Medical Are my chances ok to apply this cycle or should I get GPA up and apply next cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Trying to decide what would be best at this point*
-Currently a junior with a 3.7 sGPA 3.8 overall. MCAT 514. Texas Resident
-100+hours shadowing varies specialties
-100's volunteer hours with medical organization with leadership
-100's hours of working as a cna at a children's hospital all four years of school
-Did research freshman first semester but dropped due to personal reasons second semester
-Junior and senior year will be doing research at a local medical school with outreach to local community.
-Nutrition major.
-Decided that was what I want I study to be a more well rounded doctor because as a younger adult I went through so many eating/health issues and wish more doctors factored that in as part of diagnosis. Volunteer also in a women's shelter to help immigrants learn to transition to a healthy diet in the US with ongoing health issues or to prevent them.

Trying to decide whether I have good enough stats to apply this cycle, or wait for next cycle to apply with current GPA. Will slightly go up after this semester, but not sure if it will be enough.
Numbers alone don't tell the whole story. As a nutrition major, what biomedical classes did you take?

On face value, with your networking with your medical school, you probably would be strong for in-state Texas. I would feel more comfortable with a breakdown of your experience hours in shadowing and clinical experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Thank you for the feedback.

-For over 100+ (going back to paystubs to look at the actual number of hundreds hours clinical experience, have been working on hands with direct patient contact from sitting in an ER with a suicidal patient ensuring their safety (interesting stories on some that I don't know if I can use because of HIPPA about Peds patients rights), collaboration of care in a PICU, taking vitals on patients q.i.d, cleaning/bathing patients prn, communicating physician orders to patients parents in rehab units with language barriers with the assistance of robotic translators, plus much more I can add. I work 12 hour overnight shifts on weekends and occasionally during the week and assist in any other needs of nurses. I can cut back on these, and add more shadowing if needed.

-For biomedical classes, I have taken the required, bios, labs, chem, o-chems, physics, microbio, genetics, stats, etc. in addition to my nutrition major requirements which often having overlapping material.

-Shadowing hours will be about 24 Neuro, 24 Ortho, 50+Peds. Should I try to obtain more or additional specialties this semester? I also have the opportunity to do a few grand rounds with the med students. Should I include that as part of shadowing or a separate EC?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.