are these taxes normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last check had about 33% taxes on it!? Is this normal?
I have negligible deductions (~20 for healthcare, no other insurances or 401k or anything).

Members don't see this ad.

I have negligible deductions (~20 for healthcare, no other insurances or 401k or anything).
Lol try living in Cali where you keep about 55% of your check after taxes, 401k and health. If you work a lot of OT you can actually keep about 60% after you max out these FED/MED OASDI taxes which i'm about to soon.

Welcome to the real world.

If you max out your 401 (k) and health saving account, then your take home is like < 45% (in CA).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the real world.

If you max out your 401 (k) and health saving account, then your take home is like < 45% (in CA).

I max out both and my take home is roughly 52-53%. I'm reaching some limits on Taxes so I should get close to 60%. Still 40% of money down the drain is rough.

You don't put anything into your 401k? What the hell is wrong with you?

Reactions: 5 users
I max out both and my take home is roughly 52-53%. I'm reaching some limits on Taxes so I should get close to 60%. Still 40% of money down the drain is rough.

What is the max out for HSA?

I keep a little under 60% of my pay after taxes, insurance, and 10% going to 401k.

Hey, that's the cost of doing business. I pay more in taxes than my techs make in a year. It sucks, but it's a good problem to have.

You should stick some of that money into your retirement account. It'll reduce your tax burden.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish my taxes were 33%... I live in a high tax blue state and mine as a single person with no kids is around 36%. Wish the government focused and cared more about those of us with high financial confiscation rates. At least it's not to the levels of Europe or Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
True all you get for it are roads and bridges and schools and SSI and the military and civilization.
I think civilization predates taxes.

If there were no taxes...there'd be no board of pharmacy...to give us all the restricted-access career that makes all of us so much money. Not to mention all those on medicaid, medicare, and obamacare inflating our script numbers and, thus, demand for labor.

Any pharmacist that hates taxes really hasn't thought it through too well.

True all you get for it are roads and bridges and schools and SSI and the military and civilization.
Yeah!

It's not like they'll kill you or throw you in jail for not paying or something

I think civilization predates taxes.

I doubt Rome built all those roads without taxes. Which ancient civilization didn't have taxes?

Yeah!

It's not like they'll kill you or throw you in jail for not paying or something

I didn't say it was optional. Although the death sentence for tax evasion seems a bit steep.

I doubt Rome built all those roads without taxes. Which ancient civilization didn't have taxes?

This quora answer puts the first civilization (a walled area with a religious building) at 8000 BC. And Wikipedia says "The first known system of taxation was in Ancient Egypt around 3000–2800 BC in the first dynasty of the Old Kingdom."

This quora answer puts the first civilization (a walled area with a religious building) at 8000 BC. And Wikipedia says "The first known system of taxation was in Ancient Egypt around 3000–2800 BC in the first dynasty of the Old Kingdom."

Sure, but in those days your tithes were your taxes since church and state were the same entity. If you want to go back to that system and thus be "tax free" I guess that would be one option.

Sure, but in those days your tithes were your taxes since church and state were the same entity. If you want to go back to that system and thus be "tax free" I guess that would be one option.
Hell yes. I'll take a "you're going to hell" admonition over jail time for failure to pay up any day.

I didn't say it was optional. Although the death sentence for tax evasion seems a bit steep.
I suppose the men who come to arrest tax evaders carry those guns just for fun. lol.

Hell yes. I'll take a "you're going to hell" admonition over jail time for failure to pay up any day.

You know I had a similar thought! I mean my taxes don't guarantee me a spot in heaven so it does seem like a bit of a rip off compared to tithes.

I suppose the men who come to arrest tax evaders carry those guns just for fun. lol.

So you think a lot of tax evaders end up as suicide by cop? Or maybe you are implying that the people who come to arrest tax evaders carry guns so that they can enact a little "street justice" to the people threatening their paychecks?

So you know as much about individual tax payers having been shot by IRS agents coming to arrest them as you do about Dentist's scope of practice.

Reactions: 3 users
It's more if you're married and on the same plan. Mine is $221 after you take out the $1000 CVS give you every year.
true - well - not if you are married, but if you have a family plan - I am married, but my wife is not on my insurance. I think it goes up to 5500 or so

Al Capone was just a simple tax evader and look at how long they locked him up for. Sad.

I was going to point out that if Al Capone could survive being arrested for tax evasion than I suspect most tax evaders somehow survive the men with guns who come to arrest them.

So you know as much about individual tax payers having been shot by IRS agents coming to arrest them as you do about Dentist's scope of practice.

You seem to be laser focused™ on this issue, Mr. Consumer Value Store.

Considering that there was one reasonable DDS in the thread that agreed with me, while the DDS that agreed with you believed that managing a hypertensive crisis with Clonidine was a good idea and within scope for dentists, you should probably rethink your position.
Watching that guy dance around giving straight answers to my questions was hilarious.

Besides, how do you have time for all this debate?
Don't you have rewards cards to be offering people?

Last edited:
You know I had a similar thought! I mean my taxes don't guarantee me a spot in heaven so it does seem like a bit of a rip off compared to tithes.

So you think a lot of tax evaders end up as suicide by cop? Or maybe you are implying that the people who come to arrest tax evaders carry guns so that they can enact a little "street justice" to the people threatening their paychecks?

Uhhh, how else do you think the government pays for all of those chemtrail gets.

You seem to be laser focused™ on this issue, Mr. Consumer Value Store.

Considering that there was one reasonable DDS in the thread that agreed with me, while the DDS that agreed with you believed that managing a hypertensive crisis with Clonidine was a good idea and within scope for dentists, you should probably rethink your position.
Watching that guy dance around giving straight answers to my questions was hilarious.

Besides, how do you have time for all this debate?
Don't you have rewards cards to be offering people?

You continue to just make stuff up. Every dentist in that thread said it was legal to do so. The dentist you referred to said it was not a good idea and was best left to an MD. But he DID NOT say it was illegal. And again, please show us proof that IRS agents are loading up their M16's to collect money from individual tax payers. You can't because it doesn't exist except in your mind.

Wait. I saw this on the ball ride at Epcot. The Egyptians created papyrus to keep track of taxes and then the Romans were later on in the ride so youre right.

Mr. Justice Holmes said “Taxes are what we pay for civilized society.” Too many individuals, however, want the civilization at a discount.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

I don't know sometimes I feel quite ripped off as I do not have any children in schools yet and I am young enough such that Social sec may go broke. On a property tax bill in my area lots of dollars go to school district and county hospital which I do not even use.

I don't know sometimes I feel quite ripped off as I do not have any children in schools yet and I am young enough such that Social sec may go broke. On a property tax bill in my area lots of dollars go to school district and county hospital which I do not even use.

If the schools were crappy your property values would also be crappy.......

This attitude always confuses me, you do realize you benefit from other people having an education right?

This attitude always confuses me, you do realize you benefit from other people having an education right?
Or if we only paid for education when our kids were in school - our taxes would skyrocket as soon as they enter kindergarten - then a good chunk of people couldn't afford it, then we have all these kids dropping out so mom and dad can afford their house....

I'm fine with paying for education. We need a generation of people who can perform the menial tasks I need done. Like driving delivery trucks, serving me in restaurants, etc. I just think those of us not stupid enough to have children who also pay local education taxes should have a holiday. It's all we ask. We should get a gift card to a local eatery and a nice card in the mail from the local PTA. Because of my decision not to reproduce, your kid is # 57 in his class rather than #58. Show some appreciation.

Reactions: 5 users
If the schools were crappy your property values would also be crappy.......

Yes that is the issue I am facing when purchasing. Go all cash in a mediocre neighborhood and spend more on after school enrichment, or make use of mortgage deduction for a better school district. Also there is better appreciation in nicer neighborhood...

I mean I guess, but so many of our jobs in today's society require no more than 6th grade reading and mathematics. Enough customers come to my pharmacy illiterate (unable to fill out immunization form) and they still are able to survive.

Yeah, but like, without taxes and schools we never would've had nukular bombs.