Are there any medical schools (M.D.) with a bad reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input?
I heard somewhere that Rosalind Franklin does...

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about US MD schools then none.

In fact the only US med school (MD and DO) that has a bad repuation is Rocky Vista (a DO school in Colorado)

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard some sketchy stuff about Touro... not that they have a bad reputation as a school but that they have had conflicts with students over financial aid.

Rosalind Franklin has a great reputation... You may be mistaking a "bad rep" with the fact that they don't technically have a university hospital. Rosalind Franklin is actually the most represented medical school at the hospital I used to work at in SoCal, with each doctor in question coming from very highly-regarded residencies.

As others have already said - no, all accredited LCME allopathic med schools will give you great education and put you in place to match well.

Rumors you may hear about Rosalind Franklin and George Washington have to do with being put on 'probation' by LCME. Neither affected the students. They both had to do with stupid paperwork and minor details (like student study space). Both corrected the issues and were reinstated. Neither had anything to do with the quality of education at the schools.

really? I honestly just wanna go check it out, because on the outside it looks like the last Sh** I took.

:laugh: wow really the last **** you took - cannot stop laughing

really? I honestly just wanna go check it out, because on the outside it looks like the last Sh** I took.

God damn....why in the hell would you EVER put that as your front page shot of your main campus building. Glad I didnt go to that interview I probably would have not even made it inside.

God damn....why in the hell would you EVER put that as your front page shot of your main campus building. Glad I didnt go to that interview I probably would have not even made it inside.

I'm sure ppl on their interview day were contemplating if it's med school or hostel...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Website says: "Located in the vibrant Harlem neighborhood"
:laugh: That's really sugarcoating it

Based on a follow up study of graduating physicians from allopathic schools, Howard and Meharry medical schools in USA are known to provide substandard education and inadequate clinical trainings.

There was a article on it not too long ago on the Hartford Courant. Not sure the quality of these schools today.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/937810/posts

"Med Schools: Four That Flunk June 29, 2003 By JACK DOLAN And ANDREW JULIEN, Courant Staff Writers

Idaho regulators investigating complaints involving 12 patients revoked Dr. Brent E. Woodfield's license after concluding that he didn't understand "the basic principles of the practice of medicine."
For Dr. Anacleto Capua, accused of misdiagnosing fatal conditions in three patients, refresher medical courses were recommended by Florida authorities concerned about his medical skills.
Hitting the books might have helped Dr. Narpat Panwar, who flunked the U.S. medical licensing exam seven times before passing - only to be accused later in New York of botching a childbirth so badly the newborn suffered brain damage.
Besides a slippery grasp of the basics, these physicians share another bond: They graduated from a handful of medical schools that produce troubled doctors at about 10 times the rate of the best schools, an eight-month Hartford Courant investigation has found. The schools - the Autonomous University of Guadalajara in Mexico, Howard University in Washington, Manila Central University in the Philippines and Meharry Medical College in Nashville - ranked at the bottom in separate analyses of three databases containing records of disciplinary actions against thousands of physicians across the United States."

Based on a follow up study of graduating physicians from allopathic schools, Howard and Meharry medical schools in USA are known to provide substandard education and inadequate clinical trainings.

There was a article on it not too long ago on the Hartford Courant. Not sure the quality of these schools today.

"Med Schools: Four That Flunk June 29, 2003 By JACK DOLAN And ANDREW JULIEN, Courant Staff Writers

Idaho regulators investigating complaints involving 12 patients revoked Dr. Brent E. Woodfield's license after concluding that he didn't understand "the basic principles of the practice of medicine."
For Dr. Anacleto Capua, accused of misdiagnosing fatal conditions in three patients, refresher medical courses were recommended by Florida authorities concerned about his medical skills.
Hitting the books might have helped Dr. Narpat Panwar, who flunked the U.S. medical licensing exam seven times before passing - only to be accused later in New York of botching a childbirth so badly the newborn suffered brain damage.
Besides a slippery grasp of the basics, these physicians share another bond: They graduated from a handful of medical schools that produce troubled doctors at about 10 times the rate of the best schools, an eight-month Hartford Courant investigation has found. The schools - the Autonomous University of Guadalajara in Mexico, Howard University in Washington, Manila Central University in the Philippines and Meharry Medical College in Nashville - ranked at the bottom in separate analyses of three databases containing records of disciplinary actions against thousands of physicians across the United States."

When does personal responsibility come into play?

The most important part of that article:

The newspaper's findings drew a sharp response from the head of the trade group representing U.S. medical schools, who said it was impossible to pin the performance of physicians on the schools they graduated from because too many other variables determine success or failure.

"I think it's kind of an irrational approach to analyzing a very complex set of issues," said Dr. Jordan Cohen, president of the American Association of Medical Colleges, who also characterized the effort as "simplistic" and "foolish."

"I don't think there are any bad medical schools" in the United States, Cohen said. "That's a null set."

I was about to write that when I saw the full article and found they already covered it. You can't draw numbers of bad outcomes/failed scores and retrospectively try to pin it on a particular source. You are just as likely to find that those docs all owned dogs or went to elementary schools beginning with G. Its just bad statistics.

The most important part of that article:

I was about to write that when I saw the full article and found they already covered it. You can't draw numbers of bad outcomes/failed scores and retrospectively try to pin it on a particular source. You are just as likely to find that those docs all owned dogs or went to elementary schools beginning with G. Its just bad statistics.

Proper education + adequate clinical training should not produce excessively large number of doctors who "does not understand the basic principles of medicine."

Proper education + adequate clinical training should not produce excessively large number of doctors who "does not understand the basic principles of medicine."

My point is that retrospective numbers that led to sketchy claims in an article does not equal "excessively large number of doctors who do not understand the basic principles of medicine." Its amazing how quickly subtle differences in stats can be made to look like "large numbers." Again, bad science is pretty easy.

I don't trust articles that make grandiose claims without offering any hard numbers and statistics.

There's a Touro i think in new york, it looks like a shack
http://www.touro.edu/med/
You ought to see Touro in California. Driving around there to check it out was downright frightening. I thought I'd been cast in some horror movie, the island was completely dead and we drove through blocks and blocks of empty houses, some rather gutted looking.

I think I'd prefer the shack.

You ought to see Touro in California. Driving around there to check it out was downright frightening. I thought I'd been cast in some horror movie, the island was completely dead and we drove through blocks and blocks of empty houses, some rather gutted looking.

I think I'd prefer the shack.

i gotta check that one out if it's worse then the shack lmao.

Is there a place to find USMLE performance data for these schools?

i gotta check that one out if it's worse then the shack lmao.
I think we went on a Saturday, and it didn't look like anyone lived around the campus. I really was waiting for some crazy dude with an ax to jump out from behind one of the deserted buildings and chase us down the street.

Any input?
I heard somewhere that Rosalind Franklin does...

Look for schools that have lost the accreditation.
Also look for the Residency match percentage of graduates as well as top choice match percentages (although I have been told that they no longer process this information).

Look for schools that have lost the accreditation.

No school in the history of LCME has ever LOST accreditation. 3-4 have been put on probation, all remedied the issues and were reinstated within a year.

Also look for the Residency match percentage of graduates
Most places aren't going to outright state their match rate. Even if they did - it wouldn't mean much. At my school we had 5/120ish that didn't have categorical or advanced programs and had to scramble. They are some of the smartest/highest scoring in the class. They were just overly arrogant and didn't apply to enough places despite the advice they were given. So really the number of people who didn't match says nothing about the quality of education at the school.

as well as top choice match percentages (although I have been told that they no longer process this information).

This is the only thing that is actually valuable. Percent of people that get their top 3 choices. However, as you state most schools don't publish it. Most hit right around 85-90% which is the national average.

Its pretty hard to use a match list to judge a school. Really you would need longitudinal statistics for it to mean anything, and no schools that I know of release that (although most do have them - they use them at my school when they advise us for the match).

No school in the history of LCME has ever LOST accreditation. 3-4 have been put on probation, all remedied the issues and were reinstated within a year.
Apologies, I meant to say probation. Good correction.

One must also look at the social inequalities that may lead to these doctors being under fire. Every student who is granted a degree from a LCME accredited medical institution has passed the same USMLEs as every other medical student in the country. The LCME has very high standards. If Howard and Meharry were not capable of producting competent doctors, they would lose their LCME accreditation.

Isn't there a really old thread on SDN about how Georgetown admissions sucks?

Georgetown (curved grades/competition, hordes of SMPers), SUNY Upstate (uncooperative administration), Howard (clinical sites)

In a previous thread from a couple of months ago, a TouroCOM student wrote something like Martin Luther King Jr. was stabbed in Blumstein's department store, which is now TouroCOM, in 1958..... and this poster also included that he loves the TouroCOM building.

Loving the building that MLK gave speeches at is one thing, but loving the building where MLK was stabbed? Are you serious?! How does that even make sense?!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=826924&page=2

Reactions: 1 user
That's a joke thread started by someone when they were a pre-med who is now nearly done with their residency.

It is a legitimate epic thread started by a premed who had a big problem with Georgetown's admission people years ago.....The rest is pure awesomeness

Eh, I got a friend who goes to Rosalind Franklin. He doesn't complain too much considering it took him 3 cycles to get in.

It is a legitimate epic thread started by a premed who had a big problem with Georgetown's admission people years ago.....The rest is pure awesomeness

But it's become a joke. If it was a serious thread it'd share the same fate as most serious threads on SDN and die.