Are pharmacy jobs really that plentiful??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Superflyjsc

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All ive been hearing alot was that pharmacy is growing faster than there are pharmacists availble to be hired.
However, i live in PA and ive been trying to find work as a pharm tech so I can get experience before applying to pharmacy schools next year. I have literally been to every pharmacy stores, small chains to big chains to independant pharmacy stores near where i live and not one place is hiring. In fact, they dont even have many regular staffers becuase business is sooo slow.
I live in philadelphia so I assume business should be really good in this area but if its hard to find work where I live then im wondering where exactly are the pharmacy jobs plentiful??
 
I really don't know. According to the NACDS manpower survey http://www.nacdsfoundation.org/NACDSfoundation/2003/survey_results.pdf the retail pharmacist shortage is somewhat abating in Pennsylvania, but there's still a shortage. Perhaps it's cuz now you guys have 6 pharmacy schools open in your state.

There are still quite a few areas where there are shortages. In California, the central valley comes to mind. Here in Las Vegas, we continue to have a shortage as well. One of the hospitals here has about 6 positions still open (FT/PT/PD). According to that survey, there are close to 5000 chain openings nationwide as of last July.
 
I've been trying to get a summer internship in Florida, with no luck so far. I was asked by Eckerd if I was willing to go to Chiefland which is a small hick town 2 hours north of where I live.

I think there is a shortage, just not in metropolitan areas.