Are primary care and academic medicine mutually exclusive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vivax

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I list both academic medicine and primary care as interests if schools were to ask this question? Particularly if the school focuses on primary care? I just don't often see/hear about PCPs doing research or working in large teaching hospitals etc.
 
Can I list both academic medicine and primary care as interests if schools were to ask this question? Particularly if the school focuses on primary care? I just don't often see/hear about PCPs doing research or working in large teaching hospitals etc.
Not even close. There is a ton of research done in primary care, and even more physicians that have a role in academia as far as teaching/admin roles.

Now if by research you mean bench work, then I would imagine there are few primary care physicians that do that compared to specialists/subspecialists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad