Are ya'll actually using a typewriter for the supplemental applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JB740i

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why these schools give us locked pdf files for their supplemental applications and then say to type. Are you printing, scanning and then filling them in or just finding a typewriter somewhere to use?

Members don't see this ad.

I hand wrote a number of my supplemental apps (basically all the ones that were pdfs.) I think it's ok, as long as you have very neat handwriting...
Now I could be wrong-

Old skool here. I'm writing all of the gpa worksheets and personal information by hand. I'll be typing the essays, though. I have decided, however, to print my final papers all on resume paper and send them in nice envelopes.

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
Some pharm students I talked to about applications told me that typewriting your application makes a very good impression on the adcoms, it shows that you are neat and prepare yourself for a good presentation. Personally, I prefer typed instead of handwriting anyway.

I used adobe professional at my school. I had to put in individual text boxes which was a pain, but I figured it was worth the effort.

I got frustrated writing my applications (such as USCs and Washington State Univ) because I have ugly handwriting, so I searched throughout the internet for a freeware to be able to type in pdfs. In the end, I asked some computer people if they had adobe professional software and went on a fatwallet forum and found foxit reader. I downloaded the foxit reader and cutepdf writer(both freewares and no problems yet of installed spyware and viruses)....and now I can make text boxes and type into these forms. Plus, you can save the data in the pdf so you'll never have to retype it. The downfall is that if you make a typo, then you'll have to redo it. I thought the quality was decent. It beats using a typewriter and photocopying it.

Try foxit reader (but you need cutepdf writer). :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

I found a program called ghostwriter but I couldn't get it to open. Got a link to the right one?

dreaminpharmd said:
I got frustrated writing my applications (such as USCs and Washington State Univ) because I have ugly handwriting, so I searched throughout the internet for a freeware to be able to type in pdfs. In the end, I asked some computer people if they had adobe professional software and went on a fatwallet forum and found foxit reader. I downloaded the foxit reader and ghostwriter (both freewares and no problems yet of installed spyware and viruses)....and now I can make text boxes and type into these forms. Plus, you can save the data in the pdf so you'll never have to retype it. The downfall is that if you make a typo, then you'll have to redo it. I thought the quality was decent. It beats using a typewriter and photocopying it.

Try foxit reader (but you need ghostwriter). :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

JB740i said:
I found a program called ghostwriter but I couldn't get it to open. Got a link to the right one?

I checked fatwallet....and it wasn't ghostwriter that I used. I think I was having problems with that one too, so I gave up. Here's the fatwallet link to read about foxit reader and cutepdf writer. Scroll down to scorpio.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/28/524123

dreaminpharmd said:
I checked fatwallet....and it wasn't ghostwriter that I used. I think I was having problems with that one too, so I gave up. Here's the fatwallet link to read about foxit reader and cutepdf writer. Scroll down to scorpio.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/28/524123

I love that forum! I never knew there was so much free/cheap stuff to be had. :D

BTW, I ended up using a coupon I got from fatwallet to buy a typewriter from OfficeMax for about $70-80.

I just types my responses in word, then copied & pasted into adobe acrobat, then printed the whole application. :D