Are scholarships an actual thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if getting a scholarship is a thing in dental school or if it’s like witnessing a unicorn. I’ve heard of people calling school X when they have a cheap offer from school Y asking if they could match it. Anyone heard of anything like that happening?

Can you apply for scholarships?

Is it a dumb question to ask interviewers if their school offers scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know this too, I believe these are only given in outstanding circumstances.

I'm sure some schools have merit-based scholarships for the very outstanding few students. Otherwise, most scholarships tend to be need-based, those who are capable of getting into dental school have a good academic record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two schools I interviewed at (Michigan and Iowa) said they give merit based scholarships based on GPA. The scholarships usually range from $5-15k a year.

I'm sure some schools have merit-based scholarships for the very outstanding few students. Otherwise, most scholarships tend to be need-based, those who are capable of getting into dental school have a good academic record.
I’m assuming most of us are “need-based” if we’re paying with it all with loan money as an independent . (Haven’t met anyone lucky enough who doesn’t have to).

They are rare but they exist. I was offered some of varying amounts from a few of the schools I was accepted to.

Reactions: 1 user