Are there enough RESIDENCY slots this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's make a possible scenario out of this and say this person is from DMU. An avg of high 70's is relatively good since the podiatry students at DMU take all of their classes with the osteopathic medical school students.

The mentality in allopathic and osteopathic medical schools is that any grade over 70% is satisfactory and warrants competency in that discipline. If a MD or DO student is successful in passing all three steps of the USMLE or COMLEX then students with avgs in the high 70's usually earn residency spots in internal medicine, family medicine...basically residency programs that are less competitive (UNLESS they destroy their boards)

But in podiatry this could mean no residency??? It's debatable to say that all curriculums btw all podiatric medical schools are equal. Being that I am pre-pod I am not going to point fingers at certain schools...because I don't know. But after reading enough posts in the podiatry forum I have come to the conclusion that most people here don't think all podiatry schools are equal.

Why should the podiatry student from DMU be punished when actually they are handling the demanding curriculum rather well? Why should his/her DO counterparts, who might be getting the same grades or lower, be able to land a residency and have a future?

It's a scenario like this that makes me feel uneasy. I was speaking with another future Scholl student about this and on a positive note it was stated that a lot can happen in 4 years while we are in school. Who knows maybe this residency shortage will be corrected by then.

Wow so you gonna risk 200K and 4yrs of life in the belief that a lot can happen in four years. Are you serious! Ever thought what will happen if it is not resolved?

Since you are a pre-pod. I would hold my admission till this issue gets resolved. Do not waste your time and money till this matter is sorted out. If there is even 0.001% chance that you might not get residency than that is a matter of worry.

Its your life and you will decide. but please do think about it. if you dont get a residency thanks to shortage. then you know whats gonna happen to you.

There was a knowledge that there is shortage right from last year and what did many people said "wait till match comes out, everything will be fine". what hapepened? there is still a shortage and this is the truth. And now again the tape recorder started singing "wait till july 1st". I pray it gets resolved by july 1st. but till i see it im not believing it. So if i were you i would not enter pod school till there is again equal number of residency seats to the class entering.
 
Last edited:
Wow so you gonna risk 200K and 4yrs of life in the belief that a lot can happen in four years. Are you serious! Ever thought what will happen if it is not resolved?

Since you are a pre-pod. I would hold my admission till this issue gets resolved. Do not waste your time and money till this matter is sorted out. If there is even 0.001% chance that you might not get residency than that is a matter of worry.

Its your life and you will decide. but please do think about it. if you dont get a residency thanks to shortage. then you know whats gonna happen to you.

There was a knowledge that there is shortage right from last year and what did many people said "wait till match comes out, everything will be fine". what hapepened? there is still a shortage and this is the truth. And now again the tape recorder started singing "wait till july 1st". I pray it gets resolved by july 1st. but till i see it im not believing it. So if i were you i would not enter pod school till there is again equal number of residency seats to the class entering.

Easy there preacher. I was with you on your previous post but now you are losing me. I think you mean well but your preaching is a little irritating. I am a big boy and I have made my decisions to enter school. I can't speak for other applicants but I am confident in my ability to do well in podiatric medical school. I've already taken first year med school courses through Drexel Med and have also done a 1 yr post-bacc through Drexel, before that year of "fake" med school. I think I am more prepared than most...
 
Easy there preacher. I was with you on your previous post but now you are losing me. I think you mean well but your preaching is a little irritating. I am a big boy and I have made my decisions to enter school. I can't speak for other applicants but I am confident in my ability to do well in podiatric medical school. I've already taken first year med school courses through Drexel Med and have also done a 1 yr post-bacc through Drexel, before that year of "fake" med school. I think I am more prepared than most...

Bro! What will i lose or gain if you go to pod school. As i mentioned in the post earlier. Its your life and you are the person to decide. I wish you goodluck. My job was to warn you and i did.

Godforbid if this problem is not resolved by the time you graduate. Do you have any back up plans?

btw How exactly taking Med school courses will help you fight the Residency shortage problem? and from personal experience and seeing my fellow classmates. No one can predict how they will do in a professional school. Life is constantly changing. You might start the year on a good note but by 3rd year your gpa will go down because of one bad class or your health or whatever. You cannot predict future. You can just be prepared for any eventuality. As they say "Prepare for the best, expect the worse."

PS: Iam not telling you not to join Podiatry School. Podiatry is a very rewarding profession. You will loove the whole experience. All iam saying is hold of your admission till this issue gets resolved. Its very important issue that needs to be fixed.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PS: Iam not telling you not to join Podiatry School. Podiatry is a very rewarding profession. You will loove the whole experience. All iam saying is hold of your admission till this issue gets resolved. Its very important issue that needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure that this is realistic. People have lives to live and can't wait for the profession to level out. This could be a problem that takes numerous class cycles to fix. Your chances of obtaining a residency are higher than not, so what good does waiting for what could be 5 years do?

Fixing the residency shortage has to come from school caps and residency genesis. Quality students should still apply and matriculate, or else lower caliber students will fill their spots anyway. I just don't think that deterring quality applicants does anything positive for the profession.
 
Pretty sure if you drive a car your whole life you have greater than a 0.001% chance of getting in a fatal accident...guess cool_vkb won't be driving ever again

You know exactly what i mean. Hey i dont mind what you make out of my post. I will continue to warn future students from risking a big amount of money and time. Its a moral obligation. If they ask me how is podiatry. I tell them all the good things about this wonderfull profession but i also warn them about this crisis and urge them to use their wise mind.

I know i sure wont be buying a house without doing a thorough inspection or investing in something which has a known problem. Just in these few days when media said ga ga about Toyota its sales went down because people were afraid. When we can get scared for a $20-30K car. How much research and worried you should be for a 4yr commitment and $200K loan?

There is a shortage of 35 slots this year and those geniuses will be competing with my class. Its just gonna add up every year. And lets not ignore this saddening economy. Iam sure you are also aware due to economic restrictions few programs closed this year.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure that this is realistic. People have lives to live and can't wait for the profession to level out. This could be a problem that takes numerous class cycles to fix. Your chances of obtaining a residency are higher than not, so what good does waiting for what could be 5 years do?

Fixing the residency shortage has to come from school caps and residency genesis. Quality students should still apply and matriculate, or else lower caliber students will fill their spots anyway. I just don't think that deterring quality applicants does anything positive for the profession.

Hey i agree its unrealistic. but think about this. If this issue is gonna resolve through numerous cycles then every cycle we will have poor kids who will not get residency and ofcourse this will gradually decrease. but all in that time what happens to the poor souls who will not get residency. they still have to pay the loan, they will not have any job.

Even if we go by the notion that the chances of not getting residency are very less. What will you do, if you become the unlucky person who doesnt get residnecy thanks to this crisis. what will be your backup plan?

I dont think thats a fair approach. We need to do drastic changes and fix this issue.
 
Last edited:
cool_vkb said:
How much research and worried you should be for a 4yr commitment and $200K loan?

We all take risks everyday. We make investments, we consume goods, we date...ultimately we do what we think is best for ourselves or what we think will bring us the most happiness. Who cares that a few people who couldn't cut it academically or clinically are re-applying to residency programs year after year? If podiatry is what makes you happy then invest in yourself, go to school, don't be a screw up like those complaining and get a residency.

cool_vkb said:
There is a shortage of 35 slots this year and those geniuses will be competing with my class

Contrary to what podpal would like you to believe, there is a reason those folks couldn't land a position. You must have something you aren't telling us that makes you worry so much.

cool_vkb said:
Iam sure you are also aware due to economic restrictions few programs closed this year.

a) according to the massive amounts of uneducated voters who turned out a little over a year ago, Obama will fix the economic problems right away (so no need to worry).
b) I'm sure you're aware that a few programs are opening up...what is your point exactly?
 
We all take risks everyday. We make investments, we consume goods, we date...ultimately we do what we think is best for ourselves or what we think will bring us the most happiness. Who cares that a few people who couldn't cut it academically or clinically are re-applying to residency programs year after year? If podiatry is what makes you happy then invest in yourself, go to school, don't be a screw up like those complaining and get a residency.



Contrary to what podpal would like you to believe, there is a reason those folks couldn't land a position. You must have something you aren't telling us that makes you worry so much.

a) according to the massive amounts of uneducated voters who turned out a little over a year ago, Obama will fix the economic problems right away (so no need to worry).
b) I'm sure you're aware that a few programs are opening up...what is your point exactly?

Bro! Iam never advocating that everyone should get a residency. Let the Programs decide who they want to take or not. But we should have equal number of residency slots to the number of people who graduate.

This year there is a shortage of 30 Slots. It doesnt matter if your gpa is good or bad or you passed your boards or not. How are you gonna get a residnecy when there are no seats?

Its like boarding a boat which has 90 life jackets but is accomodating 100 passengers. godforbid there is a calamity. there will be 10 people who will not have a life jacket.

will you board that boat? i sure will not. we know now there is a shortage. till we see schools are taking less students
or residencies are opening more slots and this issue has been completely resolved i dont want my brother or sister to enter this profession and be at risk of not geting residency.

once again im not asking all students should get residency.

iam just asking for a fair chance. equal number of residency slots to number of students who graduate.

I pray that iam wrong and i hope you can give me some evidence that there is no shortage of residency and no student will become victim.i will be more than happy.

Its my moral obligation to present this truth to all prepods that there is a shortage and so far it hasnt been fixed. better be prepared if godforbid if it doesnt gets fixed by the time they graduate.
 
Last edited:
Wow Dtrack that is a really broad brush you paint with. I know it is my fault I didn't do better in classes and the fact I only ranked 5 programs was a mistake as well. I should have ranked more programs. My grades are not extremely bad and I feel I am just as well prepared for podiatry as other students I've talked to throughout the 4th year experience. I've passed boards part 1 on my first try whereas others with higher gpas did not.

I work hard, I get along with the people I work with, and I have adequate knowledge to do what I need to do. I truly believe the only reason I do not have a position right now is because of the shortage. I have an interview tomorrow which might change that. I was holding onto a chance I had in the beginning of the scramble at a program in a city I wanted to stay in. I was told I had a really good chance of getting it so I hung around there instead of travelling and visiting other programs. After I found out I lost the spot a lot of positions were taken already. Another mistake on my part. I've never dealt with this before so I didn't know how to go about doing this. I don't think that makes me a bad candidate who does not deserve a residency.
 
We all take risks everyday. We make investments, we consume goods, we date...ultimately we do what we think is best for ourselves or what we think will bring us the most happiness. Who cares that a few people who couldn't cut it academically or clinically are re-applying to residency programs year after year? If podiatry is what makes you happy then invest in yourself, go to school, don't be a screw up like those complaining and get a residency.



Contrary to what podpal would like you to believe, there is a reason those folks couldn't land a position. You must have something you aren't telling us that makes you worry so much.



a) according to the massive amounts of uneducated voters who turned out a little over a year ago, Obama will fix the economic problems right away (so no need to worry).
b) I'm sure you're aware that a few programs are opening up...what is your point exactly?

bro btw what program did you match.
 
Contrary to what podpal would like you to believe, there is a reason those folks couldn't land a position. You must have something you aren't telling us that makes you worry so much.

I agree with what the others are posting. I have also seen competent students have to scramble to obtain a residency. There's more to it than just your academics.

I know a 3rd year peds resident who really liked a 4th year student, who worked very well on the floors. However, he tanked his interview because he was nervous. If the RD hadn't said something to that specific 3rd year and he didn't point out that he was stellar on the floors, the program would have ranked him much lower. (He ended up matching at that hospital). The process isn't as cut and dry as you would like to portray.

There needs to be enough spots for every student. If there are extra spots at the end, so be it. But every applicant who is qualified to enter a program, should get the opportunity to scramble for one, without the fear of being shut out because of lack of spaces.

As of now, the class sizes are getting bigger and bigger. If the situation continues, the problem is going to spill over into the next cycle, and so on. As podiatry becomes more competitive, you'll see more qualified applicants not getting positions.
 
How can the students put pressure on the APMA and CPME to start getting their act together more quickly? How do we get the APMA and CPME to crack down on the schools to either up their standards are starting lowering their class sizes or both. I feel if the students unite we can become an influential voice that the APMA and CPME would have to reckon with. Even if we can't really do anything, if we were stand together and display our disdain for the current residency shortage, it would only make the APMA and CPME look bad and it put more pressure on them to do something. The more we talk about this topic the more I feel it is complete BS. If a student passes all their classes and passes all their boards they are entitled to scamble somewhere and get residency training so that they can legally practice.

Frankly, though, I am afraid that is easier said then done because a lot of students are out for themselves and really don't care about the people who have passed all their classes and their boards and still don't land a residency. I could also see students being hesitant to step up to the plate because they don't want to piss off the schools they are currently attending.

In all seriousness, is there any reasonable thing that we, the students, can actively do about this residency shortage other then "doing well in school" or "doing well during the clinical years"?
 
Last edited:
I agree with what the others are posting. I have also seen competent students have to scramble to obtain a residency. There's more to it than just your academics.

I agree and some who have passing grades and national boards are not selected for other reasons. Some have personality issues which cause concern for a residency. Some have a bad strategy in applying for positions. I have seen some average students only apply to programs in a geographic location or put all of their eggs into one basket with applying to only a few programs. You have to be realistic. Go ahead and apply for your dream program but also have backups. Others over think the match and do not understand the process and do not rank a program that say had them fifth for 2 positions. Others wait until the last minute to research programs or listen to advice from their competing peers.


There needs to be enough spots for every student. If there are extra spots at the end, so be it. But every applicant who is qualified to enter a program, should get the opportunity to scramble for one, without the fear of being shut out because of lack of spaces.

I agree with this statement. But there will always be a few who do not match because of the above or they fail national boards. Many states require passing national boards and someone who fails will not get a license to start a residency. The re-test scores do not come out until after a residency starts forcing most programs to drop anyone who fails.
Having said all of that there has to be something for those who graduate and pass the boards (the first time) rather than sit in limbo for a year (Unless the applicant did something to make themselves non viable). The profession needs to address those who fit this criteria. Also there are people selected for podiatric medical school that have no business being there. By now the schools should have enought data on who not to take. MCATs, GPAs, and the undergraduate school they attended should yield some data. Also, the admissions committe should be able to pick up personality issues during the interview and save the applicant 200K in student debt. Applicants also have to be realistic. If you have a 2.3 GPA from a less than challenging undergraduate school and did poorly on MCATs why do you think that you will succeed in professional school. Perhaps a MS degree or working for awhile may better better than entering any professional school even if accepted. Foreign medical schools with bad reputations do the same and students flock to them only to discover they can not pass the USLME.

As of now, the class sizes are getting bigger and bigger. If the situation continues, the problem is going to spill over into the next cycle, and so on. As podiatry becomes more competitive, you'll see more qualified applicants not getting positions.

Disagree here. I would venture to say qualified applicants will do well year in and year out. The repeat pool people unless something changes in their behavior or credentials will continue to flounder.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greattoe said:
I know it is my fault I didn't do better in classes and the fact I only ranked 5 programs was a mistake as well

Greattoe said:
I was holding onto a chance I had in the beginning of the scramble at a program in a city I wanted to stay in. I was told I had a really good chance of getting it so I hung around there instead of travelling and visiting other programs. After I found out I lost the spot a lot of positions were taken already. Another mistake on my part.

Greattoe said:
I truly believe the only reason I do not have a position right now is because of the shortage.

Wait? So you ranked 5 programs, didn't take other visits/interviews, admittedly made mistakes and the REASON you don't have a spot is because of the residency shortage? Are greatto and cool_vkb your typical pod students?

cool_vkb said:
bro btw what program did you match.

I matched at the same program you did. And as for your 30 seat shortage, last I've read that shortage of 30 seats is calculated using students who are highly unqualified to land a residency spot to begin with. If those 30 students have yet to pass boards or are not being taken because a lot of professionals feel they would not serve our profession well and therefore do not offer those students a place in their program, is there really a shortage? If all of the qualified students are getting spots (and stop talking about scrambling, a lot of good students have to scramble, thats not the point) then there really isn't a shortage is there? You don't really know though, so instead of focusing so much energy on SDN maybe you should focus on your clinical skills so that you aren't on here complaining in a few years.
 
I have read several posts about class sizes getting bigger and bigger...

When I interviewed at Temple and NYCPM they both said they were cutting their class sizes for the class of 2014.

Temple said they were taking about 10 less students. I do not know the number for NYCPM. I am curious if Ohio is cutting any slots? I never interviewed there.
I don't think they will be cutting seats anytime soon. The accrediting institution just visited this past year and gave them approval to ADD more seats, so we'll see...
 
I matched at the same program you did. And as for your 30 seat shortage, last I've read that shortage of 30 seats is calculated using students who are highly unqualified to land a residency spot to begin with. If those 30 students have yet to pass boards or are not being taken because a lot of professionals feel they would not serve our profession well and therefore do not offer those students a place in their program, is there really a shortage? If all of the qualified students are getting spots (and stop talking about scrambling, a lot of good students have to scramble, thats not the point) then there really isn't a shortage is there? You don't really know though, so instead of focusing so much energy on SDN maybe you should focus on your clinical skills so that you aren't on here complaining in a few years.

Iam in class of 2011. I asked you a simple question. Where did you matched? I didnt understood your reply.

Well regarding if there is shortage or not. Sure lets wait another 2 months. By july we will get more clearer picture. I hope iam wrong.
 
Last edited:
Yep...wow what did I start here?

I started this thread. I said there were not enough postions...ther are not.

Next point: Pod school continue to take students when ...NOW...let me repeat that ...NOW..there are not enough slots! There will be more students next year...then what?

I did not read all these posts. But I speed read a few.

What have I done to Help with this problem:
1. I have contacted the AACPM. It is not there problem, they just do the match according to them.
2. I contacted the Council on Podiatry or whatever there name is. I talked to a girl & explained the situation. She took notes as I rambled on for a good 10 minutes or more. She said someone would call me back. No One did.

On the above, I explained we were better off with a one year PPMR, RPR, or POR programs then all these stupid PMS 24 & 26...at least then there could be more programs & students placed, like it used to be years ago.
But students all wanted surgery, so you got what so many wanted. I would go to an orthopod before a podiatrist for any big foot surgeries anyway...& I am a Podiatrist. I have friends who are making 100,000+ a year...clipping & chipping, that is all they do. Most of the money they make on house calls.

We need to get these PPMR, POR, & RPR's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES>>>>we need these programs, ask, ask & ask again.

3. I have contacted a local hospital on staring a program, they did not call back. Need to reach their residency director.
So....I am doing my share...what about the rest of you.

Call AACPM
Call the Podiatry Council.
Call Complain
Call a hospital....and talk to their residency director.
Call the schools...all of them.
We did not need 2 more schools, that was stupid!


In looking over the programs I am disappointed that I do not see any directors that I graduated with...I take that back, think I saw one.

Do your part!!!!!!!
I am trying at least!
 
Yep...wow what did I start here?

I would go to an orthopod before a podiatrist for any big foot surgeries anyway...& I am a Podiatrist.

Yes there are some orthopedists who do good foot and ankle surgery. But there are many more trained and experienced DPMs. Your lack of confidence in your profession is sad. I have complications just like anyone but fix a lot of orthopods (often referred by them) complications when they tried to do something they rarely do. Go to the best in your city be it a DPM or MD but please do not generalize a whole profession. It shows how naive you must be.
 
.... I would go to an orthopod before a podiatrist for any big foot surgeries anyway...& I am a Podiatrist...
There's excellent surgeons trained by either model. It's all about doing your homework on local surgeons. Podfather is 100% correct when he says you can't make blind generalizations. It's just plain naive.

-Ortho = 5yrs general (circa 4-8wk dedicated F&A depending on program, but some F&A on general, trauma, sports, adult, peds, etc rotations)
-F&A Ortho = tack on 6-12mo of dedicated F&A

-Recently trained DPM = 3yr residency (circa 24mo of dedicated F&A depending on program), and possible 12+ month dedicated F&A fellowship

...either way you acquire the training, it's a significant volume of foot and ankle surgery. Those who are interested in the subspecialty of F&A surg and have the talent for it will rise to the top regardless of which model. You always want a dedicated specialist for any surgery IMO, but there will be some excellent F&A surgeons out there who got their skills from either the pod surg residency road, the ortho F&A fellowship road, or even many just the ortho residency + personal F&A interest road.

The main difference is probably just that DPMs have a certification board for F&A surgery, the ABPS. The problem is that there are a ton of current DPMs who were essentially grandfathered into ABPS despite training for and doing very little or no rearfoot, trauma, etc. That will change, but things don't happen overnight. Ultimately, the ABPS cert DPMs who are grandfathered in will wash out. That is a certainty, and at that point, you are pretty safe going with a DPM who is cert by ABPS - esp if they're rearfoot recon and ankle cert (meaning 3+ yr trained and passed additional board exams).

Ortho F&A has a society, AOFAS, but their fellowships are relatively new. For now, their society only requires general ortho board (ABOS) cert and "interested" in foot and ankle to join. An orthopedist who hasn't done any F&A cases besides occasional ER call ankle fractures since he finished residency 20yrs ago could join AOFAS. Similarly to ABPS grandfathered DPMs washing out, the AOFAS fellowships will get more history, and the organization may start requiring completion of an AOFAS-approved fellowship for all members. That is only somewhat likely since it would limit their membership $, but it'd be a good move since then people could feel pretty comfortable picking an AOFAS for F&A surgery since you'd know the ortho F&A did a focused fellowship (even though he still never had to pass a board exam that was focused F&A surgery).

For now, I'd say just do your research if you or a family member needs F&A surgery. Hospitals will generally limit their staff to qualified surgeons to protect their own interests, but you should still do your homework since somebody might have gotten F&A privileges a long time ago (or more recently just out of F&A surgeon rarity) and kept those operating rights despite doing very little volume and/or low quality work in that area. Ask around for recommendations, and then find out about the exact resume of the top recommended docs. They should almost invariably be ABPS qual/cert or an AOFAS member. Then, go and meet with them; don't hesitate to ask the surgeon how many of the proposed procedure he's done, how many he's done recently, etc. If it's complex elective, then definitely get a 2nd opinion. A second opinion is a good idea any time there's proposed procedure/surgery or a major/lifelong diagnosis (diabetes, cancer, etc), so any good physician welcomes a second opinion. If it's trauma F&A surgery, then you still have a choice of surgeon - contrary to popular belief. There are exceedingly few F&A cases that truly need to have the definitive fix done that night. Sure, you might need an I&D, fasciotomy, or ex fix at 2am for some severe trauma or infections, but you can still pick who will do the definitive surgery, which will probably be the most important to long term outcome.
 
Last edited:
I graduated years ago and never pursued this profession. I think it was a bad choice, but that is another topic for debate. I know of collegues that are doing good & those that are doing bad, all pods.
First, you're not a podiatrist...

Hi Some of these numbers seem close to what I have heard..over 500 students, under 500 slots.

But, I was not aware that there were close to "20 that did not get a program" last year. Last year when I looked into it I was told there were just a few students not placed & new programs were being made for them...in summary I thought they were all placed.
...but you can't help but be curious about podiatric residency programs..

And yes, there will be other dpm's who be trying to get another postion.
...and even thought about obtaining a residency position...
What have I done to Help with this problem:
1. I have contacted the AACPM. It is not there problem, they just do the match according to them.
2. I contacted the Council on Podiatry or whatever there name is. I talked to a girl & explained the situation. She took notes as I rambled on for a good 10 minutes or more. She said someone would call me back. No One did.
...why would you even call the AACPM when you're not a podiatrist

On the above, I explained we were better off with a one year PPMR, RPR, or POR programs then all these stupid PMS 24 & 26...at least then there could be more programs & students placed, like it used to be years ago.
But students all wanted surgery, so you got what so many wanted.
...but surely has plenty of opinions
I would go to an orthopod before a podiatrist for any big foot surgeries anyway...& I am a Podiatrist. I have friends who are making 100,000+ a year...clipping & chipping, that is all they do. Most of the money they make on house calls.
...and NOW, you're a podiatrist again...


We need to get these PPMR, POR, & RPR's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES>>>>we need these programs, ask, ask & ask again.

3. I have contacted a local hospital on staring a program, they did not call back. Need to reach their residency director.
So....I am doing my share...what about the rest of you.

Call AACPM
Call the Podiatry Council.
Call Complain
Call a hospital....and talk to their residency director.
Call the schools...all of them.
We did not need 2 more schools, that was stupid!


In looking over the programs I am disappointed that I do not see any directors that I graduated with...I take that back, think I saw one.

Do your part!!!!!!!
I am trying at least!
Not just a podiatrist...but a vocal podiatrist...

And THAT...class, is a classic case of schizophrenia:laugh:
 
Yes...I am a Podiatrist...I have the degree..DPM.

What you mean is that I am not a real doctor becuse I never pursued the career for certain reasons. So I never got my ... "License"...so I am not able to use DR. in front of my name. I am allowed to use DPM after my name. That according to the state medical board.

Yes, I matched way back when I graduated...I ranked only 2 programs & got one. Those who ranked 10-20 programs, well I know many who did not match & had to scramble.

That was a while ago & feel that if I would want to get into practice I would need a "REFRESHER"..so another program.

Thanks for all your input.
 
Yes...I am a Podiatrist...I have the degree..DPM.

What you mean is that I am not a real doctor becuse I never pursued the career for certain reasons. So I never got my ... "License"...so I am not able to use DR. in front of my name. I am allowed to use DPM after my name. That according to the state medical board.

Yes, I matched way back when I graduated...I ranked only 2 programs & got one. Those who ranked 10-20 programs, well I know many who did not match & had to scramble.

That was a while ago & feel that if I would want to get into practice I would need a "REFRESHER"..so another program.

Thanks for all your input.
In that case, best of luck to you.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I truly believe the only reason I do not have a position right now is because of the shortage. I have an interview tomorrow which might change that. I was holding onto a chance I had in the beginning of the scramble at a program in a city I wanted to stay in. I was told I had a really good chance of getting it so I hung around there instead of travelling and visiting other programs. After I found out I lost the spot a lot of positions were taken already. Another mistake on my part. I've never dealt with this before so I didn't know how to go about doing this. I don't think that makes me a bad candidate who does not deserve a residency.

Greattoe, I can totally relate to your situation. I was there and still am in a way; at least I can do conservative care podiatry though. Don't beat yourself up about this. Podiatry has been having residency shortage problems forever. The only way the profession is going to solve this is either to allow 1 or 2 year residency models or to make more residency slots. The CPME is moving to a 3 year model so that option is out. It may be a longshot but here's a suggestion. See if any teaching hospitals near you have podiatry services in your area. Ask if they would be willing to start a residency program. Find a podiatrist willing to be the director. The director does NOT have to be board certified, only have had residency training. I've been around the block a gazillion times with this, but now that CPME has dropped the board cert requirement it's made things a bit easier. If you're going this route CPME will work with you, help you. You can contact me off site if you want. :xf:
 
Thanks Podpal, I know some spots are going to open up so I'm going to wait but I'll keep you in mind if something doesn't happen in the next month or so. I've interviewed at programs, but they are waiting on financial approval.

Dtrack...I pray and hope you don't find yourself scrambling when it comes time for you to match. You'll have an even bigger shortage to deal with and I wish you the best of luck. That goes for anyone else reading as well.

I'm optimistic I will get a program this year, I just need to wait. I do feel that the shortage this year will decrease, but that does not solve the problem for future years and for those qualified individuals who will not get a spot. I cannot judge who is and who is not qualified in the current scramble. I've got my own life and future to worry about. I did pass part 2 boards though, which I feel should increase my chances of doing a residency this year. 🙂 Thank you to everyone else who have shown me support. Have a good day!
 
One aspect of this scramble that I dont think has been addressed is outside factors. For example, Podpal, do you have family or other things that would prevent you from picking up and moving clear across the country? Are you trying to find a residency only in california (i think that is where you are from)?
 
Airbud do you know how many people are scrambling at dmu? Or anyone else there that would know?
 
i am just a lowly first year, but i will try and find out. Remember, DMU is the best school ever-anywhere-infinity, so the answer is probably -9, but i will check nonetheless
 
I do know it's the best that's why I'm going there next year. Thanks for looking into it though.
 
Hi...from my understanding there are not enought residency programs this year again. Somewhere I read on this forum this exact topic before. I was not able to locate it. My question is why do schools continue to take students when there are not programs for them when they graduate.

I graduated years ago and never pursued this profession. I think it was a bad choice, but that is another topic for debate. I know of collegues that are doing good & those that are doing bad, all pods.

What will be done if there are not enough programs. There are more students then programs...pretty much a known fact.

In short, the schools are "for profit" and the programs have no incentive to take additional bodies, causing a decreased patient load for the residents already in house. I graduated pod school in the 90's, quit after a few years of practicing and now I'm finishing my 2nd year residency in family medicine. These problems existed when I was in school as well as before and after. The schools have absolutely no reason to be up front with their matriculants re: the economics/politics of podiatry academics. I do agree that every single graduate (who also passed their boards) DESERVES a residency spot. For the schools to continually admit more students than can be trained after graduation is a real stain on the profession.
 
In short, the schools are "for profit" and the programs have no incentive to take additional bodies, causing a decreased patient load for the residents already in house. I graduated pod school in the 90's, quit after a few years of practicing and now I'm finishing my 2nd year residency in family medicine. These problems existed when I was in school as well as before and after. The schools have absolutely no reason to be up front with their matriculants re: the economics/politics of podiatry academics. I do agree that every single graduate (who also passed their boards) DESERVES a residency spot. For the schools to continually admit more students than can be trained after graduation is a real stain on the profession.

DMU-CPMS is a non-profit university.
 
OCPM is not for profit and they have the largest class size.

It does not matter if they are not for profit or for profit. The schools have no incentive to reduce class sizes and all the incentive to increase class sizes.
 
OCPM is not for profit and they have the largest class size.

It does not matter if they are not for profit or for profit. The schools have no incentive to reduce class sizes and all the incentive to increase class sizes.

I like the idea (that was once mentioned on here before) that schools should be held accountable for the outcomes of their students. If a certain % of their students fail their boards or don't match, the schools should be penalized.

The questionable podiatric schools should be forced to either increase their standards of admission or lower their class size or both. This would increase their credibility, decrease class sizes, and help with the residency shortage situation in the long haul.

This will never happen though so this rant is pointless...
 
I like the idea (that was once mentioned on here before) that schools should be held accountable for the outcomes of their students. If a certain % of their students fail their boards or don't match, the schools should be penalized.

The questionable podiatric schools should be forced to either increase their standards of admission or lower their class size or both. This would increase their credibility, decrease class sizes, and help with the residency shortage situation in the long haul.

This will never happen though so this rant is pointless...

You can't single out schools though. Even DMU, for all of its SDN glory, had a 23 MCAT avg and 3.25 sGPA avg this year (MCAT was 25 the year before). A 23 with 3.25gpa is hardly impressive, and thats just the average. Any changes need to be across the board.

Also, I think admissions departments are in a catch-22. They have to be fully aware of the likely success of some students, but the fact of the matter is that there are not enough high caliber students in the applicant pool.
 
Last edited:
Hi...Again I just skimmed this post.

You want to know what it takes to get a residency?

Do good on your interview. For the most part, in my class, a lot did not match. I had an interview based on clinical stuff. I then had a social interview. Only 2 I applied for. I already knew that the place I did the clinical, ..well the resident did not like me much, so I figured that was a long shot. The other one I knew I had a chance at...and I got it.

You are all worried about grades, where you rank...don't be.

It is how you present yourself. I was fortuante...I am personable, business background & knew how to read the person interviewing me. I was accepted at all 3 schools I applied. Why?...I knew how to talk & present myself. I learned that out in the workplace. I went to pod school late. So, I worked a lot before & knew how to deal with people. To me that was an advantage that others do not have. The ones that placed where a lot of students who had experience outside of school...they had worked. Non traditional students.

I new a kid who was in every club, president of this club, vp of that club, etc, etc, etc. Went & visted so many programs...spent a lot of money visting programs.... He was very popular in school. He knew everyone & everything. NO..he did not match & did not get a program. What I heard was someplace made a program for him. How true the making of the program was I have no idea.

Today he does have a practice.

REMEMBER...know how to interview, besides all the clicical stuff. Can you present yourself well. Just like a job! Dress nice, look sharp & do not let them get the upper hand. YOU handle it!

Footpodguy, DPM
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are all worried about grades, where you rank...don't be.


This is obviously a bit of an overstatement, most good residency programs I was looking at online have requirements, you have to be in the top __% of you class or you have to have over a 3.0 etc. Yes the other stuff is just as important, but grades and rank do matter!
 
This is obviously a bit of an overstatement, most good residency programs I was looking at online have requirements, you have to be in the top __% of you class or you have to have over a 3.0 etc. Yes the other stuff is just as important, but grades and rank do matter!


are you prepod or a pod student?

yes, there are programs with requirements. not all have them listed. passing boards though is a pre-req for all.

I don;t think the OP said grades do not matter. In his experience grades were only part of it. there is something to be said though, about the whole package. I'm sure the interview process is way different than getting in was, in terms of the focus on clinical. I could be wrong. any currently matched students care to comment? were you asked about grades mostly at every interview??
 
I am only a lowly first year, but everytime this whole "grades" thing comes up, I think people miss the point. There are a lot of indirect ways to measure grades. Apply to do research at your school--you don't think someone would pull up your grades if you are only a first year?? Apply to do the summer residency program--they arent going to look at grades instead of the nice letter your wrote?? Not including exceptions, do you really expect a 80 percent student to do better than a 95 percent student come clinical time? Don't you think faculty needs a way to evaluate you your first few years? When asked for a quick opinion, who do you think your advisor will throw his weight behind? I have personally received congratulatory emails from important faculty after my performance on some tests. Think they don't remember that? For the most part, everybody in pod school is pretty smart, so what is the difference between 95 and 80? Work ethic comes into play, and there are many ways for that to be observed. Am I using too many question marks in this post???? yes? It is late (early), first neuro exam at 8 am. But I still think you can't separate grades from other stuff. Think of it like a malignant tumor---poorly differentiated and poorly circumscribed. Bad analogy? I need sleep. Bottom line, there are multiple ways for "grades" to manifest themselves, and most people on here saying otherwise are the ones not getting A's, trying to rationalize their efforts (or lack there of) over the past few years.
 
Last edited:
bottom line...get good grades (above a 3.0) no one cares if you get all A's as long as you don't have poor grades no one will question or even care

don't suck at life...fit in where you want to go, you will know if they like you or not, don't wait for the program to come to you...go out and get it!

visit A LOT (as long as you know you are wanted...a resident will say oh hey so and so we miss you! or so glad youre back! or the director knows your name!)

be friendly, helpful, and know your clinical stuff...STANDOUT!

then you got your program

~4th yr student graduating with a program