Are there Mac/Apple PDA equivalents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CYP3A4

P450
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning my rotations this summer and I am interested in buying a PDA or a Pilot. The problem is I own an iMac and I would prefer something that is compatible with it. Do such products exist? Would an iPhone be capable of serving as a useful resource while on rotations?

I guess I am also confused about how Micromedex and Lexicomp work. Are these programs or are they services you access via the internet with a paid subscription?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

you want a palm. It's the only PDA that will sync with your mac. I'm sure you can tell by looking at my avatar, how much I love winblows! They don't make any software that I am aware of at this time that would sync with an iphone.

Epocrates is coming out for the iPhone in June. I am certain that Lexicomp will follow since there is a big push by doctors and medical staff that have iPhones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some medical software are already available on iPhone. Lexi-comp is working on it. Palm PDAs can also synchronize with AppleOS.

you want a palm. It's the only PDA that will sync with your mac. I'm sure you can tell by looking at my avatar, how much I love winblows! They don't make any software that I am aware of at this time that would sync with an iphone.

"Winblows" :laugh: How clever, did you make that up yourself? I thought your avatar was intended to give Microsoft free advertising.

There's a program listed on the Mac OS website called The Missing Sync . Still more cleverness. I've never used it so this is in no way an endorsement. A Google search might yield more information - maybe even reviews.

Thanks for the replies.....hmmm....I will either look into the Palm thingy or see what happens with the iPhones.

The Epocrates client coming out for the iPhone in June seems very promising, see if you can google the video in youtube, but the thing will even have pictures of the drugs, high quality ones, thanks to the iPhone's great screen. If you don't have an iPhone or don't want one, you might wanna wait til June and see if the applications will work on the iPod Touch, maybe you'll like the combination.

Oh and I forgot to add, some schools will either give you the program for free ( for palm only, at least the cases I've seen ), or give you a big discount for the program. So you might wanna wait until school starts or ask them.

The Epocrates client coming out for the iPhone in June seems very promising, see if you can google the video in youtube, but the thing will even have pictures of the drugs, high quality ones, thanks to the iPhone's great screen. If you don't have an iPhone or don't want one, you might wanna wait til June and see if the applications will work on the iPod Touch, maybe you'll like the combination.

Oh and I forgot to add, some schools will either give you the program for free ( for palm only, at least the cases I've seen ), or give you a big discount for the program. So you might wanna wait until school starts or ask them.

Thanks for this extra bit of info. I believe my school does offer Micromedex for free.

I agree that the iPhone or iPod Touch is a great option. As others have mentioned, there will be a fully compatible Epocrates release in June; meanwhile, you can access the online edition via wifi. I expect Lexi-Comp and Skyscape will soon offer their programs, as well. It's a safe bet that Apple has delivered the next generation mobile platform of choice, and the software developers know it.

Of course, if you want a device that has many applications already available, you could try a Blackberry. Just about any medical program you could want is supported, and no one does e-mail better. They are now fully compatible with Macs, and the user-interface is slick.

I would advise that you stay away from Palm devices. In my opinion, Palm is a company that looks too much to the past, instead of the future. Frankly, they're as good as dead if they don't get their act together. It's been a long time since they've delivered anything innovative; indeed, it's been years since they last updated the operating system. And, keep in mind, the Palm OS was never intended for multitasking, web browsing, etc. It manages, but it's quite clumsy compared with competing solutions. I think the only people who will be satisfied with a Palm today are those who are already using their products (i.e., loyal customers who wish to upgrade to a new device). If you're not already accustomed to the Palm OS, there is no reason to go that route.

"Winblows" :laugh: How clever, did you make that up yourself? I thought your avatar was intended to give Microsoft free advertising.

I wish I could take credit for that dig...but it's an old saying for apple diehards like me! If you look at my avatar, you will notice it's still loading :rolleyes:

I wish I could take credit for that dig...but it's an old saying for apple diehards like me! If you look at my avatar, you will notice it's still loading :rolleyes:

And then you do something, or install something ... and have to reset no matter what ... and it takes forever again to load :D

epocrates for the iphone is amazing!!!! It just came out 7/11/08 with the launch of the new iphone and new update-I play with it all day during work- you can get the iphone and have everything in one- save your self the cost of a palm pilot!!!

epocrates for the iphone is amazing!!!! It just came out 7/11/08 with the launch of the new iphone and new update-I play with it all day during work- you can get the iphone and have everything in one- save your self the cost of a palm pilot!!!

And it's free! It even has the pill images :D

Has epocrates improved their drug info? I know the free epocrates was only able to answer 53% of questions correctly vs. 75% for Lexi-Drugs in a study last year.