of the time). I don't know if I can say the same of those in homeopathic medicine that still profess that a "medicine" can be made stronger by diluting it repeatedly with water. I also take issue with any claimed panacea.