Are my chances lower as a trad applicant (no gap years)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

butterflypie

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-CA ORM F, 20 yo trad applicant, attend a UC
-3.9 gpa, 520 mcat
-Clinical: 1200 paid MA/scribe (1 year), 50 free clinic volunteering. Have gained a lot of close experience with physicians and patients that I think I can talk about well.
-Research: 1500 in a lab (2 years) with 3 posters, 1 pub in progress, 1 private pub (low impact). Have an independent project that I am very passionate about.
-Non-clinical volunteering: 200 with club, 150 at soup kitchen, 50 program w/underserved kids
-Leadership: 300 as club leader,
-Teaching: 150 as a "TA"
-Shadowing: 50 in 2 specialties
Hi all, I made a WAMC post recently and am updating my school list. What I have so far is below (not finalized, need to cut down). I've seen a discussion here that taking no gap years is a disadvantage for med schools and am wondering if that's true? Anecdotally from my friends it seems like that is the case (a friend who took 2 gap years got into great schools vs. a friend with much stronger stats/ecs but no gap years didn't), but is there any info or data I can find to look at this? Just wondering if I should bother applying to T20 schools. Thanks!
school-list (1).png
 
Last edited:
Previously
 
I've seen a discussion here that taking no gap years is a disadvantage for med schools and am wondering if that's true? Anecdotally from my friends it seems like that is the case (a friend who took 2 gap years got into great schools vs. a friend with much stronger stats/ecs but no gap years didn't), but is there any info or data I can find to look at this? Just wondering if I should bother applying to T20 schools. Thanks!
Many of us on admissions committees know how much deeper many non-traditional/gap year applicants' profiles are when defining their purpose as physicians, thanks in part to that "real life" post-baccalaurate experience. Of course, we'll consider qualified "traditional" applicants as long as they are comfortable with a diverse student peer group that also has a deeper well of life experience to draw upon when working with others unlike themselves.

Anecdotally, consider that most traditional college undergraduates, especially those at "brand name" universities, are a generally age-homogeneous population, so you are used to have people around your age in classrooms with you. You all talk about similar things because you have a similar cultural perspective. That's not quite the same if you attended -- as an example -- a more public university that takes a lot of community college or returning graduate career-changers trying to do well in general chemistry lecture or lab. (Read about Mindset List - Wikipedia , now run by Marist University Marist Mindset List Class of 2024: New Approach to Examining What Defines First-Year College Students - Marist University .)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many of us on admissions committees know how much deeper many non-traditional/gap year applicants' profiles are when defining their purpose as physicians, thanks in part to that "real life" post-baccalaurate experience. Of course, we'll consider qualified "traditional" applicants as long as they are comfortable with a diverse student peer group that also has a deeper well of life experience to draw upon when working with others unlike themselves.

Anecdotally, consider that most traditional college undergraduates, especially those at "brand name" universities, are a generally age-homogeneous population, so you are used to have people around your age in classrooms with you. You all talk about similar things because you have a similar cultural perspective. That's not quite the same if you attended -- as an example -- a more public university that takes a lot of community college or returning graduate career-changers trying to do well in general chemistry lecture or lab. (Read about Mindset List - Wikipedia , now run by Marist University Marist Mindset List Class of 2024: New Approach to Examining What Defines First-Year College Students - Marist University .)
I see. So I would guess I wouldn't be compared side by side to an applicant with many gap years and more extensive experiences. My next question would be how I can show that I would be able to collaborate with a diverse population through my application? Or is that something that I should think about for interviews? I would agree that my school experiences are with those of my age and similar mindsets, but at work and volunteering I work with people mostly older than me and with vastly different backgrounds & lives than me (not sure if that's something I can directly spell out though).

Also the mindset list is cool i've never heard of that before!
 
I see. So I would guess I wouldn't be compared side by side to an applicant with many gap years and more extensive experiences. My next question would be how I can show that I would be able to collaborate with a diverse population through my application? Or is that something that I should think about for interviews? I would agree that my school experiences are with those of my age and similar mindsets, but at work and volunteering I work with people mostly older than me and with vastly different backgrounds & lives than me (not sure if that's something I can directly spell out though).

Also the mindset list is cool i've never heard of that before!

If you cannot show examples of collaborating with diverse groups (not just "a" population), it might be challenging to discuss it in interviews or write about it in essays. I like to see instances where you are comfortable with uncomfortable people or situations. Check how secondary essays ask.