Are some majors preferred over...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darat_dmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...others?

Would a history major, for example, be at a disadvantage to a biology or chemistry major, or are the prerequisites truly enough? How about if that history major took some extra science courses beyond the prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

It is more important to do well in whatever major you choose. Say, if you choose to major in biology, but your heart is set on history, you may not fair as well academically. The specific major doesn't matter much. It all boils down to performance. Taking extra, higher level classes will improve any application, science major or not. Good luck.

I agree with Atlas. I majored in psychology as an undergrad, but still found time to take all the prereq's as well as some more upper-level bio and chem classes. It is also important to major in something that interests you so that you may fall back on in that unlikely event that you (gulp!) do not get accepted into dental school.

P.S. - One of my friends did her undergrad in history and is a first-year dental student this year.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Eric