Are there 6 year BSc/MD programs in the US or Canada?

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am just wondering if there are programs like that in the US or Canada...after reading a lot of info regarding IMG's I'm a bit hesitant to go abroad for med school now...I still have till August to apply to a Romanian medical school. If there are any in the US, as I Canadian citizen/permanent resident, how hard is it for me to get a student visa?

So I was wondering if there are programs like that in Canada or even in the US. I'm in grade 12 and will finish high school in June...I was wondering if these programs don't require advanced math. I want to avoid math so that's one reason I was considering going abroad. If I apply to a university here I would need advanced math + calculus which I really don't want to take. My strongest subjects are science.

thanks for any info....

Members don't see this ad.

The only 6 year combined BS/MD program I'm aware of is the one at UMKC (Missouri - Kansas City). I don't know if they're still accepting applications for next year or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa whoa whoa, trust me, you don't want to go to Romania of all places (it is not that lovely an area, by the way) JUST to avoid calculus. That's crazy talk! Look into US BS/MD programs if you're so set on going the accelerated route, otherwise, go to college! Apply to med school after college! Trust me, you would regret going to Romania for med school and then having to come back to the US a foreign medical grad just because you were afraid of taking a semester of college math.

Apparently my brain was on autopilot while reading your post. Do not, under any circumstances, get a foreign medical degree to avoid taking math classes. That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Most U.S. schools only require Calc 1, like Thrombomodulin said. Suffering through that class is far, far better than inviting the huge disadvantages FMG's face.

I am still wondering why a high school student would consider applying to medical school? :confused:

In most countries outside the US, kids go to 6 or 7 year medical programs straight out of High School. So, in theory, you can get into med school straight out of high school if you go abroad. However, this is generally considered to be a poor plan.

Yes, Thrombom...thats what it is.

Well to be honest I SUCK at math. I struggled in grade 11 university level math last year and was relieved to find out that theres a school that doesn't require grade 12 advanced math lol

It might sound stupid I know but I guess I got carried away by the excitement you know. My friend came here for the summer and recommended the school to me (hes also a Canadian citizen)...

So now I'm confused....I can apply to that school this August OR go the community college route..

But isn't it true that IMG's get matched faster in US residency programs?

What about Caribbean medical schools? The big 4? if someone graduates from there are they considered an IMG?

I really don't want to go to a university for my undergrad here because the only thing holding me back is grade 12 advanced math + calculus but everything else is good. I just hate math and would do anything to avoid it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am just wondering if there are programs like that in the US or Canada...after reading a lot of info regarding IMG's I'm a bit hesitant to go abroad for med school now...I still have till August to apply to a Romanian medical school. If there are any in the US, as I Canadian citizen/permanent resident, how hard is it for me to get a student visa?

So I was wondering if there are programs like that in Canada or even in the US. I'm in grade 12 and will finish high school in June...I was wondering if these programs don't require advanced math. I want to avoid math so that's one reason I was considering going abroad. If I apply to a university here I would need advanced math + calculus which I really don't want to take. My strongest subjects are science.

thanks for any info....

You are ****ed if you apply to those 6 years BS/MD programs in the U.S if you don't have a U.S green card.

You are also ****ed if you go to Carib med schools for pre-med.

You are again ****ed if you go to a Ramanian med school.

So don't get ****ed and do your premed in Canada.

Also, check out Canadian pre-med info at http://premed101.com/forums/

My 0.02$

Yes, Thrombom...thats what it is.

Well to be honest I SUCK at math. I struggled in grade 11 university level math last year and was relieved to find out that theres a school that doesn't require grade 12 advanced math lol

It might sound stupid I know but I guess I got carried away by the excitement you know. My friend came here for the summer and recommended the school to me (hes also a Canadian citizen)...

So now I'm confused....I can apply to that school this August OR go the community college route..

But isn't it true that IMG's get matched faster in US residency programs?

This might be one of those "suck it up" cases, I'm afraid.

If you want to practice in the US, your number 1 best option is to go to medical school here. Period. There is not a soul out there who would disagree with me (and if they do, they're wrong). Whether you're a foreign grad who went to med school in Australia, the Caribbean, India, Romania, or anywhere else in the world doesn't matter: you're a foreign grad. Some might argue that the Big 4 might have a slight leg up to some of the European/Asian med schools simply because they're somewhat better known here, but that's another argument. Either way, if you go to the Caribbean, you're committing yourself to years of living in extremely substandard conditions, a lot of trouble with clinical experiences third year (if you make it that far- there is HUGE attrition down there and a relatively small percentage actually make it to third year) and then a struggle to get a decent, non-primary care residency when you graduate. The Caribbean should be your LAST option in case EVERYTHING else doesn't work- meaning you've applied to US-MD and DO at least once, have done whatever you can to improve your app and applied again, and you STILL haven't gotten in. It's definitely not something you should be planning on doing when you're still in high school.

The BEST option is to stay in the US or Canada, go to a 4-year college, and apply to med school. Look, I wasn't great at math either. I went as far as pre-calc in high school and stopped there. In college, I took the most basic calc 1 and didn't exactly rock it. But I got through it. And so will you. If you go to community college, do some basic remedial math there and build up a good foundation, then take calc.

I concur with whomever said that you need to start getting used to not taking shortcuts, because there aren't any in this process. Any shortcut you come up with will only make your life way, way, WAY harder in the long-term, and trust me, you'll HATE yourself if you get to age 22 and you're in some high-attrition program in a third world country looking forward to struggling for any residency option you might have (incidentally, with more med schools opening up here in the next few years, by the time you're applying to residency, there will be WAY fewer spots for FMG's, since the US medical system is trying to make sure absolutely no FMG's can become residents)-- all because you were afraid of taking math when you were 17. DO NOT do that. If you're serious about medicine, then suck it up.

Calculus isn't a requirement at all medical schools. I doubt it's even a requirement at most. Before posting this, I checked four schools' requirements and none required it. All asked for college algebra, and two or three also wanted a statistics course.

Your options will be slightly more limited without calculus, but it's not the killing blow everyone else seems to be making it out to be.

You also don't need calculus to graduate from a four year degree, unless you choose a program that requires it. You will have to attend a university eventually, though, even if you do start at a community college.

Apparently my brain was on autopilot while reading your post. Do not, under any circumstances, get a foreign medical degree to avoid taking math classes. That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Most U.S. schools only require Calc 1, like Thrombomodulin said. Suffering through that class is far, far better than inviting the huge disadvantages FMG's face.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Seriously, it's like 3 classes at most. You might have to put more effort in than some people but it really isn't anything that you can't do if you want to make it to/through med school.

oh wow...I'll definitely cancel my plans to Romania now..can't we take something other than Biology in university? Like maybe anthropology or psychology and apply to medical school?

oh wow...I'll definitely cancel my plans to Romania now..can't we take something other than Biology in university? Like maybe anthropology or psychology and apply to medical school?
You can major in anything and apply to medical school. Just make sure you've taken all of the prerequisites.

The only 6 year combined BS/MD program I'm aware of is the one at UMKC (Missouri - Kansas City). I don't know if they're still accepting applications for next year or not.

There is also one at NEOUCOM (Northeast Ohio Universities College of Medicine).

There is NEOUCOM, UMKC, Penn State/Jefferson, University of Florida one, and maybe another. But your in grade 12 and Im pretty sure the deadlines for all these programs are up :/.

What about Caribbean medical schools? The big 4? if someone graduates from there are they considered an IMG?

I really don't want to go to a university for my undergrad here because the only thing holding me back is grade 12 advanced math + calculus but everything else is good. I just hate math and would do anything to avoid it lol

You are looking at this the wrong way. Med school is hard. You are better off only doing it after you have defeated your academic demons. Meaning if you are too afraid of a math class that you'd be willing to go overseas to circumvent it, then I suggest you aren't ready for med school yet. The short answer to your question here is that if you plan to practice in the US, your best options will result if you attend med school in the US. Folks who go to school offshore close all sorts of doors. They are stuck taking the least desirable residency slots of the least competitive specialties. So you only do this as a last resort -- you don't do it at the onset.

From your post it's pretty clear you need more seasoning, not less before you are ready to tackle the stresses of med school. So I'd suggest a 4 year university where you absolutely should take the necessary math courses (get a tutor and use office hours, but conquer this demon). And then apply to a 4 year medical school. There is no good reason to rush, and from your post you really are the type of person for which rushing is not going to be a good idea. You don't climb a mountain by trying to go around it.

I think the majority of students are better off taking the traditional route. Pick a great 4 year undergrad that you love...go there and be happy.

at the very most I guess do a combined 8 year program. these accelerated programs are not going to let you live up to your full potential.

Just made me lol that OP hates math so much he is willing to go halfway around the world to avoid it. :laugh:

It's ok, I'm not too fond of it either but I'm gonna try to work through it :)

+1 to the huge disadvantages you'll have with a Romanian medical degree if you want to practice in the US.

One of my good friends from high school went to NEOUCOM (North Eastern Ohio University College of Medicine) straight out of high school. I believe she had the option to get a BS and then an MD in as little as 5 years if she did classes all summer.