Are Penn students happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacbum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was just wondering how all you Penn students like your school? how do they treat you after you're in? what do you like? what don't you like? how is life in Philly? i'm from Cali, so it would be a big move, I'm just wondering if it's worth it or not...esp with the tuition.

Penn was one of my favorite schools on paper, just by gathering information about the school, but I really wanted input from the students, so if you could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a really good time and couldn't have picked a better school to go to. Lots of kids from Cali enjoying themselves too.

I live in Philly and Ive talked with 3rd and 4th year students at Penn. Their consensus is that they really regret going to Penn for the following reasons:

1. way too expensive....the costs just kept on rising....the exact phrase one of them used??? "money sucking parasites"....ouch

2. Not enough clinical experience at all.....a lot of their oral surgery cases are referred to the residents, and they felt for the money they spend on the school, they should definitely be getting more clinical experience, especially when considering the other Philadelphia dental school is much cheaper and has a reputation of having way more clinical exposure

3. The Ivy nametag really becomes insignificant when u get closer to the end.....I know when u are a predent and u just got into an Ivy League school, u get very excited. By the time you are in your senior years, all you really wanna do is get out of debt and graduate and start practicing......you slowly begin to realize that the Ivy name was not worth it

4. everyone in the class wants to specialize so its hard to stand out

LIke I said, thats what they told me so take it for what you will.....if you are really in a dilemma, then go back to the school and talk to SENIOR dental students and ask them the truth.....dont trust the students u talked to during your interview because most likely those were the super happy students =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, well I actually talk to SENIOR dental students everyday and they seem to like it. If fact, they had a grand ol' time at the formal on Friday.

2. Not enough clinical experience at all.....a lot of their oral surgery cases are referred to the residents, and they felt for the money they spend on the school, they should definitely be getting more clinical experience, especially when considering the other Philadelphia dental school is much cheaper and has a reputation of having way more clinical exposure

I'm curious as to how true this is. Big Red, what has been your experience in this area speaking with the D3s and D4s?

Better yet, talk to recent alums and ask them if it was worth the tuition. They're the ones who could give you the most accurate answer. Dental school is torture no matter where you go.

I'm curious as to how true this is. Big Red, what has been your experience in this area speaking with the D3s and D4s?

They mostly say that if you are hardworking you can get as much experience as you want. However, some people just want to finish their requirements and get out. I think no matter where you go you are tired of school by 4th year and want to start making money. It is also my mentality though that I think all dentists should do a GPR or AEGD before they start practicing so take it as you will. Back to the original point...we have fun and enjoy Philly. One of my 3rd year friends spends half his time just scheduling intermural sports events and bar-crawls.