Are most internships limited to minorities only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillzhou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After looking through a few internships like SMDEP, i realized one of the requirements was to have come from a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine, which is clearly not the case with me. Should I still try out by applying for it (considering I meet other requirements), or do I stand no chance at all?

Members don't see this ad.

SMDEP states they consider if you're from such a background. It's not the only thing they consider and most programs if not all programs put such consideration. So even if you're a ORM or over represented then its no biggy as long as you've got good stats.
Anyways I wouldn't call this a internship. I'd call it pre-med summer camp.

After looking through a few internships like SMDEP, i realized one of the requirements was to have come from a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine, which is clearly not the case with me. Should I still try out by applying for it (considering I meet other requirements), or do I stand no chance at all?
Hogwarts Hogwarts Hoggy Wortty Hogwarts
Teach us something please-
weather we be old and bald
or young with scabby knees-

Our heads could do with filling
with some interesting stuff
for now there bear and full
of air dead flies and bits of fluff

So teach us things worth knowing
bring back what we forgot
just do your best we'll do the rest
and learn untill our brains all rott

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6cJnQQsWc[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)

Really SMDEP is not that competitive. Just meet their minimum requirements, which you have, and apply early. You will get in for sure to any one institution. I am a particular race but not underrepresented in medicine and got into 3 institutions (Howard, UMDNJ at Rutgers and University of Texas at Houston) but I found better internships. Go ahead and still apply!

SMDEP states they consider if you're from such a background. It's not the only thing they consider and most programs if not all programs put such consideration. So even if you're a ORM or over represented then its no biggy as long as you've got good stats.
Anyways I wouldn't call this a internship. I'd call it pre-med summer camp.

also this quote is definitely true. If you want to do SMDEP, its best to do it after freshman year of college going into your sophomore year. Doing it after Sophomore going into junior year is alright but you should rather try to work at pharmaceutical companies, labs or other internships other than SMDEP.

" Are most internships limited to minorities only?"

Answer:
Hell No! :laugh: go ahead and apply!

ummm.... no.

There are definitely targeted programs, but most are not that way.