Are there enough RESIDENCY slots this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

footpodguy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi...from my understanding there are not enought residency programs this year again. Somewhere I read on this forum this exact topic before. I was not able to locate it. My question is why do schools continue to take students when there are not programs for them when they graduate.

I graduated years ago and never pursued this profession. I think it was a bad choice, but that is another topic for debate. I know of collegues that are doing good & those that are doing bad, all pods.

What will be done if there are not enough programs. There are more students then programs...pretty much a known fact.
 
this is what i was told by the graduate medical education department at ocp,

498 position available in 2010
517 students in the class of 2010
-17 whom did not pass boards part I nationwide
but there are 18-20 from the class of 2009 whom did not get a residency last year and also there are some dpms whom have been out for years coming back trying to get spots now
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is what i was told by the graduate medical education department at ocp,

498 position available in 2010
517 students in the class of 2010
-17 whom did not pass boards part I nationwide
but there are 18-20 from the class of 2009 whom did not get a residency last year and also there are some dpms whom have been out for years coming back trying to get spots now

Hi Some of these numbers seem close to what I have heard..over 500 students, under 500 slots.

But, I was not aware that there were close to "20 that did not get a program" last year. Last year when I looked into it I was told there were just a few students not placed & new programs were being made for them...in summary I thought they were all placed.

And yes, there will be other dpm's who be trying to get another postion.


As far as one comment on here..."do not be in the bottom 5% of your class"...... There were many stuents in my class that did not match.
 
Last edited:
As far as one comment on here..."do not be in the bottom 5% of your class"...... There were many stuents in my class that did not match.

that may be, but were they good students as well as good in clinical situations as well as a good people person. I ask because I know grades aren't everything, they have to like your work ethic and see that you can work with their patients! So in essence I agree, you can't just not be in the bottom 5% you have to have the whole package.
 
Last edited:
As far as one comment on here..."do not be in the bottom 5% of your class"...... There were many stuents in my class that did not match.

By "not match" do you mean they are not in a residency program? Or simply that they had to scramble and didn't get one of their top choices? Big difference...

And as for the students who didn't pass part I...there are just as many who haven't/won't pass part II to add to that list.
 
You should look into getting a podology certificate. I heard they have a 100% placement rate for graduating students.
 
what they have told us , the factors in spots are: number of grads nationwide, passing boards part 2 and to a lesser extent, geographic location. the only ones who had to scramble in our school so far were those that did not pass boards part 2. if students retook part 1, but passed part 2 I'm not sure how that impacted their application (if it did).

I haven't heard much on grades. I am assuming that if you know your grades are not stellar, you would only apply to those programs you have a shot at. I'm sure that higher GPA's mean more options, but the GPA's for each school are not the same. A 4.0 in one school may not mean the same in another (if we take the example of comparing undergrad institutions) . If you apply broadly and wisely, and do well in clerkships, I can't see how an avg to slightly above avg student can't match . Or am I missing something?
 
so i did not match this year....
did u hear anything about what is going to be done?
im not sure how many people have not matched...but do u think they will make more spots again and accommodate everyone again this year?
 
so i did not match this year....
did u hear anything about what is going to be done?
im not sure how many people have not matched...but do u think they will make more spots again and accommodate everyone again this year?
I would get on the phone/email/fax and find a spot ASAP.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/2010UnfilledPositions_mlc.pdf

You can't count on more spots next year, and a year off with no income, pod school/clerkship further in the rear view mirror, etc is not attractive. Programs wouldn't be accredited if they couldn't give you what you need. As was posted above, if you have passed boards, you should be able to find training somewhere. GL and make the most of the opportunity you can find in scramble. 👍
 
I scrambled last year, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I found a program I didn't even know existed, and it ended up being better than any I had visited.

Anybody that's feeling discouraged should remember--it's not a perfect system. That's why I see some good programs on the unmatched list. Now get to work and get into those programs!

One more thing--if you're trying to scramble into a program and they ask you if you want to visit. Get on the plane THAT DAY. Don't say, "OK, sometime this week." Someone is going to beat you to it...drop everything and go...
 
At Western we received the following notice from the faculty last month:

".The AACPM and CPME reported at the APMA BOT Meeting on Saturday, February 20, 2010, that there are 64 new residency positions within currently approved programs recently activated by JRRC/CPME in preparation for the 2010-11 training year. This represents a total of 508 residency positions for the projected 503 potential graduates from colleges of podiatric medicine in the United States. (February 2010)."..

.
 
Woah there darazon! According to some of our posters' instructors' friends' mothers' at Temple, this is definitely NOT possible. How can they scare their students into passing the boards the first time around with info regarding a surplus of residencies? You've lost it man...
 
well apparently, there have been a lot of unmatched ppl this year, and I am just trying to scope out what I'll be doing, if it doesnt work out. I am definitely applying everywhere and so are other people, and I hope that it all works out.

Scranton, how long did it take u to get a spot?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At Western we received the following notice from the faculty last month:

".The AACPM and CPME reported at the APMA BOT Meeting on Saturday, February 20, 2010, that there are 64 new residency positions within currently approved programs recently activated by JRRC/CPME in preparation for the 2010-11 training year. This represents a total of 508 residency positions for the projected 503 potential graduates from colleges of podiatric medicine in the United States. (February 2010)."..

.

Is this for the graduates this year or for the class of 2011, because as of right now the class of 2011 has 559 students and the class of 2012 has 577 students. I believe last year(Class of 09) there were something like 490-495 spots, i don't understand where 64 new residency positions were added. Unless they will be added to the cycle for next year. Am I missing something?
 
Is this for the graduates this year or for the class of 2011, because as of right now the class of 2011 has 559 students and the class of 2012 has 577 students. I believe last year(Class of 09) there were something like 490-495 spots, i don't understand where 64 new residency positions were added. Unless they will be added to the cycle for next year. Am I missing something?

our residency coordinator stated nationwide 110 GRADUATING students or so did not match and will scramble.

according to caspr, i think there are 63 spots open for scramble. lol what a joke!! 47 students will not match and go into next year's cycle. this shortage is very real. so much for the apma right now.
 
our residency coordinator stated nationwide 110 GRADUATING students or so did not match and will scramble.

according to caspr, i think there are 63 spots open for scramble. lol what a joke!! 47 students will not match and go into next year's cycle. this shortage is very real. so much for the apma right now.

Woah 47. WTH. omg now im scared about 2011.
 
our residency coordinator stated nationwide 110 GRADUATING students or so did not match and will scramble.

according to caspr, i think there are 63 spots open for scramble. lol what a joke!! 47 students will not match and go into next year's cycle. this shortage is very real. so much for the apma right now.
i heard it was more like 120 in the scramble, but either way it doesn't look good
 
The last numbers I saw showed around a ~35 spot shortage of residency positions for the class of 2010.

Glad I matched!
 
Congratulations on matching.

Where are you getting your information from about 35 spots, because some people in other forums are quoting some ridiculously high numbers like 143? I didn't think that was true but I don't have any solid information either.
 
Hello everyone, delegate here. Here are the numbers FOR REAL:


522 total students in CASPR for the 2010 cycle
498 in Class of 2010 (14 of which have not passed NBPME Part I)
24 people re-entering CASPR (5 of which have not passed NBPME Part I)
503 total qualified applicants (students having passed NBPME Part I)
Number of available positions in 2010 is subject to change through July 1, 2010.
472 positions currently available in CAPSR to match
This number can increase up to July 1, 2010
It is possible for a residency to being on Oct 1, 2010 if a program develops or positions open
After July 1, 2010.
507 approved in CPME for 2010 match
Basically there is a 31 position deficit at this point. However, if all positions open up in CPME by July 1, than there will be a surplus of 4 positions. What an improvement!!
 
Hello everyone, delegate here. Here are the numbers FOR REAL:


522 total students in CASPR for the 2010 cycle
498 in Class of 2010 (14 of which have not passed NBPME Part I)
24 people re-entering CASPR (5 of which have not passed NBPME Part I)
503 total qualified applicants (students having passed NBPME Part I)
Number of available positions in 2010 is subject to change through July 1, 2010.
472 positions currently available in CAPSR to match
This number can increase up to July 1, 2010
It is possible for a residency to being on Oct 1, 2010 if a program develops or positions open
After July 1, 2010.
507 approved in CPME for 2010 match
Basically there is a 31 position deficit at this point. However, if all positions open up in CPME by July 1, than there will be a surplus of 4 positions. What an improvement!!


So there will be a 31 applicant rollover to next year and up to 507 positions available for the class of 2011. So the question is how many qualified students are currently in the class of 2011 that will be added to the rollover of 31?
 
No, I think what that means is that there are positions that are approved for the class of 2010 that haven't opened up yet (meaning they were not available during the match), and if they are opened up by July 1, then there are enough residencies for qualified applicants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I think what that means is that there are positions that are approved for the class of 2010 that haven't opened up yet (meaning they were not available during the match), and if they are opened up by July 1, then there are enough residencies for qualified applicants.

Wow. So right now, unmatched students are just sitting around hoping more spots will open up? That would be an awful feeling. But it does mean that some decent programs with big caseloads can add another spot so there is still hope to get a good residency for those sitting in limbo.
 
... some decent programs with big caseloads can add another spot so there is still hope to get a good residency for those sitting in limbo.
The problem is that, unfortunately, those "sitting in limbo" are sitting there for a reason. Resident quality can make or break a program very fast. It's detrimental to resident and program chemistry to have lazy, catty, and/or subpar academic residents. "Decent programs" wouldn't remain decent if they added spots to accomodate bottom of the barrel students.

Pod schools aren't as selective as MD schools in terms of admissions. There will always be some who "slip through the cracks" in every system, but there's a much greater gap between the top and bottom students in pod schools. Sounds mean? Yeah. True? Oh yeah.
 
The problem is that, unfortunately, those "sitting in limbo" are sitting there for a reason. Resident quality can make or break a program very fast. It's detrimental to resident and program chemistry to have lazy, catty, and/or subpar academic residents. "Decent programs" wouldn't remain decent if they added spots to accomodate bottom of the barrel students.

Pod schools aren't as selective as MD schools in terms of admissions. There will always be some who "slip through the cracks" in every system, but there's a much greater gap between the top and bottom students in pod schools. Sounds mean? Yeah. True? Oh yeah.

What makes you think that those sitting in limbo have either personality or academic problems? This is a very unkind statement. EVERY STUDENT who graduates from podiatry school deserves residency training, or at least the shot at residency training. Read the residency rules. If a student is incapable of performing as a resident then there are procedural steps that may be taken by the program. The bottom of the barrel students, as you say, from my class are good podiatrists today. I graduated with high grades and didn't get matched. When there are substantial numbers of students vying for many less slots, the result is disasterous. Both good and bad students don't match. How would you feel if you were stuck out of a residency for a year, or more? It isn't the students fault, please don't blame your fellow colleagues. It's better to be proactive. When you graduate, go out and start up a residency program yourself, help to solve this mess, don't criticize our fellow colleagues.
 
Hi Podpal...unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Students do not "deserve" a residency program. Just because you get into medical school does not mean you automatically get into residency. These are programs designed for higher learning but still a job position nonetheless. Now you are talking about liability of patients, of co-workers, healthcare benefits, malpractice etc. Deserving students deserve a residency. It is not a right to have a program but rather a privilege to have one. MD students who scramble are not guaranteed a program even when there are hundred of spots open. Those students who do scramble and not match usually participate in research or shadow doctors to perfect their skills and more-so, develop their professional personalities and then match. A program sometimes will not take a bottom of the barrel student (those with below average GPAs and not pass because it would jeopardize the standard of care to patients and potentially to the hospital. Bottom line is that if you work hard and make yourself qualified ie passing boards, above average gpa, and basically not suck at life and being proactive..you should have no problem scrambling and matching into a program.
 
Last edited:
Hi Podpal...unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Students do not "deserve" a residency program. Just because you get into medical school does not mean you automatically get into residency. These are programs designed for higher learning but still a job position nonetheless. Now you are talking about liability of patients, of co-workers, healthcare benefits, malpractice etc. Deserving students deserve a residency. It is not a right to have a program but rather a privilege to have one. MD students who scramble are not guaranteed a program even when there are hundred of spots open. Those students who do scramble and not match usually participate in research or shadow doctors to perfect their skills and more-so, develop their professional personalities and then match. A program sometimes will not take a bottom of the barrel student (those with below average GPAs and not pass because it would jeopardize the standard of care to patients and potentially to the hospital. Bottom line is that if you work hard and make yourself qualified ie passing boards, above average gpa, and basically not suck at life and being proactive..you should have no problem scrambling and matching into a program.

While I definitely agree that they may not "deserve" a residency program, the difference between our MD counterparts is that they actually have viable options if they do not match (internship year, research), whereas DPMs do not. I guess you're saying all 30 students who didn't match this year didn't "deserve" a residency. These types of arguments are counter-productive and don't really address heart of the matter. In almost all states ( I think 49?)- you must have completed a 3 yr residency in order to obtain a license to practice. You can't just "shadow" a doctor when in 100k+ debt. Be realistic and don't skirt around the reality facing graduates now w/o a residency. If all the colleges are graduating students (who pass Boards 1 & 2), and they aren't able to obtain residencies/and or there is a shortage of them, the schools have effectively set up the system for failure. I was reading somewhere on the forums that this happened in the 90s, and someone stated that it "tanked" enrollment. That is the likely scenario that could crop again if there isn't a place for competent students (who are again-- minimally competent). If the idea is that they are truly non-deserving students, then the issue becomes (which I don't know the politics behind--enlighten me if you do) the fact that all the schools are complicit in over-filling class sizes year after year, with no oversight, no penalties, & no systematic way to screen applicants. Either way, there is an institutional problem that exists that can have real life repercussions on not just undeserving students if the shortage is around for 2-3 years or more. My opinion is that the APMA along with colleges of podiatric medicine should institute a cap on all schools, create a guideline that all schools should follow to screen applicants, and strictly enforce it. Just my 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
...EVERY STUDENT who graduates from podiatry school deserves residency training, or at least the shot at residency training. Read the residency rules...
You have to read what I posted. I never said that any grad doesn't deserve a residency, but if the grad hasn't passed boards, then they can't get a training license and can't start residency anyways (which is why pt1 should be a grad requirement at all pod schools).

What I posted was simply that most good programs aren't going to go out of their way to add spots (and lower the caseload for their currently selected residents) in order to add what are likely to be lower quality applicants who are still scrambling. In the years where the match was heavily in the students' favor (circa 2004-08). A lot of good programs which were previously fairly selective ended up matching or scrambling candidates whose stats/interviews were a bit below their typical standards due to the shallow applicant pool. Many of those programs learned the hard way that resident quality has a pretty big effect on program quality. Therefore, despite financial incentive to add spots, they are unlikely to add spots that aren't needed or that they don't feel they can fill with a quality residency candidate. As was mentioned, residency and surgery training is a privilege. In an even more basic sense, it's a job that you get hired for, not an entitlement... just as an MBA grad doesn't get picked up by a Fortune 500 simply because they graduated. That is all.
 
residency and surgery training is a privilege. In an even more basic sense, it's a job that you get hired for, not an entitlement... just as an MBA grad doesn't get picked up by a Fortune 500 simply because they graduated.

This is probably the best way this discussion has been framed in a long time.
 
well apparently, there have been a lot of unmatched ppl this year, and I am just trying to scope out what I'll be doing, if it doesnt work out. I am definitely applying everywhere and so are other people, and I hope that it all works out.

Scranton, how long did it take u to get a spot?

I matched the day after match day (flew out that night to the one I wanted to go to). I wasn't the best student grade-wise (not bottom of the barrel either, though--just average). I was a good candidate other-wise, and I acted very quickly.
 
While I definitely agree that they may not "deserve" a residency program, the difference between our MD counterparts is that they actually have viable options if they do not match (internship year, research), whereas DPMs do not. I guess you're saying all 30 students who didn't match this year didn't "deserve" a residency. These types of arguments are counter-productive and don't really address heart of the matter. In almost all states ( I think 49?)- you must have completed a 3 yr residency in order to obtain a license to practice. You can't just "shadow" a doctor when in 100k+ debt. Be realistic and don't skirt around the reality facing graduates now w/o a residency. If all the colleges are graduating students (who pass Boards 1 & 2), and they aren't able to obtain residencies/and or there is a shortage of them, the schools have effectively set up the system for failure. I was reading somewhere on the forums that this happened in the 90s, and someone stated that it "tanked" enrollment. That is the likely scenario that could crop again if there isn't a place for competent students (who are again-- minimally competent). If the idea is that they are truly non-deserving students, then the issue becomes (which I don't know the politics behind--enlighten me if you do) the fact that all the schools are complicit in over-filling class sizes year after year, with no oversight, no penalties, & no systematic way to screen applicants. Either way, there is an institutional problem that exists that can have real life repercussions on not just undeserving students if the shortage is around for 2-3 years or more. My opinion is that the APMA along with colleges of podiatric medicine should institute a cap on all schools, create a guideline that all schools should follow to screen applicants, and strictly enforce it. Just my 2 cents.


Yes, you are right. Schools are the biggest problem. Approximately 5/9 schools went over cap in the past 3 years. There was a major increase in numbers starting in 2008 which posted a major problem for already established residency programs. And you're right there was no penalty for these schools. HOWEVER, the CPME has recognized this issue and there is now penalty in place. No idea what it is. But keep in mind. Schools are a business. They need as much money as possible and if it means taking another 10 students then so be it. It sucks but it's reality. Again, I stand by what I said earlier. Make yourself appealing, skilled, above average, proactive, and have a great kind personality and you'll get a spot.
 
Hi....I was the 1st to start this thread if you care to read the 1st post.

I mentioned there were not enough residency slots for students back then. I was right. But the situation does not look any different. Instead, I think there are more students left without a spot. Next year I guess is worse, more students, less postions.

I just glanced at these posts & did not read all of the.

My understanding...there were about 60+ slots that did not match. There were 100+ students who still needed a postion. That does not include DPM's like myself who thought of looking for a program. And ther were 10+ DPM's & other grads like myself looking.

This stinks. The AACPM needs to do something. Why are these schools taking students, when there are not enough slots.

Why did we need 2 more schools...Arizona & Califorina ...from what I know.

This is a a sad sad professsion, A bad mistake on my part & I admit it. I am stuck. Can not get a program, so can not open a practice.

Good Luck
the footpodguy
 
This is a a sad sad professsion, A bad mistake on my part & I admit it. I am stuck. Can not get a program, so can not open a practice.

Good Luck
the footpodguy

That sucks.
We need more info on why you didn't get a spot. How were your grades? Did you pass the boards?
 
What makes you think that those sitting in limbo have either personality or academic problems? This is a very unkind statement. EVERY STUDENT who graduates from podiatry school deserves residency training, or at least the shot at residency training. Read the residency rules. If a student is incapable of performing as a resident then there are procedural steps that may be taken by the program. The bottom of the barrel students, as you say, from my class are good podiatrists today. I graduated with high grades and didn't get matched. When there are substantial numbers of students vying for many less slots, the result is disasterous. Both good and bad students don't match. How would you feel if you were stuck out of a residency for a year, or more? It isn't the students fault, please don't blame your fellow colleagues. It's better to be proactive. When you graduate, go out and start up a residency program yourself, help to solve this mess, don't criticize our fellow colleagues.


That comment just gave me hope! I gotta say, it feels cozy at the very bottom!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My opinion is that the APMA along with colleges of podiatric medicine should institute a cap on all schools, create a guideline that all schools should follow to screen applicants, and strictly enforce it. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed 👍. I think schools need to raise the bar on the applicant pool.

As was mentioned, residency and surgery training is a privilege. In an even more basic sense, it's a job that you get hired for, not an entitlement... just as an MBA grad doesn't get picked up by a Fortune 500 simply because they graduated. That is all.

Well said.

This is a a sad sad professsion, A bad mistake on my part & I admit it. I am stuck. Can not get a program, so can not open a practice.

I feel bad for you. Not about the position that you're in, but because of your negative outlook. I'm sorry but, when things don't work out as planned, I don't look around and find someone or something else to blame (i.e. a profession). I look at what I might have done wrong and then I work my tail off to correct it.

Yes, there is a problem with residency spots, we all know that. I for one am not worried. I know who I am, the skills I have, and I know what I need to do to ensure I get that spot. If I end up not getting a residency, it is not because someone else failed me, it will because I failed myself.
 
I agree that the schools should be limited to a number that equal or is below residency positions. Just common sense. However, even with equal positions some graduates will most likely not be granted a program. Not so long ago when the applicant pool was down (more residencies than graduates) there were some graduates (yes the schools graduated them) who were some of the worst I had ever seen. Many had failed both partsof the boards and had numerous issues traced back to undergraduate education. We intentionally did not fill spots since these individuals would have affected the program negatively and hurt the education of the other residents. Some were lazy but many should have never been accepted to professional schools. I blame the schools for that. When applicants dropped in numbers they(the schools) in a sense scrambled. Many of these people were people who probably would have had problems in any field they chose.

For those who did work hard and have decent credentials you do have a right to make a living. States have mandated residency training for licensure knowing that we had a historical shortage of residencies. In my class half did not land a program and they may not move to many states that have strict requirements on residency training. Perhaps state associations need to review these laws and help state boards devise options for some type of license while these sad few sit in limbo.
 
As was mentioned, residency and surgery training is a privilege. In an even more basic sense, it's a job that you get hired for, not an entitlement... just as an MBA grad doesn't get picked up by a Fortune 500 simply because they graduated. That is all.

Although I agree with your statements in this thread for the most part I cant say I am on board with this one Feli.

An MBA goes into a program with the knowledge that the designation they obtain does not automatically lead to a job. Since MD/DPM require a residency as the "next step" as part of our training/learning we as students are entering with a different mindset, so I don't think you can compare the two. An MBA graduates with the degree and looks for a job, we graduate with the degree and if we cant get a residency we cant get a job so apples and oranges imo. If someone graduates from a residency and doesn't get hired you'll hear no complaints from me.

I am fairly certain all if not almost all dpm students until the entering class of 2009 went into the colleges with the assumption they would get a residency slot (i'm speaking from the view that they passed boards and other requirements). I don't think it is appropriate (the whole system is flawed) that someone puts in 4 years of their life + the thousands of dollars required to pass classes/clinics/boards to get their DPM degree as outlined by an accredited college only to be told sorry "even though you did all that was required by us you're not good enough". If they didnt meet certain requirements (boards) then don't accept them into a residency (they shouldn't even graduate - re:whole system is flawed). If the schools/apma/whoever want to do things that way they should make it clear from the start to entering students that even though you pass boards/classes/clinics and graduate you may still not get a residency without which you cant practice.
 
Does the irresponsibility of the schools discussed above and the resulting lower quality of applicant make anyone think that perhaps podiatry would be better off as a medical subspecialty than off on its own?

This would solve the problems for residencies because they would be selecting from a higher quality of student and therefore there would be fewer "duds" allowed to soil podiatry's good name.

As far as the inferiority complex that podiatry has and the parity that we so greatly desire, this would solve both of those problems as well and podiatrists would potentially become less of a "2nd class-physician."

Please note that I don't necessarily believe this is the right course of action. But the situations discussed above seem to make a pretty strong argument for moving in that direction. I know this is the subject for a whole other thread entirely, but what does everyone else think? (And please, comments like "I don't want to do an OB/GYN rotation!" aren't helpful nor do they make a good argument, so pre-pods, please try to avoid going that route.)
 
Makes me wonder what was the big hurry to close all 1 yr residency programs. Atleast people could have done that and survived. Now they will be wasting an entire year.

We could have first focussed on improving the basic fundamental issues that surround this profession and then worry about issues like parity, 3yr residencies, new schools etc. ha ha we dont even have our basic infrastructure in order and here we were building palaces out of thin air. People have 200K loans on their heads. That alone makes my head dizzy.

Im making this a personal issue and informing every single prepod and premed around me about this situation.Better save their time and money.

I have nothing against podiatry profession. I looove this profession but this residency situation is really gonna put many of us in serious economic hardship and emotional torture.
 
Last edited: