Are Summer Classes Really Harder Than Fall/Spring Ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CW 2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning to take Gen Chem 1 this Spring, and then Gen Chem 2 in the Summer (I am taking them at CC). And I am getting an impression that Summer classes are harder than classes in Fall/Spring. What do you think? Do they seem harder because the Semester is shorter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am planning to take Gen Chem 1 this Spring, and then Gen Chem 2 in the Summer (I am taking them at CC). And I am getting an impression that Summer classes are harder than classes in Fall/Spring. What do you think? Do they seem harder because the Semester is shorter?

Thanks!

They are harder if your take the intensive sequences (2 semesters/3 quarters worth of material crammed into one summer, essentially).

i think it's easier because i never lose track of it.
taking one class, for a few hours every day is not that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it's easier because i never lose track of it.
taking one class, for a few hours every day is not that bad.

I took organic chemistry this summer and hated it. Class every night of the week and no time to pre-study for the class. I only made an A because everyone else did badly also.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
Basically, you're doing the same amount of material in 1/2 or even 1/3 of the time. How hard that is will depend on what else you have going on in your life. I don't think it's realistic for most people to work full-time and take a gen chem class over the summer, because don't forget that you'll have to take lab, too. But if you can be a full-time student, it's probably going to be manageable.

For me, personally, summer courses (especially math/calculus) work out better because I am more likely to do better on the final rather than having had forgotten everything like in a normal semester. That, and the repetitiveness of it all day to day helps you to retain better.

Good luck!

Well, based on your info and other people's responses, I think taking your chem 2 course during the summer would be a good choice. Since it isn't an intensive sequence, you'll have the luxury of focusing on one class over a shorter period of time... but not TOO short. in other words, you won't have to worry about having twice the amount of work being thrown at you and crammed into a short summer. I say go for it! :thumbup:

I really enjoyed summer classes for three reasons:

A. You are focused like a lazer beam on the subject material (you eat, breath and sleep the class).
B. Smaller class sizes.
C. Less time lapse between coverage of material and exam, i.e. the material is fresh as a new born baby.

The draw backs are:

A. Less time to play catch up with material that throws you for a loop.
B. There is no time for anything else, it can wear on you and make you stressed.
C. Cost $, costs more to take them during the summer you pay by credit opposed to by the semester.

I would recommend them if you can keep up and have 0 distractions. I have also heard summer compressed courses mirror med school, so good prep?

Anywho good luck.

Thank you for the replies!

I will not take more than 1 class during the Summer, so.... I should be fine, I guess....

But reading all the comments people make regarding Chemistry, I am getting scared that it has too much Math! :scared:
Math was never my strongest subject. The last Math class was more than 10 years ago. And I barely got a C then. :(
I don't know.... Either I'll be able to manage it somehow..... Or I'll have to drop Chem 1 and take some basic Math class.

I took organic I & II over a summer at a 4 year school (10 years ago) and got A's. It was basically a 50+ hour a week full-time job. You have to take the bull by the horns (e.g. read the chapter before class, don't just show up for the spoon-feeding from your professor; stay at the library to study between class and lab and eat lunch on the run- don't go home and watch TV).

Gen Chem does have some math, but nothing too complicated. If you can understand the principles, the math will follow like a hand in a glove. Maybe get one of the TPRH books and review the math chapters in the back of the physical sciences book to see if that knocks the rust off.

Research the professor also. I had Calc II over the summer with the head of the math dept who was intent on condensing all the material into a very intense summer class. I have also taken Gen Chem II with a professor who only taught over summers and was more relaxed about fitting everything in as well as Physics II with a guy who simplified things and even allowed us to use a huge notecard on every exam.

You have to take the bull by the horns (e.g. read the chapter before class, don't just show up for the spoon-feeding from your professor; stay at the library to study between class and lab and eat lunch on the run- don't go home and watch TV).
This is essential as well for any difficult class. They are often 2-3 hours a day 4-5 days a week. If you do not read prior to the lecture it is easy to become lost and have to play catch-up, especially if the professor goes fast to fit things in. Be sure to read before class and also go over your notes about an hour after class to help with retention.

I think most people can manage summer classes but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. I am SO relieved to have some space in my head now that it's fall. At my school the professors seemed to take pity on us because we were literally having the information shoved down our throats so the exams weren't quite as tricky as during the semester (well that was my guess...I was always soo pressed for time in the gen chem II exams my head would be spinning afterwards ;-)).

It's not difficult math in general chemistry. I did wish I had been disciplined enough to review some things though. Just, like, remind yourself what the quadratic equation is and logarithms and then practice plenty of chem problems, making sure you are getting them right and you'll be fine. I knew some smart people who got C's in gen chem II the first time around and they just weren't consistent enough about practicing the problems.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

It depends on the class and you. When you take Gen Chem 1 you'll see that its has quite a bit of math. Gen Chem 2 has more math than Gen Chem 1, so if you enjoy the math in Chemistry it shouldn't be that bad. You just have to remember that you'll have lectures everyday and lab twice a week, depending on the way its offered.

So, I would take Gen Chem 1, if you find that you understand the concepts and like the math involved then you'll do great in gen chem 2... However, if you find gen chem 1 challenging you might want to reconsider it (also look to see if you have a good prof. in the summer)... The most important thing is that you dont get bad grades... Getting a "C" will not look good and it will take 3 times the effort recovering your GPA... Hope that helps, sorry for not giving a direct answer, but getting good grades is what its all about..

i think you should take fall semester, i personally thought that the summer is harder than other semester. Think alternate my friend :)