Are there any female mormon predents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, I see this going in weird places so I (as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints) would like to give this answer coming directly from the official church website. I invite all with other questions to check it out. www.lds.org

Question:
What is the Church’s position on polygamy?

Answer:
In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage:
"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."

At various times, the Lord has commanded His people to practice plural marriage. For example, He gave this command to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, and Solomon (Doctrine and Covenants 132:1).

In this dispensation, the Lord commanded some of the early Saints to practice plural marriage. The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood. In 1890, President Wilford Woodruff received a revelation that the leaders of the Church should cease teaching the practice of plural marriage (Official Declaration 1).

Sorry for the long post but I hate to have misconceptions floating around out there about us. :)
It's common sense not to married someone young enough to be your daughter. A early 40 year-OLD man married a 16 or 14 young girl is sick.

Members don't see this ad.

that girl who plays Izzy in Greys Anatomy is mormon..and she is FOINE!!!!..just my opinion..continue w/ the discussion

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but she's missing tooth number 10. Looks like she had ortho to close the gap so #11 is in it's place.

TheRock-KatherineHeigl-TCA2003-05.jpg

I go to Brigham Young University and I've personally known one mormon girl who is going to dental school at Arizona this year. another girl was actually the vice president of the predental club last year, and I'm pretty sure she's at dental school now too cuz i don't see her anymore. so, there's at least two for you :oops:

and katherine heigl is not mormon. but she is hella fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Brigham Young University and I've personally known one mormon girl who is going to dental school at Arizona this year. another girl was actually the vice president of the predental club last year, and I'm pretty sure she's at dental school now too cuz i don't see her anymore. so, there's at least two for you :oops:

and katherine heigl is not mormon. but she is hella fine.

is eleminopee a singing group?

I guess they're all studying right now.:laugh:

I think that most Mormon women would have a difficult time holding down a full time position secondary to their beliefs that having large families is a good thing. It is probably hard to do both.

I think that most Mormon women would have a difficult time holding down a full time position secondary to their beliefs that having large families is a good thing. It is probably hard to do both.

Just as it would be for any woman who has a large family. But get this: not all Mormons have lots of kids. Some don't have any.

This thread is pathetic. If you want to perpetuate stereotypes and show the world how ignorant you are, why stop with Mormons? How about a thread to discuss why Mexican dental students are so lazy? What about those stingy Jews? Crack-baby blacks? Catholic pedophiles?

Reactions: 1 user
Just as it would be for any woman who has a large family. But get this: not all Mormons have lots of kids. Some don't have any.

This thread is pathetic. If you want to perpetuate stereotypes and show the world how ignorant you are, why stop with Mormons? How about a thread to discuss why Mexican dental students are so lazy? What about those stingy Jews? Crack-baby blacks? Catholic pedophiles?

Seriously

Your right, not all Mormons have large families. BUT most do and for most Mormon women holding down a full time job and following their beliefs is a very difficult thing to do. So, the person you quoted is not perpetuating stereo-types, but simply stating the facts about the Mormon faith. Us Mormons believe that we should have large families. You cannont refute that statement. It is our doctrine. Every prophet from Joseph Smith has taught this.

The examples you listed are all opinions that somebody may or may not have about those groups you listed. The person you quoted listed a doctrine of THE Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There is a big difference between the two.

You are right. Let us start a thread regarding whether or not Vulcan women would make good dentists. Besides being logical, the Vulcan women know how to administer their own anesthetics via the Vulcan neck pinch, and they are able to use disruptors, phasers, etc.. No stereotype responses please.

Your right, not all Mormons have large families. BUT most do and for most Mormon women holding down a full time job and following their beliefs is a very difficult thing to do. So, the person you quoted is not perpetuating stereo-types, but simply stating the facts about the Mormon faith. Us Mormons believe that we should have large families. You cannont refute that statement. It is our doctrine. Every prophet from Joseph Smith has taught this.

The examples you listed are all opinions that somebody may or may not have about those groups you listed. The person you quoted listed a doctrine of THE Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There is a big difference between the two.

If it's doctrine, as you claim, then show me where in our canonized text that it says mormons are commanded by God to have large families. It's more of a cultural thing than a doctrinal thing.

If it's doctrine, as you claim, then show me where in our canonized text that it says mormons are commanded by God to have large families. It's more of a cultural thing than a doctrinal thing.

There is a book called the Bible. Kind of important. Gen 1:28 "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth."

Due to the integrity of this thread and not wanting it to be shut down, all I will say is this. Every prophet has taught the importance of obeying the above commandment and has gone into great depth to clearly teach the meaning of this commandment. Feel free to pm me or talk to another Member of The Church if you have anymore questions or ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
when will this thread just die?

There is a book called the Bible. Kind of important. Gen 1:28 "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth."

Due to the integrity of this thread and not wanting it to be shut down, all I will say is this. Every prophet has taught the importance of obeying the above commandment and has gone into great depth to clearly teach the meaning of this commandment. Feel free to pm me or talk to another Member of The Church if you have anymore questions or ideas.

Thanks for answering in such a mature manner :thumbdown: I still disagree...that scripture gives a command to have children (which I didn't refute) but it says nothing about large families or having lots of children. I think you are misrepresenting. Now I'll leave it alone so this thread can stay alive.

when will this thread just die?

I am just sick of people slamming our church and misrepresenting our beliefs when someone asks a simple, honest question. I'm not gonna let that go unchallenged. But you are right, we either need to stay on topic or someone needs to shut this thread down. I'll do my part and stop posting...I promise.

so much anger...as far as women Mormon predents go, I think that the majority of women at BYU DO want to have a career of some sort. However, most of them try to go for things that do not have grad school involved in that career. Going to an extra four+ years of school is hard to swallow for anyone, and if you want to start a family early (ie before the age of 25) then you plan your life accordingly. BYU is a breeding ground for marriage. You have ALL (minus 5%) of the male population above freshman status who have spent 2 years in abstinence, they are all 21 when they start school (at least), and the dating scene here is just out of control. Everybody hookin their friends up and scouting out potential matches...People here dont date only for fun...everyone is always sizing up their dates and asking "is this the right one?" So...with this kind of attitude running rampant, most women here are busy dating, getting their degree, and planning their career as a teacher or nurse or in business. I know i may be overgeneralizing things...but not really. So maybe now you can see why there's not many mormon women in dental school. Oh yeah...the science classes here are very competitive...it is hard for anyone to keep motivated to keep going on. If you had been brought up to have strong inclinations towards starting a family young and raising your children actively...would you have the motivation to stay in Biochem with Dr. Graves? and most dont. Even if they do press on, i would say that they are doing it b/c they enjoy it and are good at it. Professional school is sorta the plan B for chicks who make it out of the gauntlet single and motivated. Sadly, I think a lot of girls here sell themselves short because of the culture of marrying young. A lot of girls here think that 24 year olds are old maids and that the have st wrong emotionally or st. SO...disagree with me...but this is the reality for most women here at BYU. My wife graduated in nutrition...she took biochem...she agrees w this whole schpeil.

I think it is time for all of us non Mormons to exit this thread!

How about a thread to discuss why Mexican dental students are so lazy? What about those stingy Jews? Crack-baby blacks? Catholic pedophiles?

A mexican dental student walks into a bar with a .......

I just talked to a man last night whose daughter is LDS (Mormon), is single, and attends the dental school in San Antonio, Texas. So there's one!

I'm actually female, and LDS, and pre-dent.

I'm also Korean-American, happily married to the man of my dreams (who is also in BYU's accounting program), I am the only wife he will ever have, and I WILL finish undergrad at BYU. And dental school :)

I'm actually female, and LDS, and pre-dent.

I'm also Korean-American, happily married to the man of my dreams (who is also in BYU's accounting program), I am the only wife he will ever have, and I WILL finish undergrad at BYU. And dental school :)

Congrats.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but, in response to your post and the original OPs question, the class of 2015 at IUSD has a female LDS (who I think got her degree in accounting?)

Congrats.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but, in response to your post and the original OPs question, the class of 2015 at IUSD has a female LDS (who I think got her degree in accounting?)

While there are none in my class (2014 at Midwestern) there are 2 or 3 in the 2015 class.

I have known a couple lds women that have gone into dentistry. It is actually a great career for women who want to raise a family and make a good income.

Also, getting married at a young age is very typical in mormon culture. But this doesn't have to affect the level of education. Some people just have different priorities. For some mormon girls it is starting a family, some education, and some career development.

For example, my wife and i are mormon, and have been married for 3 years. We made both of our educations a priority. My wife will finish up her Masters in May and i have been nothing but supportive. Just depends on life goals and priorities. Is having children bad? Developing a career? Or gaining mor education? No! They are all good choices, but some have a stronger conviction of one more than another. Just so happens that many lds women want to start a family right away, which in turn usually cuts education short.

Just to buck a few stereotypes...

I come from a Mormon family...

1) I only have 3 siblings (not that many in my opinion).
2) My mom has a B.S.
3) My sister has (2) B.S. degrees
4) My wife has (2) B.S. degrees and makes way more money than I've ever made.
5) My wife's family only has three kids.
6) My sister-in-law has a B.S. and an M.S.
7) My wife and I have two kids, and we are done having kids.
8) My brother and his wife have 3 kids and his wife just got her tubes tied.
9) I saw some polygamists once, and I was just as surprised as anyone else and had to call my friend to tell him. I've never known one, never talked to one, and only seen them once.

Oh yeah - and there is a Mormon girl in my dental class.

Last edited:
I am a mormon female predent. And I am one of the few that I know of, but I do know of several that are premed.

Interesting, she is missing tooth #10

Now let's not all get worked up. Live your life the way you decide to live it. Remember to "love your neighbor" :)

I would also like to buck a stereotype. I'm LDS, and I always cheer against BYU.

I'll probably stir up a storm from all the BYU alums on here, but GO BSU!

I think the reason few Mormon women go to dental school is that the Mormon church heavily pushes gender roles - women have kids and are the nurturers, men are the breadwinners. They're taught that growing up and it shows in the statistics.

Also, polygamy is very much a part of Mormon doctrine and is in the Mormon scriptures. The church would still be practicing polygamy today but it was shut down by the federal government in the 1890s. They do believe polygamy will be practiced in heaven, or at some point in the future again. The founder and prophet Joseph Smith practiced polygamy quite heavily and so did later church prophets. https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

Last edited:
Francis2010, I guess you haven't read "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" released by the Mormon church as divinely inspired doctrine of God through Mormon prophets which states, "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation This is official church doctrine and teachings.

Mormon families are counseled by church leaders to obtain a copy of this document and have it framed and hung in their house.

I am a practicing member of the LDS (Mormon) church, by the way. I've noticed many Mormons, have very little understanding of church doctrine/history/practice and will ignore doctrine that becomes inconvenient or is no longer socially acceptable. I'm not saying I agree with this, but I can't deny that it hasn't been taught heavily in LDS General Conference by church leaders.

You can also read the end of Doctrine and Covenants Section 132, which explains how men can properly practice polygamy. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132 specifically verses 61-66

It's not right to hide inconvenient truths from individuals learning about/investigating the church.

If you'd like, I'd be than happy to provide more information on this or other topics you may be confused about.

Last edited:
I understand your reaction Francis2010, it is quite disturbing and a little bit troubling you didn't know this before as a member - although when you mention your different perspective based on a different course of study, I'm curious to know what you've been studying? Everything I sourced was from the lds.org website and is Mormon doctrine - I invite everyone to see for themselves. Like I said, there are a lot of inconvenient truths in the church that the members either in ignorance ignore or in an attempt to protect the image of the church intentionally don't tell those who are investigating.

All I did was post links to the official church website. Everyone is welcome to investigate those links and find out for themselves.

It it funny seeing the above comments of other fellow Mormons who are clearly embarrassed by the church history/doctrine and are trying to provide half-truths to make the Mormon church look more socially acceptable. Mormons really need to read up on what they believe and gain an actual understanding of what they've committed themselves to.

This is your church, its doctrine and teachings. Stop making excuses and hiding facts from others, don't be ashamed, own it.

Best wishes

Last edited: