Are the Kaplan course books any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiro90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in the Kaplan MCAT course, and I am just wondering if I can get your advice regarding the Kaplan books that come with the course? I read somewhere in this forum that they are too brief. Is that true? I also have the TBR books for gen chem, orgo, and physics, but which books do you recommend me to study from?
PS: I have the TPR course books and the EK study package (I spent way too much, I know lol) if you recommend studying from any of these two.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently enrolled in the Kaplan MCAT course, and I am just wondering if I can get your advice regarding the Kaplan books that come with the course? I read somewhere in this forum that they are too brief. Is that true? I also have the TBR books for gen chem, orgo, and physics, but which books do you recommend me to study from?
PS: I have the TPR course books and the EK study package (I spent way too much, I know lol) if you recommend studying from any of these two.

in a nutshell... no. the kaplan books suck.

read the sticky at the top of this board for book recommendations, or do the search function and you will find hundreds of threads with the same question.

Personally, I found the books rocked when read straight with notes and reading to the actual information. I found the class itself sucked, the people who taught me were kind of awful. I loved their practice tests though, they really gave me a good practice in comparison to the exam. Just my opinion though. Most people probably do not read the books as closely as I did.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the Kaplan books were very helpful. I would recommend keeping up with the book work in between the Kaplan classes because that really helps to bring it all together.

I didn't like Kaplan books at all. They are very brief and maybe are good for the people that don't need much of review. EK series is the same way. Maybe only the Bio book was ok. I prefer TBR over any other prep book/s

Are you guys talking about the books the are sold online, or the ones that come with the course, or they are basically the same? I personally like the course books but feel discouraged by the number of people who say that Kaplan books are not enough. Should I use TBR instead? I heard TBR has good passage practice, but is it better in covering and explaining the content? Thanks for all the input!

Are you guys talking about the books the are sold online, or the ones that come with the course, or they are basically the same? I personally like the course books but feel discouraged by the number of people who say that Kaplan books are not enough. Should I use TBR instead? I heard TBR has good passage practice, but is it better in covering and explaining the content? Thanks for all the input!

I've read more threads on this subject than anyone ever should. You have them all at your disposal, so mix and match.

Physics and general chemistry are BR all the way for content and passages. There's no argument at all.

O chem seems to depend on how well you know it. PR or BR if you need more help (BR seems a little more preferred) and EK if you just need a touchup.

Bio is EK for content and BR/PR for passages.

EK all the way for verbal with PR passages mixed in.

I think the Kaplan books are actually quite good, specifically the new books. I am talking strictly on a content basis. However, I will agree that they suck because there are no passages. The online access is extremely helpful.