Are these good materials to study for DAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minnie90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1).I just bought some books to prepare for DAT. Do u guys think they r good enough?

- Kaplan blue DAT book
- Topscore DAT
- Columbia Review High-Yield Biology by Bresnick MD
- Columbia Review High - Yield Organic Chemistry
- Columbia Review High-Yield General Chemistry

2). I'm an International student and have been in US for high school for 2 yrs. Now I'm an freshman in college. What do u guys think about the chance to get into a Dental School w/ an International student?

3). Since I'm freshman, so when should I start to study for DAT? ^_^

Any opinions will be appreciated!!! Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

1).I just bought some books to prepare for DAT. Do u guys think they r good enough?

- Kaplan blue DAT book
- Topscore DAT
- Columbia Review High-Yield Biology by Bresnick MD
- Columbia Review High - Yield Organic Chemistry
- Columbia Review High-Yield General Chemistry

2). I'm an International student and have been in US for high school for 2 yrs. Now I'm an freshman in college. What do u guys think about the chance to get into a Dental School w/ an International student?

3). Since I'm freshman, so when should I start to study for DAT? ^_^

Any opinions will be appreciated!!! Thank you! :D

Worry about your gpa for now, come back in 2 years about your DAT.
It is tough for internationals but not impossible.
Those are good books, throw in Crack DAT PAT and achiever IMO.

Agree. Too early to worry about the DAT now. Just try to learn the material well in undergrad. Good Luck.

What is the average GPA that is good to get to Dental School? Overall GPA? Science GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
U remind of me 3 yrs ago.(THat's why I have 2+ yr member icon :D). I was like you, start studying for DAT since freshman. Unfortunately, it was not a good idea. As you take harder classes, you will change your study habit, and I think that will change the way you study for DAT.

By the way, I didn't know that Topscore was a book. Wasn't it supposed to be a online program?

International student...that's really tough. Even US citizens are having hard time when it comes out out of state schools.
most dental schools prefer their state residents.

To joonkimdds: 2+ yr member icon ---> niceee...! :D R u Senior now or already got into Dental School?

About the TopScore, ooppp...., my mistake, it's CD. I just wanna include what I got for DAT. ^_^

I know it's really tough for International student but I hope still have chance for it. I'll try my best! :D

Last edited:

well said. dental school look at whole package specially for international student. keep your GPA high with good amount of upper level Biology courses.

Suggestion:
First, complete your associates/bachelor's, which will later on enable you to get a job as "OPT." Check at your international student's center in your college/univ to know better. While doing your OPT, ask your employer if he/she can apply for a permanent resident status for you or either an H1-B visa. Since you're planning to continue your education here in the states, I have a notion you're probably gonna settle your life here, too, so be well versed with the immigration laws. If you do get a perm Rez. status, you need not worry about the international factor, as it won't apply to you. Also, your chances of admissions increase as more than half the colleges for dental and medicine do not even accept admission appeals from International students. Besides, having such a status <b>might</b> even enable you to apply for financial aid or some sort of grant or support from your college. That's what I usually hear people do. I cannot guarantee you, but do talk to your college's/univ's counselor about this.

As far as the DATs go, I wouldn't know. I am in my Sophomore and haven't started with my MCATs yet.

Good luck. Just try to keep the cum, and sciencs GPA at a commendable level.