Are There Any Indians Out There? Please Respond To This Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My advice: grow some grapefruits.

Members don't see this ad.

damn did i really sound like that much of a fruit!!

MD Rapper said:
Lol...Hey man! I hear what you're saying.. maybe I just need to stop thinking about stupid **** like that so much... thanks for the response.. hey, I've seen you on a lot of forums, you always have good responses for people... hope all is well man

lol, I guess I spend a lot of time here .
Besides, I am very familiar with second gen. Indian American issues as I have lots of relatives here.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are enough Indians in the medical field....trust me on this. I don't know the numbers or the figures but it's enough people so that Indians are no longer URMs.

ranjitha_rai said:
im a dentist from india here to get my dds if the count is still on

No that doesn't count, get the hel out of here :mad:

Just kidding :laugh:

MD Rapper said:
How is everyone doing?

For the count...

I'm a 22 yo pre-med who just graduated from USC in southern california. I'm currently applying... I had a question for anyone who would like to respond...

As an Indian pre-med, it is often very difficult to maintain your own identity. What I mean is... I am automatically labeled as another "Indian doctor." But in reality, I have a lot of different motivations for selecting my career choice and I hate to be stereotyped as choosing something just because "I'm supposed to." Has anybody else overcome this... meaning.... what do u all do to maintain a unique identity aside from your career... lol.. maybe this is just an issue for the ABCDs!

Thanks everyone and hooray for this forum

Indians do get stereotyped today ( A LOT!). Sometimes, people have their own identities and some of these identities that they choose often puts them in a position where they would not like to be stereotyped as another "indian doctor." "Indian-doctor" stereotypes (usually negative) does affect many people even though they might be very proud of their culture. MD Rapper, I dont think it's an issue for ABCDs but I think stereotypes affect every race, creed and color. It sucks but hey..sometimes, you gotta rise above it. I constantly go through the delimma(especially when I experience somethign new), but realize this, no matter "what" you are, you'll have this delimma. (Hopefully, I made some sense :cool: )

I knew that Indian Doctors are sterotyped a lot but I always thought that it was a positive sterotype and not a negative one... I guess maybe it depends on where in america we are talking about. :confused:

I am from Visakhapatnam (Vizag) in Andhra Pradesh. Lived there till I was 13 and then moved to NYC.
Can't complain much about desi stereotypes, especially the "Indian Doctor" one. In the beginning, every party I was at was full of burgeoning aspiring doctors. But now, I think I've developed immunity. Mostly by just staying away from ppl who start that conversation :) We are gonna be doing this for the REST of our lives, theres no need to spoil a good party by talking about premed/med school/residencies/fellowships......a never ending list.

I do have one quibble though. It seems ironic but even though NYC is a pretty big melting pot, I have yet to meet ppl who speak telugu. Only have 3 good desi buddies and they are all from the north. Nightlife in NYC is a blast and I make it a point to go out whenever I can, but I think it'd be even more cool if there were ppl rapping in a club in telugu...

ANYONE HERE SPEAK TELUGU????

P.S. I do have to say though, the dearth is definitely made up by the multitude of stunningly good looking desi girls in NYC.

How many of u were pushed or encouraged to go into medicine? I know i was starting at a very young age.

is the count still on? i'm also indian born and raised in the states!! :)
is there anyone out there who's not a dr...or planning to be one? i have a MPH....no desire to become a physician. and even though i'm an indian-american ...i'm still very interested in public health issues affecting indians...especially those in india.

apgmph said:
is the count still on? i'm also indian born and raised in the states!! :)
is there anyone out there who's not a dr...or planning to be one? i have a MPH....no desire to become a physician. and even though i'm an indian-american ...i'm still very interested in public health issues affecting indians...especially those in india.

We need more people like you. Thanks :thumbup:

Actually i m interested in international med, maybe working in india or africa. But i am planning to go to med school first.

NRAI2001 said:
Actually i m interested in international med, maybe working in india or africa. But i am planning to go to med school first.

Good luck. I plan on getting MD first, making some money and establishing good contacts to help out in the best possible way like some of the Indian Americans :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
Good luck. I plan on getting MD first, making some money and establishing good contacts to help out in the best possible way like some of the Indian Americans :D

good thoughts there :thumbup:

:)
Another Desi Wannabe Doc Here!

add another brownie to the mix, beta

lot of Indian premeds here..good luck you all. :thumbup:

This one goes out to all my puri and paneer eating friends, WOOT WOOT.

Just kidding, anyway, thought I'd add to this post. I'm currently an undergraduate student in Texas applying to medical school. Heck, if I don't get in this time around...I'm going straight to India to travel for a year.

Best,
CaptainMonkey

"add another brownie to the mix, beta"

haha, that was hilarious. You know, now that we're going to be doctors, better get ready for those indian aunties and their damn pickup lines...
"doctor eh? hello beta, can I have your biodata?"

CaptainMonkey said:
"
"doctor eh? hello beta, can I have your biodata?"

that doesn't sound great..kinda scary.

that's not good for the community as a whole.

So throw that "I am a doctor" attitude out of the window Illinois boy

I am just picking on you BTW :laugh: :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
that's not good for the community as a whole.

So throw that "I am a doctor" attitude out of the window Illinois boy

I am just picking on you BTW :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, I m not a doctor.:D Will have to wait a year b4 I can say that I m in med school and 5 years b4 I can say I m a doctor.

My parent's are from India. This is the first time I've been to the Int Forums area. I usually lurk around the Everyone Forum and Pre-Allo.

Spartacus said:
My parent's are from India. This is the first time I've been to the Int Forums area. I usually lurk around the Everyone Forum and Pre-Allo.

Welcome :D

Hello there! This is my first time here, I know most of the students here are from the US, but anyways...thought i'd say hi to everyone, and see if there were any med students here from the UK?! I'm Indian too btw...been in the UK most of my life, just finished first year at a UK medical school...its gone by so fast! cant believe im starting second year already in sept! :D
Anyways, I better go, but lookin forward to hearing from you guys soon!

:) :D :) :D

tansb said:
Hello there! This is my first time here, I know most of the students here are from the US, but anyways...thought i'd say hi to everyone, and see if there were any med students here from the UK?! I'm Indian too btw...been in the UK most of my life, just finished first year at a UK medical school...its gone by so fast! cant believe im starting second year already in sept! :D
Anyways, I better go, but lookin forward to hearing from you guys soon!

:) :D :) :D

I m planning to be in UK next spring for study abroad, if admission process gets over by then. (Fingers crossed).

IllinoisStudent said:
I m planning to be in UK next spring for study abroad, if admission process gets over by then. (Fingers crossed).

Thats cool, which part of the UK are you hoping to go to? Is it for an elective type thing? We get to go on an elective for 6 weeks at the end of yr 3...

Thanks for the info, Premedtomed. Btw, how do people know I m a male. I don't think I mentioned it anywhere.

IllinoisStudent said:
Thanks for the info, Premedtomed. Btw, how do people know I m a male. I don't think I mentioned it anywhere.

Hey dude, remember the Indian women thread where you said you listen to rap but don't sag/pull your pants down - that's a guy thing.

right..good point. I was trying to be anonymous. Well..screw it. There is no point in hiding.

I am Indian, male, from Illinois, applying to med school, a lil liberal. Thats all I have given out so far.

IllinoisStudent said:
right..good point. I was trying to be anonymous. Well..screw it. There is no point in hiding.

I am Indian, male, from Illinois, applying to med school, a lil liberal. Thats all I have given out so far.

What up :cool:

It is kind of neat to know that people raised here in the US are cool enough to talk with ppl. like me.

Any back stabbing yet? (by "fellow" indians who claim to be OH SO VERY "pro" desi..")

Since all the American desis I have encountered LOVE to backstab (and if you think I am some deranged/disgrunteled/IRRATIONAL person, go look at my other posts)

I used to be naive when I first came to US when I was 8. Throughout my adolescence and teenage years, I wanted to be with my people, until I realzied that it was my "own people" who love to backstab us.

Now, I am not a big fan of ABCDs. It's pathetic, actually.

All the other races look out for each other, and then there is us! (can you imagine--my "personal wish"--if we had the same "brotherhood" as the Jews, the blacks, and the hispanics!!)

My mom was an IMG, and when she passed her boards, she applied for a peds spot at SUNY (for privacy, I will not mention which one). The person interviewing her was a fellow desi, and my mom (fresh from India) was happy that someone that she can relate to was interviewing her too. The person tells my mom not to worry and that he/she (privacy...again) will take care of everything and gave her a good morale boosting. Although she was eventually accepted into the residency, she came to find out from a few other residents and attendings that it was the "fellow desi" that openly criticized her during the selections and blatantly told the PD NOT to accept her!! she found this out when for some odd reason, she kept on getting bad evals from 1 member of the staff (who was this guy) while getting awesome evals from the other staff.

My mother is an Associate Professor of Medicine and has published over 100 articles!! So, guess who's laughing now!?!

YOU TELL ME.....WOULD YOU TRUST "US" IF YOU WERE ME (or my mom...or my dad, for whom I have a few stories also)

And lastly, the funny thing I have seen is that the richer the ABCD, the more they love to backstab!!!

But there is some light at the end of the tunnel....I have become more cautious about trusting "us" anymore...so has my family...and I HAVE 100X MORE RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FOR THE DESI IMG, who is coming to America "bright-eyed" and eager, just like my mom was a few decades ago!

The desi IMG still loves his/her people.

I wish the same could be said about the American desis!!!!!!

medlaw06 said:
Any back stabbing yet? (by "fellow" indians who claim to be OH SO VERY "pro" desi..")

holy sh**!! i don't know what stick you have up your *ss...but i am one of those "american desi's"....born and raised and damn proud of it. you can't judge the entire "desi" population based on one SOB. people like that are found in every race/ethnicity/culture. sure i agree that there are some indians that take their money and so called power and use it for no good...but i do believe you would find that in india as well!...and in any other culture! from my experience...in general, my fellow "desi's" do look out for each other. you should be proud of your heritage no matter what. and this comes from an american who's proud to be a straight up desi!!

I totally agree with apgmph. Taking one isolated incident and generalizing it to the whole population of "american desis" is really childish and naive.

medlaw06 dude just chill out
There are several such cases I am an Indian born desi who came here at the age of 16. My cousins took great care of me although two of them loved to ridicule India / Indian stuff - it's their problem anyways .

Yes I have known quite a few desis who are ego maniacs and extremely silly/crazy money minded.
There was this family from England at my cousin's wedding their English born sons were pretty cool and the ABCDs are generally cool as persons- they might not like Indian crap but will never backstab you.

this mom, dad was also cool had an ego thing when we went in a cab to some place and the guy was a Sri Lankan and asked the mom-dad duo where we were from and they said England and I kept quiet for some reason - coz he went on talking about his stuff and the mom was like "he (the cab driver) thinks he (I ) is from "England" as well" :laugh:

really ****ty mentality - what can one do there is this case of my friend's dad whose brother is a big rich doctor married to a white woman and refused help his brother out! THis guy came to the US just like us i.e. my family :eek:
Luckiliy my relatives have been great. Otherwise I'd have been in the same
situation as yours
Just take it easy dude ;)

Premedtomed said:
Otherwise I'd have been in the same
situation as yours. Just take it easy dude ;)

(interesting you state that... atleast you have some notion of where I am coming from, and not like the other posts who merely go about criticizing without having an ounce of thought or sentiment or even basic understanding of where I am coming from)

To premedtomed and everyone else.

Your opinions mean little to me...to some degree. I have heard the same/similar stuff a thousand times from a thousand different desis....the funny thing is that it is these same desis that gave me this advice that ended up backstabbing me.

I was class president of my med school my 2nd year. the guy that was VP was another desi. The funny thing is that it was me who "nominated" him and got him elected, as he had no interest in "politics" but he had tremedous potential as someone who can help the student body (and part of it was desi pride in that I wanted another person who was desi in there with me--> so to those who think that I am some anti-desi person, NOT TRUE!!!). The funny thing is that he was the person who went behind my back and nominated someone else, WHOM I DESPISED, and went on to tell others NOT to vote for me, just so the other person can get the position.

I REALIZE 100% that what I just said seems like a bad episode of some cheesy, day-time soap opera. However, it was stated just to illustrate yet another example of the backstabbing that CAN (and in my opinion, happens more often than not) occur.

I WANT ANYONE READING THIS TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION BEFORE YOU GO ABOUT BARRAGING LIKE A HEADLESS ("thoughtless") chicken:

WOULD YOU TRUST "US" IF YOU WERE ME (or my mom...or my dad, for whom I have a few stories also)?

(to those who do not know what I am referring to, please read my previous post for which I am getting the criticisms for)

I realize that it was just one person. I do have SOME (at the very least) common sense. If I didn't have some, I wouldn't be where I am in life now! I know that it is 1 person, BUT IT'S NOT!!

How come I have encountered repeated instances such as this!

In any case, my fiancee is desi. I speak fluent hindi and pretty good guju (even though I am not guju). I have not lost touch with any of my previous cultures and values.

AND I LOOK OUT FOR MY FELLOW DESIs....even ABCD....by the way, it's not the "A" or "B" or "D" that bothers me....it's the "C" part....I am sick and tired of seeing all these "desis" who claim that they are desis, but are nothing more than a coconut!!

And on a final note....

IN MANY WAYS, I WAS GLAD TO SEE SUCH A VEHEMENT REACTION AGAINST WHAT I HAD PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN....it shows to me that there ARE true desis that are out there who ARE ABD (no "C" since there is no confusion).

I wish there were MORE of people like you. If I had encountered people like you before, I wouldn't say the things I say and wouldn't get upset. :mad: :mad: :mad:

However, you have to admit one thing:

the jews, blacks, aand hispanics "look out" for each other MORE than desis!!

(that point is something that I refuse to budge on...look at the way AA is killing the indian population in medical school, and I have ample evidence to prove that!!!) I wish there were more desis that would stand up for their rights in this country.

I am also on the admissions commitee at my medical school and have seen the discrepancies that are occuring in the desi/asian popultion of acceptances vs. the "minorities."

I do NOT want to make this forum into some debate over the pros and cons of AA, but there definitely IS disparate treatment of indian applicants!

The thing that makes me mad (and one of my private wishes is to take this on to the US Supreme Court, IF I end up practicing law...unlikely though) is that it seems to me that the result is due to us being "model minority." WTF is up with that... since when my family came over to America, I doubt that we were sponsored by the KKK!

I wisj more desis would STAND UP for their rights....and if enough do, then my private wish could come into a reality and I would be more than happy to litigate the case! :D :D :D :D

hmmmm..

And I thought only us black people fought like cats and dogs. :oops:

Z zzzzzz....... :sleep:

Long post, man. I see ur point though.

I would love to see desi brotherhood, but it ain't gonna happen.

So don't trust anyone blindly cause he is a desi. That way, u will live a lot happier life, and won't be BSed so much. I have good Indian friends that I can blindly trust. But that trust has developed over time. No trust at first sight (seeing brown).

And Hispanics have even worse backlash against new immigrants. Not so much in African Americans, but they aren't united either. Only Jews stick together. They got enough money to push any polictical agenda they want.

Hey! I'm Indian and I never knew this forum existed. Anyways, I'm 21/m/OR and I start pharmacy school this fall!

OR? I thought I finally learned all the chatting acronyms...maybe not.

chill dude !!
indians are her , but tat doesnt mean they got to stick their heads out yur screen and knock o yu sayin " hey dude indian here!!" anyways why is it tat yu wanted indians??? homesick??? :cool:

Hi friends,

I heard about this forum last week.I found its great.but unable to get inforamtion about the opertunities and procedure for inidan nurses here. I need the inforamtion after passsing the CGFNS exam in India what are the things we have to do get licence here to work as RN. If any body knows about the total procedure plz give me information or suggest me the web site where i can get complete information along with visa things.Thanks.

Hi everyone, just randomly saw this thread and thought i'd chime in, i'm indian, in CA...doing ophthalmology. Cheers...have a great day!

Light said:
Hi everyone, just randomly saw this thread and thought i'd chime in, i'm indian, in CA...doing ophthalmology. Cheers...have a great day!
welcome..........graet u decided to chime in............wish u all light and luck..... :luck:

Whoever was bizznitching about 'Indian's born in America' are 'backstabbing' etc., doesnt really seem to be 'socialized' too well. The social dynamics that this person mentions are seen in every ETHNIC group, however you will find a more insidious (hidden, not exposed, slow onset, creeps up on ya from nowhere) form of it in the WASPs. Dude you need to live a little. Sorry for being judgemental and presumptive but you opened the door chief. Every culture/ethnicity has their backstabbers etc and every ethnicity has their racists etc too. These are just facts of life. Indians in India are either very nice, or not. In the end, be nice and get nice back (if ya want/need it).
Cheers