Are Kaplan books enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giznut12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Kaplan books and was wondering if using them as my only source (along with First Aid of course) would be adequate. Are there any books in the set (other than the Pathology book) that are weak? Any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

most people believe they are more than enough. biochem, neuro, micro, and immuno sections are very good (better than most review books), BHS is not as good as BRS, and Kaplan Path you should just light on fire, get BRS path. hope this helps.

I'm pretty much going to use straight kaplan books. I'm going to use the organ system books which have embryo, histo, antamy, path, pharm all for cardio etc... in one section. The path in these books is pretty comparable to BRS (the path book from the subject books is just an outline). Then i am going to use the kaplan biochem and behavioral science subject books and a lange review book for micro. Can't forget first aid and Q review.

anyone else used the organ system books?

kirk

Members don't see this ad :)
So i got a free version of the kaplan books for 1997 (that's all the organ sytems, pharm, behavioral science and etc.), and now i'm wondering whether or not i should use them. Anyone know how outdated or helpful these books are? Initially i had planned to use First aid and use BRS type books as references when necessary. Now i'm wondering whether or not i should purchase these other BRS books (which could end up costing huge amts of money) or to use the Kaplan 1997 books as my references.
What do u guys think?

My plan is as follows:

FA and Step Up (borrowed from our library)
BRS for BHS, Path, Physiology and Biochem (secondary to FA)
Clinical Micro made ridiculously simple
Lippincott and FA for Pharm
High Yield and FA for Neuro and Gross

Cell Bio, Histo, and Embryology can suck it

I'm also planning on taking the two NBME usmle assessment exams, as well as purchasing 1 month o' QBank.

I've heard that Kaplan has some great review books, but I'm not looking to spend much more money. Plus, the review texts I have (above) work for me.

As for the OP's most recent question, I don't know what to tell you. I've talked with quite a few people who have taken the Step recently and they have ALL recommended the books I've outlined above, and nothing more. Working plenty of practice questions is good for you too.

Probably not a great idea. The books are 7 years old, and the organ system books aren't that good to begin with. Try the Kaplan lecture notes. You can get last year's cheap on ebay.

Originally posted by GrnLt
So i got a free version of the kaplan books for 1997 (that's all the organ sytems, pharm, behavioral science and etc.), and now i'm wondering whether or not i should use them. Anyone know how outdated or helpful these books are? Initially i had planned to use First aid and use BRS type books as references when necessary. Now i'm wondering whether or not i should purchase these other BRS books (which could end up costing huge amts of money) or to use the Kaplan 1997 books as my references.
What do u guys think?