Are tuition fees for Irish Med Schools tax deductible in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarryK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if tuition paid by a Canadian to any of the Irish Medical Schools is tax deductible in Canada (against income in Canada).
I realize that the student would need to have Canadian income to make use of the deduciton, but lets assume that they do.

I saw this artice in today's Financial Post saying it needs to be a university and that it needs to be a school that can grant degrees.
If you read the article, its one of those grey areas..
http://www.financialpost.com/opinion/columnists/Tough+lesson+tuition/4314046/story.html

Anyway, I am not sure whether any of the Irish Schools would qualify, also not sure if being a "college" is different than being a "University"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_University_of_Ireland

Has someone encountered this issue, and can you deduct tuition fees off Canadian income?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if tuition paid by a Canadian to any of the Irish Medical Schools is tax deductible in Canada (against income in Canada).
I realize that the student would need to have Canadian income to make use of the deduciton, but lets assume that they do.

I saw this artice in today's Financial Post saying it needs to be a university and that it needs to be a school that can grant degrees.
If you read the article, its one of those grey areas..
http://www.financialpost.com/opinion/columnists/Tough+lesson+tuition/4314046/story.html

Anyway, I am not sure whether any of the Irish Schools would qualify, also not sure if being a "college" is different than being a "University"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_University_of_Ireland

Has someone encountered this issue, and can you deduct tuition fees off Canadian income?

Yes, you can. The Irish universities are universities. University College Cork/Dublin/Galway is thesame as University College at UofT. Cheers,
M

>> Yes, you can. The Irish universities are universities. University College Cork/Dublin/Galway is thesame as University College at UofT. Cheers,

Thanks med2UCC,
Do we know if that includes RCSI

Members don't see this ad :)
>> Yes, you can. The Irish universities are universities. University College Cork/Dublin/Galway is thesame as University College at UofT. Cheers,

Thanks med2UCC,
Do we know if that includes RCSI

It should - it's a university. Cheers,
M

Yes, it does. You should know that the deduction is personal (i.e. your parents can't claim it even though you may a dependant). However, it is bankable against your future income.

I think that student loan interest is also tax deductable.

It should - it's a university. Cheers,
M

Last edited:
Yes, it does. You should know that the deduction is personal (i.e. your parents can't claim it even though you may a dependant). However, it is bankable against your future income.

I think that student loan interest is also tax deductable.

Do you know what documents I need to provide to the agent? Do I have to ask for a specific document from the office here in my university?

I'm not sure Jnuts is correct about the deduction, my parents deduct my tuition as I am a dependent, but yes you certainly can use the tuition as a deduction, we did it last year.

I'm not sure Jnuts is correct about the deduction, my parents deduct my tuition as I am a dependent, but yes you certainly can use the tuition as a deduction, we did it last year.

You're quite right, that condition might be more specific to my case than I originally thought. As per the last line of form TL11a:

"If you did not reside in the same province or territory as the designated individual on December 31, special rules may apply.
For more details, call 1-800-959-8281."

Please call Revenue Canada to confirm you are able to transfer the deduction before proceeding.

this is true, as a matter of fact, I just received a form from our accountant which allows me to transfer the tax deduction to my parents, it's a form for me which needs to be signed by RCSI and a place for me to sign. I don't know the number of the form though.