Are there major differences between schools' "cultures"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flapjack3d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a rough list of med schools I might be interested in applying to. I'm wondering if there's major differences in schools' cultures. By this I mean "collaborative-ness" (?) / gunner-ism, especially, but also minor things like being outdoorsy, partying a lot, formality, or being very hierarchical b/w years.
I mean, I'm sure there's some differences in the students who are attracted to UVM vs Loma Linda, but how about between all the big city, traditional top 20 schools like Northwestern, U Chicago, Stanford, Duke, Emory, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

some have a beer tax, others dont.

Reactions: 1 user
My school is pretty collegial overall, but there are distinct social groups that people will hang out in. However, being a part of one clique doesn't at all preclude you from hanging out with other people, it's just a normal social dynamic that will form in any group of people. I would say that the atmosphere is collaborative (we work on problem sets as a class over facebook, give the rest of our class our study materials that we make, etc). People are also fairly athletic, outdoorsy (though not everyone), and we party way more than we should. People are also all extremely musically talented for whatever reason.