Are pharmacy jobs really that plentiful??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All ive been hearing alot was that pharmacy is growing faster than there are pharmacists availble to be hired.
However, i live in PA and ive been trying to find work as a pharm tech so I can get experience before applying to pharmacy schools next year. I have literally been to every pharmacy stores, small chains to big chains to independant pharmacy stores near where i live and not one place is hiring. In fact, they dont even have many regular staffers becuase business is sooo slow.
I live in philadelphia so I assume business should be really good in this area but if its hard to find work where I live then im wondering where exactly are the pharmacy jobs plentiful??

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know. According to the NACDS manpower survey http://www.nacdsfoundation.org/NACDSfoundation/2003/survey_results.pdf the retail pharmacist shortage is somewhat abating in Pennsylvania, but there's still a shortage. Perhaps it's cuz now you guys have 6 pharmacy schools open in your state.

There are still quite a few areas where there are shortages. In California, the central valley comes to mind. Here in Las Vegas, we continue to have a shortage as well. One of the hospitals here has about 6 positions still open (FT/PT/PD). According to that survey, there are close to 5000 chain openings nationwide as of last July.

I've been trying to get a summer internship in Florida, with no luck so far. I was asked by Eckerd if I was willing to go to Chiefland which is a small hick town 2 hours north of where I live.

I think there is a shortage, just not in metropolitan areas.