Are scholarships an actual thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if getting a scholarship is a thing in dental school or if it’s like witnessing a unicorn. I’ve heard of people calling school X when they have a cheap offer from school Y asking if they could match it. Anyone heard of anything like that happening?

Can you apply for scholarships?

Is it a dumb question to ask interviewers if their school offers scholarship?
 
I'd like to know this too, I believe these are only given in outstanding circumstances.
 
I'm sure some schools have merit-based scholarships for the very outstanding few students. Otherwise, most scholarships tend to be need-based, those who are capable of getting into dental school have a good academic record.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure some schools have merit-based scholarships for the very outstanding few students. Otherwise, most scholarships tend to be need-based, those who are capable of getting into dental school have a good academic record.
I’m assuming most of us are “need-based” if we’re paying with it all with loan money as an independent . (Haven’t met anyone lucky enough who doesn’t have to).