-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are you a vegetarian?
Started by q1we3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Since you all aspire to save animals one would assume that majority of people in this field would be against eating meat. Yes or no? Just curious.
no.
Wanting to help animals is not mutually exclusive to eating meat.
👍👍no.
Wanting to help animals is not mutually exclusive to eating meat.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you all aspire to save animals one would assume that majority of people in this field would be against eating meat. Yes or no? Just curious.
Have you stopped watching TV? playing video games? and really you probably shouldn't be on the computer for too long either.... you are straining your eyes........
Since you strive to save eyes... I would think you would be against putting any strain on your eyes....
and to answer your question... I am a fruitarian, since fruits have feelings - I only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.
Have you stopped watching TV? playing video games? and really you probably shouldn't be on the computer for too long either.... you are straining your eyes........
Since you strive to save eyes... I would think you would be against putting any strain on your eyes....
and to answer your question... I am a fruitarian, since fruits have feelings - I only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.
don't lie...you are a whiskey-etarian.
Interesting, so it doesn't bother you that in several countries people eat dogs, cats, horses as delicacies. Aren't you people all pro animal rights and such? I thought this field would have the most empathetic people towards animals. Animals are not to be harmed for human taste buds, you know that sort of thing.
Interesting, so it doesn't bother you that in several countries people eat dogs, cats, horses as delicacies. Aren't you people all pro animal rights and such? I thought this field would have the most empathetic people towards animals. Animals are not to be harmed for human taste buds, you know that sort of thing.
🙄
:troll:
Interesting, so it doesn't bother you that in several countries people eat dogs, cats, horses as delicacies. Aren't you people all pro animal rights and such? I thought this field would have the most empathetic people towards animals. Animals are not to be harmed for human taste buds, you know that sort of thing.
🙄
Hmmmmm.... perhaps you should go back to optometry.... and worry about eye rights....
and also there is a major difference between animal rights and animal welfare... look it up...
Interesting, so it doesn't bother you that in several countries people eat dogs, cats, horses as delicacies. Aren't you people all pro animal rights and such? I thought this field would have the most empathetic people towards animals. Animals are not to be harmed for human taste buds, you know that sort of thing.
It doesn't bother me at all, actually (may not be popular opinion here). If an animal is bred for food, I have no problem with them being used for food.
And no, some vets are pro animal rights, but most are pro animal welfare. They are different, do your research.
Strictly speaking, the only veterinarians who even come close to having careers compatible with an animal rights viewpoint are those involved in extremely noninvasive observation-based free-ranging wildlife work of some kind. And you can do that stuff with a Ph.D., realistically.
Vegan for five years 😍 but that is completely separate from my veterinary aspirations.
I love me a good medium rare steak. And burgers, and pork chops, and bacon, and now I'm hungry again. Thanks.
No. I think if animals eat other animals, then we can eat animals, too, as long as they are treated right before and during slaughter. I wanna be a food animal vet to help with just that.
We have horse meat in Germany. I don't like it but it doesn't bother me that other people eat it. It also doesn't bother me when people eat cats or dogs as long as they weren't hurt before or during preparation (which in some countries they are being hurt and that's where my problem lies with it).
We have horse meat in Germany. I don't like it but it doesn't bother me that other people eat it. It also doesn't bother me when people eat cats or dogs as long as they weren't hurt before or during preparation (which in some countries they are being hurt and that's where my problem lies with it).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no.
Wanting to help animals is not mutually exclusive to eating meat.
So true.
🙄
:troll:
I was totally going to go off on that. Thank you for keeping me sane.
I love me a good medium rare steak. And burgers, and pork chops, and bacon, and now I'm hungry again. Thanks.
Same here. You are an evil person for mentioning such delicacies.
🙄
and also there is a major difference between animal rights and animal welfare... look it up...
Don't care about the terms or useless definitions, if animal welfare or whatever you want to call it doesn't promote animals not being slaughtered for food then its a useless welfare. Just a excuse to eat animals for pleasure.
I am vegetarian and there are many vegetarians and even a few vegans in my class. I do think there are a higher percentage of vegetarians among the vet students I know than among the general population (then again, you could say that about Philadelphia in general, so I won't assume all vet schools have the same demographics).
That said, I think the phrasing of your questions is inflammatory and poorly thought out, and that while people on this section of the forum are very nice and willing to explain our field, you would get a better response if you ask questions differently.
You should also think about the fact that ALL medical fields, including vet med, including optometry, are built on the foundation of animal research and profit from the products of animal research, so therefore it would be rather hypocritical to have a true animal rights perspective as a veterinarian (by the way, check out animal rights versus animal welfare at the links below).
http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/default.asp
http://www.ncraoa.com/AR_AW_WhatYouShouldKnow.html
http://www.examiner.com/article/animal-welfare-vs-animal-rights-understanding-the-difference
That said, I think the phrasing of your questions is inflammatory and poorly thought out, and that while people on this section of the forum are very nice and willing to explain our field, you would get a better response if you ask questions differently.
You should also think about the fact that ALL medical fields, including vet med, including optometry, are built on the foundation of animal research and profit from the products of animal research, so therefore it would be rather hypocritical to have a true animal rights perspective as a veterinarian (by the way, check out animal rights versus animal welfare at the links below).
http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/default.asp
http://www.ncraoa.com/AR_AW_WhatYouShouldKnow.html
http://www.examiner.com/article/animal-welfare-vs-animal-rights-understanding-the-difference
Don't care about the terms or useless definitions, if animal welfare or whatever you want to call it doesn't promote animals not being slaughtered for food then its a useless welfare. Just a excuse to eat animals for pleasure.
So ignorant. 🙄
Don't care about the terms or useless definitions, if animal welfare or whatever you want to call it doesn't promote animals not being slaughtered for food then its a useless welfare. Just a excuse to eat animals for pleasure.
You are thinking of animal rights, which also says that animals shouldn't be kept as pets. Think about that as you cuddle with your animal friends.
Don't care about the terms or useless definitions, if animal welfare or whatever you want to call it doesn't promote animals not being slaughtered for food then its a useless welfare. Just a excuse to eat animals for pleasure.
I've noticed you don't care for "useless definitions". Eating animals for me isn't just for pleasure. I derive caloric value and nutrients from them, too. Especially since I tend to be slightly anemic and the taste of iron supplements makes me want to vomit.
I've noticed you don't care for "useless definitions". Eating animals for me isn't just for pleasure. I derive caloric value and nutrients from them, too. Especially since I tend to be slightly anemic and the taste of iron supplements makes me want to vomit.
Iron supplements do make me vomit. Had to take them for a few months last year...
Iron supplements do make me vomit. Had to take them for a few months last year...
even the enteric coated ones. Bleh. Nausea is no fun. took me a while to figure it out, too.
You are thinking of animal rights, which also says that animals shouldn't be kept as pets. Think about that as you cuddle with your animal friends.
Then change these rights or welfare. Take out animals can be used as a food for pleasure from one these animal welfare principles.
Then change these rights or welfare. Take out animals can be used as a food for pleasure from one these animal welfare principles.
Are you even speaking English here... This makes no sense
even the enteric coated ones. Bleh. Nausea is no fun. took me a while to figure it out, too.
I was a mess last year so I think it was the mix of the iron supplements and the underlying condition compounding together to make me so sick.
I love me a good medium rare steak. And burgers, and pork chops, and bacon, and now I'm hungry again. Thanks.
👍👍👍👍
Are you even speaking English here... This makes no sense
I wasn't sure if my English knowledge just wasn't good enough to comprehend, but apparently it doesn't make sense to others either. I feel better now.
Are you even speaking English here... This makes no sense
👍 I think this guy is just an animal rights nut and wants us all to give up meat which I will never do. I tried to be a vegetarian in 3rd grade. I made it a whole 2 days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Then change these rights or welfare. Take out animals can be used as a food for pleasure from one these animal welfare principles.
Do your research on the difference first, then we'll continue to respond.
Then change these rights or welfare. Take out animals can be used as a food for pleasure from one these animal welfare principles.
Yes because we, as vet students, have the ability to do so. 😕 Sorry if you were expecting everyone in this thread to have the same views as you.
Are you even speaking English here... This makes no sense
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
Why should that be removed?
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
State your reasoning. Preferably after you have read up on animal welfare versus rights.
Just because YOU don't think animals should be food doesn't me WE have to agree. In fact, WE ensure that meat is safe to eat (as a profession).
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
I am pretty sure no one wants to hear your opinion on what should or should not be in our oath.
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
No, it should not. That is a GOOD thing for veterinarians to do.
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
It is delicious. Why would you take it out?
I'm assuming you eat vegetables. Do you not care about their welfare and rights?
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
So you are not ok with animals being used for food... which we as humans need to nourish our bodies, but you are ok with animals being used for research which your own future career employs on chimpanzees and apes - performing tests on their eyes which are often very unpleasant.......
hmmmmm.......
stop talking out your ass......🙄
So you are not ok with animals being used for food... which we as humans need to nourish our bodies, but you are ok with animals being used for research which your own future career employs on chimpanzees and apes - performing tests on their eyes which are often very unpleasant.......
hmmmmm.......
stop talking out your ass......🙄
If there was no other source of food then it would be fine. But there are other alternatives to eating just animals.
If there was no other source of food then it would be fine. But there are other alternatives to eating just animals.
You're right. I eat animals AND fruit AND veggies. Problem solved.
If there was no other source of food then it would be fine. But there are other alternatives to eating just animals.
Yes, but we don't utilize those sources as well in regards to obtaining minerals, vitamins, etc. And you also have to eat larger quantities.
I do definitely agree that the way food animals are treated need to be improved though.
It is delicious. Why would you take it out?
I'm assuming you eat vegetables. Do you not care about their welfare and rights?
Harvesting of fruits and vegetables don't require the plant to be killed, meat does.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Harvesting of fruits and vegetables don't require the plant to be killed, meat does.
Well technically you could amputate a turkey leg without killing the animal....
mmmmmm turkey leg.
Harvesting of fruits and vegetables don't require the plant to be killed, meat does.
That depends on the vegetable, doesn't it? Some veggies are killed to be eaten.
Meat protein is better for certain things.
Personally, I don't care if you want to eat no meat and think it is wrong. I do mind that you are judging me and those in my profession for eating meat.
If there was no other source of food then it would be fine. But there are other alternatives to eating just animals.
You killed the apples?? You ripped the seed bearing uterus off the tree!! That poor apple tree put a lot of energy into that apple, to regenerate, to continue the generation of apple trees and then you come along and take away all its hard work... How dare you. And don't get me started on carrots... poor roots.
That depends on the vegetable, doesn't it? Some veggies are killed to be eaten.
Meat protein is better for certain things.
Personally, I don't care if you want to eat no meat and think it is wrong. I do mind that you are judging me and those in my profession for eating meat.
👍
"The responsible use of animals for human purposes, such as companionship, food, recreation, work, education, exhibition, and research conducted for the benefit of both humans and animals, is consistent with the Veterinarian's Oath."
That should be removed.
Do you realize that just because you remove that, doesn't mean people stop eating meat? It just means that people eat unsafe meat. So I don't see your point.
I can't really contribute to this from the point of a vet or vet student. I am vegetarian myself, but strive to be a plastic surgeon. Strange combination, I know.
With me, I come to the belief that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. We have alternatives, there is no reason to contribute to the horrible conditions of factory farming because you crave a steak. I wouldn't be so harsh if animals were treated properly before being butchered. Sadly, they usually are not. So I practice the belief that I have alternatives that keep me alive and well, but also do not contribute to imprisonment and torture.
And I think that opinion is ok. There are ways to eat meat without getting it from factory farms.
Hunting for example. I don't like hunting just for fun or because you want deer antlers. But I don't mind hunting if you know how to quickly kill the animal and then use it for food and other things.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K