Are my extracurriculars enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsatdawn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Since I'm currently wrapping up my Sophomore year, I wanted to get further insight on my extracurricular situation. After gaging my availability and how I established myself on my campus for the past two years, I can't help but wonder how much is enough? I'm not sure how my extracurriculars look stacked up to the typical med school applicant. I can't seem to find straightforward advising surrounding my general resume/application at my university. So that's why I came here! Here is the list:

Ronald E. McNair Program Scholar (2 year research opportunity for minority students; I am a Sociology major so I will be surrounding my research on lead levels in the particular area my school is located in).

Events Chair Director for a poetry club that I have been apart of on campus since the second week of my freshman year. We all go into the inner city every week to bridge the gap between the inner city and the university and we mentor the kids and show them how poetry could be used as a means of creativity and expression.

I volunteer at the emergency department 4 hours every week. I have acquired 50+ hours this semester. I intend on volunteering next semester at a different department for the same amount of time.

Student ambassador for my College of Arts and Sciences. I help with admissions events and talk/give tours to students who are specifically interested in STEM/Pre-Health.

Historian for a popular pre-health society at my university during my freshman year. The club became virtually inactive during my sophomore year due to commitment issues from e-board. The president of the club from my freshman year recently appointed me the presidential role for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year.

I am a direct mentor for a ninth grader at one of the local high schools near my university.

I have acquired 300+ hours of clinical hours at a pediatric clinic during my past two summers.

I also aso acquired other random volunteering hours through helping first year students move in, helping out at elementary school science fairs, etc.

I'm looking into shadowing this summer. I'm also studying abroad in Spain next school year (I'm conversational in Spanish).

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing really well. You seem really active and involved in clubs and research at your college, and have gotten a large amount of clinical volunteering. The poetry volunteering is good, particularly if you have a passion for it that you can convey in essays and interviews. But I suggest, if you have time to do more (as you seem very busy), perhaps volunteering in a way that more directly benefits the under served, like volunteering in a soup kitchen.

Reactions: 1 user